Best Philosopher

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (108 posts)
  1. marinealways24 profile image59
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

Who do you think is the best philosopher of all time and what makes them the best?

1. Hokey profile image60
      Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

cagsil because he is cagsil

2. alexandriaruthk profile image69
    alexandriaruthkposted 14 years ago

among the Renaissance philosopher I like Irish philosopher george Berkeley

I write a hub about him

He is best known for his motto, esse is percipi, to be is to be perceived. He was in fact an idealist in that he stated that "everything that exists is either a mind or depends for its existence upon a mind." he was also a non-materialist philosopher meaning -- for him matter does not exist.

marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. What do you think is the main importance of philosophy and what do you think enables one philosopher to see something in more depth than the other?

1. alexandriaruthk profile image69
        alexandriaruthkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

they philosophize about the very basic of everything boils down to existence and meaning of life

Do you think the best philsophers are the ones that relate best with nature?

1. alexandriaruthk profile image69
            alexandriaruthkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

maybe the more logic oriented philosopher like Bertrand russell wittgenstein et al and the positivist philosphers not the Renaissance philosphers who are more into the philosophy of the existence of GOD

I think I lean more to siding with the logic oriented ones. I think the ones that speak of God possibly do more harm to philosophy than good in the fact that many place limits on what a person can know or learn based on limits set by a God. I also think the many that talked about God were biased to certain idealogies and were not open minded to those that went against the idea of a God.

3. marinealways24 profile image59

This is it? No mas?

4. Arthur Fontes profile image74
    Arthur Fontesposted 14 years ago

Does George Carlin count?

1. trooper22 profile image61
      trooper22posted 14 years agoin reply to this

George is the Man...R.I.P.

My vote would be for John Locke.  Why?  Because of his LIBERAL ideas; The U.S. is now a country.  His writings were used to create the Declaration of Independence, not to mention his philosophy of "Tabula Rosa", or "blank slate" is what inspired the Deist movement that led to the Enlightenment in addition to modern agnosticism.

People he inspired other than myself:

Ben Franklin, Thomas Paine, Thomas Jefferson, The Adam's, James Madison, and Alexander Hamilton to name just a few.

5. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I like the down-to-earth, folksy types like Mark Twain and Will Rogers.

6. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 14 years ago

Plato

1. Greek One profile image63
      Greek Oneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There is no need to justify Plato being at the top of the list.. he is PLATO

It's like explaining why the Sun is so hot.. it's because it's the SUN

smile

This is not a very logical reason to think he is the best. You could just like him because he was one of the earliest or because he has a cool name. big_smile

Would you be considering if my reply is or isn't logical if it were not for the groudwork laid down by Plato? wink

lol Good point, probably not. But, this doesn't mean he or you are the most logical. big_smile

He's dead now.. so I vote for me as being the most logical

Not that logical. You still haven't given a logical reason that you think he is the best. lol

I think it is a greater accomplishment to lay the foundation of a great building where there was once wilderness, than to add a second story to an existing structure.

lol What does that have to do with you being logical? You think it's better to have others being better at something you defined? I think it's an embarassment.

2. Jewels profile image82
          Jewelsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm with you Greek One.  Plato rocks because his reasoning was sound and he wasn't as corrupted by the modern world as we are now.

He laid a good foundation for every other would be philosopher to play in.  I'd love to have been a student of Plato, that would be awesome.

7. marinealways24 profile image59

Thanks for posting, but you are supposed to give reasons why you like them and think they are the best. lol. Thanks.

8. Ron Montgomery profile image58
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

I would have to say Homer.  His bacon theories are the basis modern breakfastological thinking.

oh come, now.. Homer clearly stole all his ideas from Garfield

1. Ron Montgomery profile image58
        Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

mad

9. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

Cagsil

he is passionate and stands behind ever word he write.

10. marinealways24 profile image59

Greek Oneposted 2 minutes agoin reply to this
    I didnt say "anyone".

Are you denying that Plato is a giant?

Define giant.

11. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 14 years ago

You define giant any way you like.. .
    I think someone who helped lay the foundation of all philosophical thought in the Western world classifies as a giant.

Are you denying Plato's impact?  Are you saying that admiring such a legacy it isn't logical?

That is another opinion. "Everyone" layed the groundwork for philosophical thought. One man does not get credit for teaching everyone how to think. Everyone teaches themselves how to think. He simply put rules and formulation to thinking and gave it terms. I do agree that he is one of the biggest names and founders in adding definitions to philosophy.

