Prosperity Preachers

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (62 posts)
  1. Mamelody profile image59
    Mamelodyposted 14 years ago

There's been a recent criticism of preachers who seem to be multi billionaires and yet they still solicit money from people. Preachers like Benny Hinn, Creflo Dollar, TD Jakes, TBN network etc are now commonly known as "Prosperity preachers preaching prosperity gospel"

Now I've read the Bible and according to it Jesus instructed the 12 disciples to "go into all the world and preach the gospel"

Now now where in that sentence does it say "go into all the world and solicit every penny people have so you can enjoy the high life"

Now in the beginning I was used to be a devoted follower of these preachers. But every time I gave my money, I found myself in deeper debt to the point where I couldn't afford simple bills like water and electricity. I mean I gave out of guilt because they kind of made me feel that if I didn't "tithe" I would be broke forever and would never enter heaven.

When I decided to stop sponsoring their so called "ministries" I found my life was back on track. I mean I still got bills to pay but I can at least cope and enjoy a holiday or two.

Now according to the letter Paul wrote to Timothy, he states that in the last days men will be "lovers of money rather than lovers of God" and "fierce haters of good" (NIV version)

Now when I look at all these prosperity preachers, they are getting richer everyday and their congregation don't seem to be enjoying the prosperity they preach about.

So I ask are prosperity preachers the "false prophets" that the bible warns us about??

1. h.a.borcich profile image61
      h.a.borcichposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I do know of some in the ministry who do not get csught up in the money of it. James Dobson from Focus on the Family has a modest wage then has the money from his books,etc going to charity. All Rich Mullens, a christian musician, also had modest wages and the rest given to charity.
      The prosperity preachers motive should be questioned. The scriptures they preach apply to them also. Holly

2. profile image54
      (Q)posted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, you are the suckers Barnum told us about, who are born every minute.

1. Mamelody profile image59
        Mamelodyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol

3. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's hard to say exactly.
      I do know that many of them have become "showmen" (celebrities, kinda) instead of humble preachers of the Gospel.

4. goldenpath profile image68
      goldenpathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

In Micah 3:11-12 it states the immense danger to not only preachers for hire, and reward, but also the cursings they bring upon their followers.  This is one of the reasons why, as a minister, I have a separate full time job.  Our entire ministry is without compensation.  I agree with everything you've said.  If one is called to the ministry it is a "calling" and not a job.  Where the uplifting of souls is concerned no payment should ever be demanded or even expected.  By so doing you only curse yourself and those whom you lead to the same destruction.

As a side note I would exhort all to stay clear of any and all television evangelists.  The root reason for doing so is for personal gain.  Prayer is a solemn and personal experience and should never be flowered up to exuberance as openly displayed on the tube.  Obvious red flag.  Confessions and pleas from the trouble hearted are also a solemn and confidential occasion and should never be exposed on television.  Another red flag.  The Adversary can also manifest itself through "healings" of others in order to deceive.  Does anyone truly think that a televised "healing" is truly of God?  Absolutely not.  God will not be mocked in such a way.

All the things that these television entertainers flower up on the tube are exaggerated representations of deeply personal, confidential and spiritual things that take place in people's lives.  They should never, under any circumstances, be shown or viewed on television.  Make no mistake these are all red flags and are massively damaging to the spirit of those who blindly follow.

1. earnestshub profile image81
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Try telling these nutters that fall on the floor it is all bunk. They are just as adamant about their experience as any religionists.
        I don't know how all the god botherers don't see that this is just an extension of the lunatic beliefs in the bible or quoran!
        These guys quotes are straight from the "good" book itself. smile

2. profile image54

I see little difference between you and them, goldenpath. The same red flags you see in them are similar to the ones we see in you. The phrases "massively damaging and blindly follow" are quite relevant as well.

You just described yourself. Well done.

5. profile image0
      Hxprofposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yep-they serve their own appetites.  Peter and Paul warned us that teachers would come that would use us for gain-monetary gain, and would lead others to follow the licentuousness.

Sound doctrine is hardly taught beyond the basics in most churches/ministries.  There are ministries teaching sound doctrine, but they are few right now.

6. Tom Cornett profile image80
      Tom Cornettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Money is the name of their little god.
      A cursed blessing is far worse than no blessing.

7. profile image0
      SirDentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What you hear about is what makes the news. You hardly ever hear about those who do good things. There is no drama in their stories.

Anyone who preaches prosperity preaches against the Word of God. They do it for money, fame, and notoriety. They want to be seen and heard. Jesus healed the sick and told many, "Do not tell anyone." This is what the mindset of followers of God should be. Do not notice me, but just notice the One I follow.

1. profile image0
        mdawson17posted 14 years agoin reply to this

SirDent I honor your words of boldness and truly understand your Standings on prosperity preaching

2. profile image54

Yet, you tell everyone of Jesus and worship him. Seems hypocritical.

