Who can suggest a good hosting site

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (19 posts)
  1. funnebone profile image71
    funneboneposted 15 years ago

Can anyone recommend a good hosting service that includes software to build the site?

2. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

I use bluehost for three years, and so far no problem. As for the software - you should be more specific smile

3. funnebone profile image71

I don't know how to create a webpage, I need help.

4. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 15 years ago

I suggest you get a good program like Dreamweaver to help you build sites.

5. funnebone profile image71

is that free because i have spent all of my money on Mccain/palin bumper stickers

6. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Nope, you'll have to sell your bones to afford it. Unless you use a pirate copy of course big_smile

If I were you, I would use Wordpress. In fact I am using it, too - because I am lazy and don't want to do much HTML.

You still have to learn the basics of HTML, otherwise your sites will be a mess, even if you are to use Dreamweaver and such.

Most of the hosts have a feature called "fantastico", which will install wordpress (and some other things if you want) for you in a couple of minutes. Also, most of them have some kind of "site builder"  - dreamweaver-like piece of dog c**p that supposedly helps you to build sites, but in reality creates unmanageable mess. Bluehost has both features, too smile

7. funnebone profile image71

Thank you sir, you again answered my question while invoking an image of feces. You are a master!

8. Lissie profile image76
    Lissieposted 15 years ago

Misha is write wordpress is fantastic and free! Dreamweaver is a nice program for devleoping html but its not free and has quite a learning curve
    Another option is to go with a free blog such as blogger or wordpress.com - its really about what your purpose of your website is

9. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

You are always welcome smile

Oh, and one more good thing about wordpress - there is an enormous amount of training and reference materials on the Web, including hubpages. You always can find an answer to any question within minutes, just google it smile

10. kerryg profile image84
    kerrygposted 15 years ago

I use DreamHost and have been happy with them, though they are a little more expensive than some.

I actually learned the basics of HTML and CSS from LissaExplains.com, a site written for children. Basic basic, and a few sections are out-of-date, but easy to understand. Another useful resource for beginners is W3 Schools. I pretend to know PHP with the aid of a very simple script from CodeGrrl: http://codegrrl.com/scripts/nl-converttophp

I agree with Misha that many hosts (including DreamHost) have one click installs of content management programs like WordPress, and it's relatively easy for someone with a little more experience with PHP and MYSQL to hack those into an attractive, easy-to-manage site. For beginners, I'm sure there are tutorials that can help. Drupal and Joomla are two more: they have have steeper learning curves but are intended for site creation rather than blog creation, like WordPress.

11. funnebone profile image71

Thank you guys. I have a blog now but I need to open my long awaited website. I used registar.com but it really sucks so I am shopping around. One day I hope to be as insightful, giving and pretty as you three.

12. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

You can do sites on Wordpress as easy as blogs - here is an example - http://www.speedingticketsbeater.com/

13. Lissie profile image76
    Lissieposted 15 years ago

a website and a blog are not necessarily different - I used wordlpress to set up my online freelance profile http://elisabethsowerbutts.com/ (its not pretty or complete - just an example of a blog that doesn't look like a blog) -   this is someone elses' much better profile - http://monikamundell.com/ sie - again done using Wordpress (revolution theme I think) I know you probably aren't do a profile site but this is just an example of using wordpress as the CMS to  create static websites

14. Inspirepub profile image71
    Inspirepubposted 15 years ago

You can create "Pages" in Wordpress, which are just regular web pages. You can set a page to show as the index (home) page, rather than the default index page, which is the blog home page with the last five posts on it.

Jenny

15. Marisa Wright profile image84
    Marisa Wrightposted 15 years ago

My website is also based on Wordpress.  It's at http://bellydanceoz.com

The front page is an example of the static page that Jenny refers to.  The belly dance shop is built using pages, too.  I've used posts to create the profiles of the dancers.

I built the first version of the site in a day, having never used Wordpress before and knowing nothing about HTML. The trick is to Google for a theme that gives the look and features that you want, then build on that.  I recommend it!

16. Eric Graudins profile image60
    Eric Graudinsposted 15 years ago

Yes, Wordpress is the platform I recommend to pretty well everyone these days.

You have virtually unlimited options with thousands of free and paid templates.

There are also loads of addons available which do all sorts of magical things.
    And Google indexes wordpress blogs VERY rapidly.

Funnebone - I've got rights to a wordpress tutorial somewhere. If I can find it, I'll send it to you.

Regards,
    Eric G.

17. Trekkiemelissa profile image66
    Trekkiemelissaposted 15 years ago

Wordpress is totally multipurpose.  You can use is as a cms or you can use it as a blog even both.  I use it on both of my websites which is located in my profile.  What is so great about it is that its totally customizable at least to me it is.

18. broalexdotinfo profile image56
    broalexdotinfoposted 15 years ago

I have 3 E-commerce sites on wordpress using the E-commerce Theme from bluespark. They are really easy to manage and with some HTML and css skills anyone can do a little changes in the layout. As for a hosting company I have experience HostGator before and they are nowhere near 1and1.com that I am subscribed at now. My site was crashing every week with as low as 20.000 visitors/ day. I am happy with 1and1.com and I recommend it.

For a nice layout and a great looking design and easy navigational site, you will need a programmer and one designer, you can not do it alone, unless you spend at least 6 months learning the basics. Use Wordpress as Misha mentioned above, it`s stable, lots of features included, free of charge (free templates) and a huge forum where you can get help with any issues you may have. I am not recommending any other platforms if you are just starting off. The hosting services do include "Build Your Own Site" Feature but they more or less useless, it`s a freebie, most of the time these freebies are useless more or less, but you can give it a try if you want.

Hosting - depends on lots of factors - Niche - Number of visitors - Your Programming languages of your script - Location (this is for customer support is not always online on most of the hosting sites).

But if you have the money, everything will be ok. smile

Alex

19. Project Mobius profile image59
    Project Mobiusposted 15 years ago

I have been using 1and1 for more than 2 years, no problem so far. I heard godaddy isn't a bad hosting choice either.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)