1. profile image0
        china manposted 14 years agoin reply to this

May be one of problems with the legacy of Plato - along with his slant on things that western thinking builds on (as you are saying) is the fact that he was a slave owning, boy bonking, time on his hands, rich git.  This does not reduce his status as a thinker, or recorder of other's thinking whichever, but it does bring into question the direction he took us in.

don't get me wrong, i'm not saying he was a nice guy lol

2. marinealways24 profile image59

Great points china. He also seemed to be a dualist. Good and evil are not absolute, any logical mind should have been able to figure this out. Someone that is evil may not always be evil and someone that is good may not always be good meaning they possibly don't exist.  I don't have an understanding of how someone can be a believer of things that can't be defined as absolute.

1. profile image0

maybe not quite accurate, good and evil are subjective and the line is that everything is only subjective.  Meaning is only what it means to you relative to the other, proof and what we think is 'right' or 'wrong' is only consensus, ie what a lot of people agree on.

This means there is no objective truth, as Nietsche wrote, 'god is dead' when he came to this conclusion.

I agree. Like asking who is the best philosopher is subjective and has no absolute answer.

I think I should have rephrased the question to who is the most honest philosopher with the least contradictions?

1. darkside profile image67
                darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Or "Which Philosopher is the most relevant in todays modern world?"

1. profile image0

Derrida

2. marinealways24 profile image59

Thanks Darkside, that is a great question as well.

China, why do you say Derrida being the most relevant in today's world?

12. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

plato and aristotle are the giants. logic, reason and free thought. even thoreau said, there are no more philosophers, only people who philosophize. and he probably is my favorite.

thank you. RebekahELLE !!

(plus, lets not forget he was a handsome Greek man)

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

those writers challenged me to think when I was in college. it was like a whole new world.

greek, I'm surrounded by them. both of my sons have greek girlfriends. soon I will have a very big family of greek in-laws!

yes, they are handsome men, those greeks. wink

hey, I believe it stormryder. they look at life from where they are, no pretense.

13. profile image0
    StormRyderposted 14 years ago

Best Philosopher...It's gotta be that homeless guy at the corner of 15th & Harney

Don't know his real name?? We just call him "Dirty Pete"
    The man is amazing...or insane???

I change my vote to Dirty Pete.. i forgot about him

2. profile image0
      StormRyderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I still say "Dirty Pete"

14. darkside profile image67
    darksideposted 14 years ago

Thales (of Miletus) was the first known Greek philosopher (634 B.C. to 546 B.C.).

For him to have had the ideas he had, at that time would be as mind blowing George Lucas going back in time with all his Lucasfilm lackeys and gear and equipment to 1905 and screening Episode III.

(I picked 1905 because it's 100 years before Episode III was released, which was the first film to be shot entirely on digital cameras and also it was one year before the FIRST full length feature film (albeit silent, which they all were) was made. Sound wouldn't be added to film for about another 20 years.)

DS, I do remember reading your hub about Thales, I did not know about him. you have a great set of hubs about the greek philosophers, maybe some here don't know about. http://hubpages.com/hub/thales-of-miletus

marine, what is absolute?

Maybe everything, maybe nothing, that is also subjective.

I was just asking in reference to your statement about 'not understanding how people can believe in something that is not absoulte.'  we all do. is god absolute? a body? a cloud? a thought?

nice topic, but I must get to work. enjoy the day. smile

I think the idea of god is one of the biggest reasons why there may be no absolutes.

We are the illusion of a design and creation with no logical way or evidence to define a designer or creator in a balance of chaos and nonrandomness. lol

1. profile image0

The idea of God IS impossible because by definition it must be absolute - and there is no such thing.  We have this idea just because we want things to be certain and absolute - we want to have the certainty we had in life when we were held tight on Dad's lap looking at Mum, surrounded by love and security, so we imagine a deity who has the ability to make us feel like this so that everything is ok around us. Growing up is to reject this idea and stand on our own feet and surround ourselves with love and security - be the Dad, overcome the Oedipal idea of a god.  Some people think they surround themselves with love and security by being their god, being religious, others try to make wealth their security and love.

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image73
          Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I still think it is 'everything' and 'nothing' that are absolute.

15. hubby7 profile image64
    hubby7posted 14 years ago

I really don't believe that there is a "best" philosopher of all time. That is like trying to answer the question of who is the best looking woman of all time. However, what I will answer is the question of who is my favorite philosopeher? I would have to answer Socrates. He not only was humble in saying that "I know nothing". He was ethical, logical, mystical, strong, and a downright decent guy. I admire him both for his mind and for his character and for his mysticism.

16. profile image0
    Kathryn LJposted 14 years ago

Socrates, he managed to argue himself into a death penalty and then commited suicide to thwart his enemies, you've got to admire the guy.  Or the dude who lived in a bath, can't remember his name but he came after Socrates.  Mad as a snake but brilliant mind.