1. profile image0

It would be hypoctitical if I asked for donations constantly or I solicited money in some way from others. One thing I never do.

1. profile image54

Doesn't your church ask for donations?

1. profile image0

They allow people to make offerings.

1. profile image54

Yes, how silly of me. roll

1. profile image0

You want to make something into something it is not. To allow people to offer what they want is different than soliciting donations. Any child of third grade education can see that.

Beggars on the street ask for alms, but those who don't ask and are given to anyway recieved offerings. How ignorant can a person be to not see the difference.

By the way just so you know, we have given food out many times, we have given away clothing to the needy. How about your starving children? Have you fed them yet?

1. profile image54

So, passing around the plate is not soliciting donations?

Atheists everywhere are working hard on attempting to feed the millions of starving children everywhere since your god is spending so much time attending to your personal needs and the needs of other good Christians.

Maybe, your god should have thought through his statement before handing it out:

"Go forth and multiply."

2. Faybe Bay profile image63
    Faybe Bayposted 14 years ago

My brother belongs to a very prosperous church. It does not prosper by asking people who cannot give to give. His church has prospered by giving to the members as to their need.
    They used to say, at collection time, "If you are in a position to give, then give out of your increase, but If you have a need please put that in the plate instead." There were notes in every seat. They would further state "If your need is small, just gas or dinner money, then take from the plate as it passes you by according to your need."

People gave and took and put their notes in and the church just kept getting bigger. Now they have centers for teenage mothers and youth center... Too much to go on about. You may not see them on TV, and if you see them on line I am sure you will be able to tell. It is a hands on church. They know each other's needs and make sure to help each other each according to his ability to give, or his need.

1. Dame Scribe profile image56
      Dame Scribeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wow smile now that's something that should be more widely known. A place of give and take.

2. earnestshub profile image81

That is a good system, and makes sense, I wish more people would do this sort of thing. smile

1. Ohma profile image60
        Ohmaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ditto If I could find a church like this one They might even persuade me to join. LOL  smile

Me too! As long as they don't have any prerequisites about a god.

3. Faybe Bay profile image63
      Faybe Bayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry I lost the thread. The link to my brother's church and it's on line feed for Sunday service is on the hub I did about my brother the musician. I believe they have three churches now, to look at the web site.

3. aka-dj profile image65
    aka-djposted 14 years ago

I wonder what motivates the givers in their giving, when they give to these "Ministries"?
    It wouldn't be the deisre (or greed) of becoming wealthy by doing so themselves,....would it? :?  big_smile

1. profile image0
      Twenty One Daysposted 14 years agoin reply to this

good salesman can sell snow to an eskimo.

4. Lady_E profile image60
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

Interesting Post

Some are genuine and need partners to pay for the broadcasts which are aired. That costs losts of money. (Milllions)

Some, sadly however are not genuine. 

Secondly, not all of them are prosperity preachers. Creflo is very rounded and emphasises a lot on living a pure life. Benny Hinn's ministry focuses on Healing.

The good thing is you are not forced to give them money.
    Its a choice.

1. Disappearinghead profile image59
      Disappearingheadposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Benny Hinn has demonstrated that he is a false prophet, saying God has said when God has not said. Creflo Dollar is just a prostitute to the God of hard cash.

5. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 14 years ago

How high would his insurance be? Some of those people are gettin on a bit! lol

6. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 14 years ago

Mamelody,

Here is how you will know:

a. are all members of the congregation prospering in the understanding of the Creator.
    b. is the organization using he funds 100% for the members of the congregation then for the community then for the world.
    c. do all believers actually share all things (possessions) in common
    d. are the people prospering -actually, not mystic(the hype aka oooh ahhh) or literary (quoting scripture)- in the Word.

watch closely and guard your heart.
    when the fruit comes, you will know without a doubt.

7. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

The Holy Spirit rewards us for our gifts. I always liked the feeling of anonimously giving it made me feel good and there's nothing wrong with feeling good!smile

8. qwark profile image60
    qwarkposted 14 years ago

Mame:
    it's been a long time since seminary and, thankfully, I can no long quote scripture off-hand, but I seem to remember it says in there somewhere (paraphrase) ..that it would be harder for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven than for a camel to pass thru the eye of a needle...or sumthin' like that...:-) Did I get it pretty close?   :-)

9. profile image0
    Poppa Bluesposted 14 years ago

I've never cared for those ministers. I knew one personally that had his own church. Now he's a good man but he made a damn good living as a minister which to me seems a little hypocritical. All his kids and grand kids went to study tennis in the Bradenton tennis camp in Florida... his family worked in the ministry as well video taping the show and of course weddings and other events. For me something gets lost in the message when you realize it's just a business and these people are doing really, really well!

