When do you say enough is enough?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (26 posts)
  1. Sunshiney31 profile image67
    Sunshiney31posted 14 years ago

At what point is it ok to say screw you to your blood family..when is it ok to say enough is enough..Is family worth it? Are they worth it when they seem more enemy than ali?

1. Ohma profile image60
      Ohmaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

For me there is no point. You only get one shot at getting this right. You should find a way to work out the problems.

2. profile image0
    pinkyleeposted 14 years ago

no matter what family puts you through they are family and if you say screw you then you are left all alone in a world that sometimes family is the only saving grace! i have had my moments with my family and still do with my dad's side of it but in the end they are still family and the reason i am here today!

3. profile image0
    Lecieposted 14 years ago

i had to start taking depression medicine. i sat down and thought about why.
    i realized that it had nothing to do with me but the endless situations the family i was living with was putting me through. the next day i answered an ad about an apartment. now here i am away from my family. i feel great. don't get me wrong i still go help me family sometimes. but at least now it's my choice. should they do something again i have the option of staying home with the phone off the hook. moving out was the best thing i could have done.

4. thooghun profile image95
    thooghunposted 14 years ago

I grant my family unconditional love because they have earned it. But I still believe love and respect have to be earned. Being conceived is not a valid reason to love a family member as far as I'm concern -- simply because I was never consulted wink

When someone has been there your entire life, unconditionally, through thick and thin. There is nothing I would not do in return. But this is not a question of blood or genetics, it is a question of love and respect.

Sunshiney31posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Exactly it's a matter of love and respect..after my Mom died my step dad and mother in law married 3 months after she died..and have treated myself and my husband and my children as if we did something wrong.....They stole the love i had for them away by their actions..and what's so sad is this is my husbands Mom..  I have always given myself unconditionally to all my family..Family is an awsome powerful thing and I'm just trying to help my husband through this slap in the face..I have long since let them all go....It's a sad situation and impossible it seems to me. lIKE WHAT THEY HELL WERE THEY THINKING MARRING EACHOTHER RIGHT AFTER MY MOM DIED OF BREAST CANCER...like she didn't even matter..ok so I have some issues.....

1. profile image0
        cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hey, it's ok to have issues. blood relatives aren't all they are cracked up to be. my older sister shunned me when i got pregnant. just like that. i asked my older brother, who was close to her, why she was avoiding me all of a sudden...refusing to take my calls or talk to me...he said because she was jealous that i was pregnant.

she could have had a child if she wanted to, but i guess it was easier to hate me instead.

i asked him is that really what she is upset about? and he said yes.

incredible.

she hasn't spoken to me since, and my son is now in college!

she missed all those years, knowing this wonderful amazing person who is my son all because of some sick jealousy. i cried a lot over it and then one day i decided it just wasn't worth it anymore.

not only that, she turned my other family members against me for years, and only recently have i reconnected with some of them. they all know i have done nothing but no one said "i'm sorry".

it's a pretty sad situation that i wouldn't wish on anyone, although SHE is the angry, bitter one, not me. i was feeling better, actually, when i didn't have to be reminded of her and what she did to me.

so, yes, Sunshiney, when the association makes you feel awful, it is definitely NOT worth it. take it from someone who knows. i got where i am in life because of me and no one else. i didn't need them, and i am proud of that.

2. KeithTax profile image73
        KeithTaxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You choose your friends. Unfortunately, your family is choosen for you. Sadly, the ones that knowest best know how to hurt us worst. More sad, when they use that ability.

2. Cagsil profile image72
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

First you say this, then.....you back it up with....But I still believe love and respect have to be earned.

Being conceived is not a valid reason to love a family member as far as I'm concern -- simply because I was never consulted

I'm sure your family loves you? roll

You don't even seem to have a grip on the "love" thing. I mean seriously.

Family doesn't love a newborn child? Instantly! How is that not possible for a member of the family? Unless, the child wasn't wanted to begin with. hmm

As for the respect- yes it is earned. Love isn't earned.