17. Obscurely Diverse profile image60
    Obscurely Diverseposted 14 years ago

It may be partially due to personal bias, but to me, it was Bruce Lee.  I've never been impressed more...by anyone else, when it comes to philosophy - as in "way of life."  Although, he was also a pretty bad-ass martial artist, as well.  Haaaaay Yaaaaa!
    LOL!

Get off this one and over to the other one. You have some catching up to do. big_smile

1. Obscurely Diverse profile image60
        Obscurely Diverseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ahh man, I was about to run to the ATM machine for some cash.
        Besides, I don't think that forum invites imagination or creative thoughts anymore; it seems to only consist of book quotes & BS.
        I don't know, I may pop my ass back over there, a little later on, though.
        Thanks for the invite, by the way.  big_smile

lol Yes it does! I just opened all the creative thoughts back up! Hope to see you in there.

Sure, why not...............

18. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Since philosophy is an ideology, it makes it a way of thinking.

I would have to say I agree with many different philosophical thinking, but none are the one basis for our way of life.

All of them encompassed together is the understanding we as human need to understand. Those that do not work or are dismissed by others, should be discredited, as it is and not continued to be maintained.

The best philosopher isn't a philosopher at all. It would be the one person who best understood life, and many of it's wonderful things it offers to one, should they be open to it.

Albert Einstein would be the person to understand. His way of thinking is the most revolutionary style and doesn't support the "GOD" concept others perceive it to be.

Don't ya think the best philosophy is "self-philosophy" through experience? Sure, some people need guidance (trust me, I've seen many) but in the end, it is "self truth" that means the most.

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Self-truth? as you mention is a misconception, when talking about philosophy and it's correlation with all of humanity.

Truth is truth. It's not an individual perception/perspective. Just because you don't know the truth and believe you have truth, you are only fooling yourself.

There are plenty of reasons for people to not understand and one would be the character trait of ignorance.

As for people needing guidance- sure almost everyone needs some sort of guidance, but that guidance is found within and not from external source. The influences of others is one of the huge problems of humanity, as it stands today.

Everyone sees everyone or at least a huge majority of them abusing, harming and manipulating, the uneducated or uninformed, into doing whatever the hell they want and getting away with it.

It's completely out of control and needs a new way of thinking.

Individuals vary from one to the next.  Philosophy is a "way of life" to an individual or to groups; but, it is not definite and is damn sure not universal.  Self-truth is about all you can hope for, as nobody lives within you but you...that is, unless you get into the ones who are into all that religious crap.

Are you dense? Nothing like pointing out the obvious.

Philosophy is based on an ideology, reinforced by imagination/knowledge/experience, all wrapped into one. A philosophy can be used as a "way of life"...but in the end of the day, it's a way of thinking. And, since it's a way of thinking, it can be universal for all of humanity.

I'm not into the religious crap/garbage. Self-truth I said doesn't exist, it's a misconception thought process.

Truth is truth. It consists/exists, regardless of whether or not you believe it. It is contained in all the things we've either created/discovered and learned.

If you're having a problem seeking the truth about something, then how you know when you find it? You know, when it is commonly understood as fact/truth.

Dense?  Are you?

It is preposterous to think philosophy can be universal.
              Even laws of Physics are limited to certain aspects; hence forth the idea that they should be called Earth Physics.
              When you mention truth as absolute, it reminds me of how the bogus religions claim a "universal truth"...Ha-ha!
              Change of terms:  "Self-Philosophy" is the best anyone can hope for, everything else is dependent on other quacks.

2. profile image0

Not really - truth is subjective not universal. What you describe is subjective to whoever creates/discovers/learns

Thanks for clearing that up for him, China man.  smile

2. Cagsil profile image71

You're doing your best to understand it. That I can see, but don't worry your limited/skewed view, stop you from getting informed.

It's obvious, you've never been able to understand or even grasp the original concept to begin with. Which, I am sure you don't even know the original concept, which I am talking about.

Truth is not the original concept I am talking about, just in case, your limited/skewed view thought so.

And, if I decide to tell you what it is that your missing or not understanding, then it would most likely dismissed as nonsense. Then again, what else be new. Ignorance is bliss to most and a real comfort.

All of this "skewed" talk sounds like a twisted pretzle of ignorance.
                  I hope China Man replies back to this hogwash of yours...  Just a thought.  smile

2. profile image0

Thank you for your condescension, but attacking me for no apparent reason does not make your case. You are an amateur philosopher making amateur mistakes and I try to keep out of it normally - but when you make a clear mistake it is useful to you to have it pointed up - this is called discussion.  If you don't agree you only have to say so, or tell me why.

2. profile image0

This is called communication and in that you are correct that mis-communication is a problem. External sources are the society around you and not listening to the people around you is a mental illness. 

When everyone else appears to be mad, then it is time to look at yourself. This quote could have been anyone from Freud to Woody Allen.