1. goldenpath profile image68

You hit it on the head!  I couldn't have said it better.  That's the danger in it.  When you mix compensation with faith you will inevitably wind up with corruption.  As a minister, I am satisfied holding down a separate full time job to receive compensation for.  I could never take a penny for trying to help someone else in a spiritual way.

1. profile image54

Money has to come from somewhere, it doesn't grow on trees. As a minister, you will accept donations to keep your church going, yes? How is that different from the tv versions?

Finally, thank you for a sincere question without the hammer tones.  The difference is that I don't preach for money.  The tithes and donations offered are not to support me or any broadcast.

1. profile image54

But, you get donations just like the tv guys. It does support you. If it didn't you wouldn't have anywhere to preach.

What's the difference between broadcasting in-house to the flock or broadcasting over the airways to a much bigger congregation? Some people are shut-ins and cannot venture to churches, hence they can watch it from the comfort of their home.

The difference is in what's done with the donations.  In the LDS Church every penny is accounted for for every person who tithes and donated.  They meet with the Bishop every year and get their final accounting of what they offered and exactly where those offerings went.

Tithes go to support the Church in building temples, meetinghouses, Church grounds and programs.  Fast Offerings are strictly for the support and aid of the sick and afflicted and those who absolutely need financial help in tough circumstances.

They have options for several other donations as well.  The key, though, is that every penny is accounted for and the members know where their pennies are going.  Absolutely none of it goes to support any of the ministers.

1. profile image54

It all goes to support the ministers, you said it yourself, "Tithes go to support the Church in building temples, meetinghouses, Church grounds and programs"

I'm sure those tv guys have great accountants, too. wink

Show me, EXACTLY, where I've said it supports the ministers.  I've specifically said it supports temples, buildings, grounds, programs and maintenance of the Church - NOT the ministry itself.  Never have I even implied this.

2. profile image0
                  Onusonusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

(Q),
                  Noone in the LDS ministry gets paid, My Bishop is a full time Welder at the local shipyard some of his his counsilers work there, our gosple doctrine teacher is an engineer, etc., we do all the church stuff for free.

1. profile image54

No, you don't do it free, you take in donations that keeps your religious machine functioning.

10. profile image0
    poetlorraineposted 14 years ago

we all have a gut feeling about things like this...... it is obvious that some are ripping us off.  I thought this was a very good question for debate.

11. Disappearinghead profile image59
    Disappearingheadposted 14 years ago

In answer to the question, I would say yes, these prosperity teachers are amongst the false prophets. Their teaching, though having some small connection with scripture is wholly inflated to enable them to raise a lot of money for their ministries. Their teachning is more sop to the American dream rather than serving God.

Whilst the apostle Paul made it clear that those in full time ministry are entiltled to make a living from the ministry, these preachers are just peddlars of the gospel with their huge conferences, sales of books and DVDs etc. They see themselves as CEOs of large cooproations so justify huge salaries for themselves.

They stand up their with their $5000 suits, botox grins, sunbed orange faces, robbing the widows and orphans with eire lies and half truths, perverting the gospel to a money making scheme. Where does all the money go?

Meanwhile mugs are doling out the cash to them week by week in fear that God will curse them if they don't tithe. Hoping against hope that one day their divine lottery numbers will come up and they finally get a share in the prosperity.

I'll get off my soapbox now as I need to go to work.

12. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

Charity comes with a catch of conversion, delusion and belief defense(by taking more people in group).

13. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I'll bet they are few, what constitutes "good doctrine" bigger threats? smile

14. profile image0
    mdawson17posted 14 years ago

WOW what a great topic for a true concerning subject and epidemic! Pastor Haggai with Corner Stone church had asked many of his congregation to sell their homes and their cars because God had lead him they should in a vision! Saying this he lives in a multi-million dollar home and drives a BMW and has five body guards./

However the ones that sold their homes and have nothing has asked the church for help and they are told no!

I guess I would have to say this is a preacher lining his own pockets with Gold.

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Did Hagee do that?
      I stopped watching him when he started going off-kilter a few years ago....

1. profile image0

I stopped watching him when I kept hearing him say, "Buy the Book!" Not talking of the Bible but a book he wrote hismelf.

2. Mamelody profile image59
      Mamelodyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

OMG he did that?? Thats soo lame... worse off are people who fall for that...

15. earnestshub profile image81

Can we watch the video onusonus put up one more time?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lvU-DislkI

Ah! That's better! smile

16. earnestshub profile image81

They all go the same way, just a matter of time before those hyped egos fall flat.
    These are the megalomanic loons that religion creates.
    "I have god, you don't" See how much power I have?

I think this guy is one of the best examples of how gullible religionists can be. smile

1. Disappearinghead profile image59
      Disappearingheadposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You're preaching to the converted on these forums earnesthub.

Maybe on this one. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)