5. Bill Manning profile image69
    Bill Manningposted 14 years ago

I treat everyone as they treat me. We are all related in some way, so we all are family. Treat me well and I'll do the same back. Crap on me and your history, family or not.

6. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

I love my family, but I really like my own space of living alone.  Moving out was the best thing you could do Lecie, at a certain point everyone needs their independence.

7. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

Family is complicated.

As for my own family, all I have left is a sister (besides my children).  I don't know aunts, uncles, cousins.  I disowned her for serious reasons, but...if she were to come to me for help I would probably give her temporary help (it all depends on what help she would need) and then send her packing again.  I am better off without her in my life.

I am actually closer to my ex family, even though I would rather not have anything to do with them.  They are manipulative, deceitful, drug-addicted (<--some, not all) criminal thinkers.  But, they are willing to assist me if/when I need it - as long as it isn't a legal issue involving them!  We have been through some rough patches but they are always willing to "give a second chance".

8. J.J. Beach profile image61
    J.J. Beachposted 14 years ago

I said enough was enough a long time ago.  I respect my family.  A wise man once told me to let go of toxic people in my life, I knew who there were instantly and I did let go.  I did not cut them out but I let them go.

1. Rafini profile image82
      Rafiniposted 14 years agoin reply to this

good choice.  smile

but I do not understand the difference.  Does this mean you still involve yourself with them, to some extent, but you don't get trapped by their feelings/behaviors?

1. J.J. Beach profile image61
        J.J. Beachposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I stay as far away from them as possible, well actually one in particular.  Unless I feel trapped into a corner, I stay away from family functions if that person is going to be there.

understood. smile  sad it has to be that way, though.

9. Sunshiney31 profile image67
    Sunshiney31posted 14 years ago

Sad isn't it???

10. Lynda Gary profile image60
    Lynda Garyposted 14 years ago

I'm on the bandwagon with: "If it's toxic, get rid of it."  That includes relationships with blood relatives.

Sad, absolutely.  But not as sad as subjecting oneself to a lifetime of misery.  It IS a choice.

However, having said all this, I'm also in favor of doing everything you can to try to rememdy the situation first.  It's just that, in some instances, the only remedy is to abandon the relationship.

yup.

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Mhmm.

believe me, i did everything in my power to fix it, even though i did nothing wrong, and finally i said 'you know what, this just isn't worth all this anguish' and let it go. i always think there is something deeper and unexpressed behind people's behavior towards you than what they say is the problem. anyway, i have no room in my life for toxic people anymore.

11. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I think what may make the difference is whether they love you and mean well, or don't really love you and probably don't mean well either.  Family members can mess up in a big way, and a lot of the times they have no idea they're doing it.  Sometimes it takes talking and trying to work on it.  Sometimes overlooking and a certain amount of "building-a-partial-wall" on some things is required.  I think most of the time it's worth trying to keep some version of a relationship (even if it has to be limited).

If family members are just out-and-out horrible and/or abusive, though - then they've "earned it" when their victims write them off forever.

12. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 14 years ago

When enough is too much to eat!

13. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

dude, i just realized you have FOUR-HUNDRED AND FORTY-FOUR HUBS! that is astounding yikes

(we now resume our regular programming)

1. waynet profile image68
      waynetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know, I'm going to up my hubbing even more and try to aim for a total of 1000 hubs published by the end of this year....

14. profile image0
    wordscribe41posted 14 years ago

There's no "one size fits all" solution here.  Families, their dynamics and members are complex and multi-faceted.  No two situations are alike.  There are circumstances when I believe it's warranted to take a breather, or if necessary make a decision to stop communication.  Granted, it should never be taken lightly and avoided if at all possible. We're talking counseling, mediation, whatever it takes.

Sunshiney31posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Very true and insightful...thank you for all the comments

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)