Hell, I thought the damn quote was from "China Man."  Ha-ha!  Good one, though...  smile

19. Cagsil profile image71

So you call everyone a quack, since they disagree with you. roll

How nice of you. hmm

Not at all, but they are out there...

Just those who you selectively choose, by using your subjective view. roll

So much for non-bias understanding. How nice of you. roll

Nope; some people can't even wipe their own ass properly.  What?  Am I going to psycho-analyze retards now?

Yes, there are plenty of people who are completely ignorant in more aspects of life than others.
            Just your pathetic use of the word "retards" goes to show you know nothing. And, I'll leave it at that. roll

I was trying to meet you at your lower level of intellect so you'd understand.  'Retard' means - to delay the progress of.  Ain't that what the hell is going on here?  Is your term 'ignorant' that much better?  Ha-ha-ha!

20. Cagsil profile image71

Apparently even the word "philosophy" seems to escape your limited/skewed view.

Thank you for your input, but much like the religious zealots you complain about, your own ignorance is astounding, to say the least of it.

I did write a Hub on Ignorance, should care to read it. It might help you figure out what you're doing wrong.

Just a thought. smile

I take those words as a defensive compliment, nothing more.
      I'm far from ignorant.
      Anyone who is semi-aware, would know you are displaying limited views of perspective, not me.
      I often disrespect and insult, but out of my own personal entertainment upon the learning levels of existence.
      You have no idea what I know or what I've studied or what I'm aware of.
      Your own assumption of me can make your prior opinions dive into the abyss of ignorance, but not me.
      Unlike you, I don't underestimate the powers of the universe.

I can see why.
        If you were, then we would not be having a problem to communicate.
        Limited? Limited is your vision and the vision of many who are watching this conversation take place and some will most likely jump in to say something sooner or later. However, you use more of your subjective view in your statements and everything else you do, without viewing something objectively. Thus, you error. Hence, creates your ignorance or refusal to be open minded.
        Well then I guess you have a lot more to learn, just like so many others.
        Again, you demonstrate your inability to understand. It is necessary for me to understand what you've studied or what you think you know.
        I don't underestimate the powers of the universe, and for you to make such a ridiculous statement, just goes to show, what I've been saying.

As for me jumping to an assumption about you. I didn't jump to any assumption, I simply used your own words against you and you unknowingly help me prove a point, that you haven't a clue.

But, thank you for your time. smile

1. profile image0

This I would say is the heart of the difference.  If one believes that everything is subjective - then there is no objective of any kind. 

Objectivity is a prerequisite of god, and if you think there is a god then you think objectivity is possible - I and some others who you are arguing with think there is no such thing as objectivity and so there is no god.

2. Obscurely Diverse profile image60

Your own assumption brought you this far.
          I HOPE others see this.
          We've already had one person "jump in" and he was on my side.
          Let the others come...
          I've always claimed open-mindedness.  I'll use your words against you:  Your twisted as in 'skewed'...Ha-ha!  You're funny...

21. Sab Oh profile image55
    Sab Ohposted 14 years ago

Wow. This kind of 'argument' makes everyone involved look bad.

Thanks for joining in!  Ha-ha!

1. Sab Oh profile image55
        Sab Ohposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I already look bad, so nothing to worry about

2. profile image0

what about this argument makes people look bad - the only bad  is your inane pointless comment - again

Dime store philosophers trying to one-up each other is like a chorus made up of people who can't sing but who ape all the moves and affectations of people who can.

I'm at least a "dollar store" philosopher, so that is currently better than my "dime store" opposition.  What do you think?

Does that leave 90 cents in change? (or was it hope?)

88 cents of ignorance and 2 cents of hope?  Ha-ha!

2. profile image0

You have no idea of my qualifications or the quality of my philosophy and clearly no understanding of the subject yourself - I can't speak for anyone else here but I respect their points of view as we all struggle to find some meaning - like everyone from the first monkey that had a thought from Plato through to Kant, Einstein, the likes of Derrida and the Dalai Lhama. Then back to monkeys who avoid any meaning and so just make noises about others.

"clearly no understanding of the subject yourself "

There you go again...

1. profile image0

if you don't like it then show some understanding instead of empty snide remarks.  I am more than pleased to discuss with you but you don't 'discuss'.

22. profile image0
    Lecieposted 14 years ago

dean ray koontz because he always adds humor to everything he thinks about. very cool what he says about how to greet an alien(from space) properly. he just knows how to take such serious questions and make the most hillarious solutions.

23. Jewels profile image82
    Jewelsposted 14 years ago

I'm starting to like myself as a philosopher.  Why?  Because I make allot of sense to me lol

1. profile image0

Ah - but that is subjective isn't it big_smile

Although I have to say that you definately make sense to yourself some of the time.

LOL!

1. Jewels profile image82
          Jewelsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)