are you 100% sure ?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (57 posts)
  1. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

Can anyone (Atheists) be 100% sure that mankind is the highest intelectruleing over the realm of ..LIFE..  on earth.
       Is evolution smarter than we are?  Is Evolution the ultimate authority.??  Or is kayos ?

1. AdsenseStrategies profile image64
      AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'd say we can be a hundred percent sure that we are all in deep do-do BECAUSE Man is the highest form of intelligence... because our form is not so, well, great, from what I can see

2. AdsenseStrategies profile image64

As for Kaos, that one song was good, but otherwise...

3. AdsenseStrategies profile image64

And, no, evolution is not smarter than, ahem, *us*. That's just silly

4. tantrum profile image60
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I hope not ! If it's the highest, that would mean that God exists. A terrible second rate god.

5. kess profile image60
      kessposted 14 years agoin reply to this

On planet Earth man is the highest intelligent being.

In all existence God is the highest, but all He has He Gave to His sons.

Therefore the Sons of God have the intelligence of their Father.

Now He the Father is infinitely Growing and so are the Sons, nevertheless since the Father is a combination of the growth of all the sons He will forever be ahead.

Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

@ kess ... I agree with what you said
        And apologize for not seeing your comment and responding sooner.

Been working way too much lately.
          And didn't express in original statement what was intended. 

I think I expressed my intent a little better in a later response.
           Everyone should be 100% sure of their beliefs before we lead others away from their own.. A certain amount of accountability comes with changing others beliefs,.. I think.

6. Cly Walsh profile image60
      Cly Walshposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Evolution isn't a biological entity so it cannot be 'smart'.

Ultimate authority in what? How can either biological evolution or chaos be an authority in anything?

2. Colebabie profile image59
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

what is kayos? (sorry)

3. Hokey profile image62
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

After the way you spell I give up on people.   hmm

1. Colebabie profile image59
      Colebabieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ohhhh chaos? I thought it was something I didn't know about.

2. Jerami profile image59

Me too...  Not really ...  Caint give up...  or should I?
      If I had spelled Chaos correctly two coments would not have been made. even though you knew what I intended to say this is the best answer that I get?

I honestly thought it was something new I had never heard of. And although I did post a comment, it had nothing to do with the topic. Not a benefit to this thread at all. (Other than for clarification purposes of course)

Are you 100% sure of ......?????

Its not a good question. Sorry, but it just isn't. To me there really isn't 100% anything.

1. drej2522 profile image69
              drej2522posted 14 years agoin reply to this

somebody must know everything, Cole...(whispers) somebody must...

1. tantrum profile image60

Well, I'm  100 % sure. But don't tell anybody ! big_smile

1. Hokey profile image62
                  Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. Cly Walsh profile image60

Would that be James Cole?

2. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

haha
        good response, Jerami.
        Hope you're doing well tonight.
        .....now I'm exiting thread 'cause I'm not atheist;  a "theist" on some level perhaps,  but not atheist. wink

HI Brenda... I still doin.. been workin all day ..again.  Been painting a dark green over pink.. in their bedroom.  three coats rolling four cut in.  Some colors just aint worth it.
             Been a good Day..  everyone gotta be doin something.

3. AdsenseStrategies profile image64

Here's a more straightforward answer.

No we cannot be 100% sure of that. Unless you mean, among all animals. Even then, an argument could perhaps be made that dolphins are smarter, but I suspect a brain biologist would make mincemeat of that (if you'll pardon the expression)... It is hard to imagine a creature that does not have language (by which I mean English, Chinese, or what have you) being more intelligent than the most intelligent of us.

Evolution is not an authority at all, as far as I can see. First of all, things like plate tectonics, geological processes, the power of the sea, an asteroid hitting the earth, could in a sense be said to be more "powerful" than evolution. Second, man and animals both act upon their environments, so random nature, or genetic hereditaty processes are not the only "powers" that can act.

No, everything is not chaos. But some things are, in my opinion.

And of course, strictly speaking, there could be a God, Brahma, Great Spirit, or something, I guess

1. Hokey profile image62

It's mice. They have a book.

1. Disappearinghead profile image60
            Disappearingheadposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes little white mice rule the world which is nothing more than a computer designed to work out the meaning of 42, but unfortunatley got blown up by the Vogons to make way for a hyperspace by-pass. It's all in the book.

1. earnestshub profile image79
              earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And still more believable than the bible or quoran! lol

*shakes fist at the Vogons*

Thank you for your streight forward answer.
             My  thoughts exactly.   We can not be 100% sure of anything.

No wait. I still think we can be 100% sure at this point that humans are the most intelligent animal... if by "we" you include biologists, ethologists, biopsychologists, animal behaviourists, and so on...

4. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I suspect that mud is smarter than some people! Most animals seem smarter and behave better than many people, and according to "The hitch hiker's Guide to the Galaxy" mice are really running the world, having examined us thoroughly for many aeons. smile

Well, it wasn't just the mice that vacated the earth at the last minute, if I recall, thanking us for all the fish and so on

2. AdsenseStrategies profile image64

Speaking of what you just wrote, Earnesthub, and speaking also of Buddhism, I saw a video this weekend of the Dalai Lama, in which he said exactly that he does not think you have to be religious to be moral, and he illustrated the point by talking about "kind," goodnatured animals (cats, dogs, etc), versus aggressive or mean ones (given they obviously do not follow a religion)!

I have enjoyed a lot of what he has said over the years. smile
        I am sorry I missed the video. smile

2. Pandoras Box profile image60
        Pandoras Boxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The bad ones go to puppy hell. I keep telling my dog that.

If it's a shitzu it will be atheist for sure! I tell our shitzu that and he bites me! lol

5. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Definitely mice! smile

6. Hokey profile image62
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

I am 100% sure this thread is pointless. Sorry Jeremy. The voices told me to do it. (to the side)What God? Ok. I am coming....

I always liked that show where Tom Selleck does the voice

2. tantrum profile image60

lol lol lol
      Tha Voice of Reason

3. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This I can agree with. smile

4. Jerami profile image59

If a person is not 100% sure that they are right.
      If there is a 10% chance that we are wrong.. then why do some people want so hard for everyone else to follow them down whatever road that they are on.
          That would be a whole lot of responsibility for a lot of people, if we are 10% correct and 90% wrong.

7. Jerami profile image59

If I am not 100% sure that there is not a rattlesnake in the doll house I would not send My grandaughter in there to look for one.
       If I am not 100% sure that I know the correct direction to the car, when everyone else is lost in the woods; I would not insist that everyone follow me to the car.

When anyone converts someone else to their way of thinking; they should be 100% sure that they are right. Cause if you are wrong??  It is your fault when "They" don't find their way home.

That is all that I want anyone to think about.

1. Cagsil profile image70

And, you base this assumption that people are not 100% correct in what they know.

Poor assumption. hmm

1. Hokey profile image62

Now this I can agree with!  smile

There ya go saying I said something that I didn't say..

If the shoe fits wear it...
            I ask a question.... that is all.
           Then I said "IF" ...

Then you admit to opening this thread for absolutely no F***ing reason.

IF is all you can claim and it's all you ever claim.

Either way, your entire statement is based on an ASSUMPTION!

DUH!

Have a great day!

8. Jerami profile image59

Just goes to show that  "IF"  Ya caint see past your own beliefs you can see little. 
       Can ya imagine ??  ...the things that ..YOU ..by your actions become accountable for?
        And I don't expect or desire this thread to live long...
    I just wanted a couple of people to think about IT.
        You are responsible for those that you influence.

On what planet am I responsible for what actions others take.

Under no circumstances is anyone one individual responsible for the actions of another.

Influence is irrelevant, when it comes to ignorance. If someone is ignorant enough to follow someone else, because they cannot themselves figure out the problem, then they must be willing to accept the consequences of their own ignorance.

The influence others have, STOPS at the rational and sane thought process required to make an informed decision. Should someone go ahead and follow the influence, they themselves are held accountable for their action.

No blame goes anywhere else except upon the individual who made the single uninformed decision.

I would have to disagree.  Yes , when people make a choice that inevitably harms them, they are responsible for their choices

But when any strong minded people (Intelligence unimportant) hunts down and persuades week minded people to follow them; that leader is ultimately responsible for the well being his followers.
           Whether we are talking about Jim Jones, you or myself. We share responsibility for the misfortune of those that we lead.
           And if you do not understand this...
        As you say...      DUH !

1. Pandoras Box profile image60
          Pandoras Boxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You just contradicted yourself.

But in a way I agree with you. I wouldn't call it a responsibility, but perhaps an ethical choice to look out for each other. Maybe that's why we speak up.

If I'm not 100% certain that someone's foolish behavior is going to hurt themselves or someone else, but I think it's highly likely, I feel that I need to speak up.

9. onthewriteside profile image60
    onthewritesideposted 14 years ago

I'm 100% sure that there is no "God"....at least in the "biblical" sense.  I'm also 100% sure that evolution is not 100% accurate, (a few holes need to be filled).  So what does that leave us?

It leaves us with a few holes to be filled.. No problem, it is coming together slowly but surely. We will know a lot more in the next few months from several fronts, maybe filling a few more holes. smile

1. onthewriteside profile image60
        onthewritesideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL earnest...good to see ya again bud!  I here ya, but even science is now wondering if something drastic didn't happen to explain the genetic jump about 250K years ago.  Not that they are (nor am I) suggesting the whole God thing by any means.  Some sort of huge genetic manipulation occurred though that simply can't as of yet be explained by evolution alone.

I agree, and more controversy to come soon over many other mistakes and screw ups. Still a long way ahead of belief in any psychotic fairy though! lol

1. onthewriteside profile image60
            onthewritesideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Damn skippy brother!

lol

We see gaps, they see God. Both are getting smaller by the year.

lol      lol     lol    ..... one for each post! smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)