I have had a call telling me that I am a winner!

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (36 posts)
  1. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 14 years ago

I have just had a telephone call from India.  I was told that I have been fortunate enough to be entered into a draw to win an ipod. 

I was also told that as a result I have 'a golden opportunity' to participate in euro lottery to win millions of pounds!  Wow - can you believe it?  He asked me how would I like to win money?

I told him that it wouldnt be a good thing.  In being given money it would mean responsibility and 'work' ... I would have the hasstle of having to make the money work for me and that I would have no option but to use it to help others  (because that is a belief I have - use money as a tool to help others) - homelessness shelters etc - this would mean more work and no time for me.  Even if I was to use it for self indulgence, I would start living in a world of illusion and others being ungenuine because they wouldnt like me for me but for my money!  I said that I didnt want the karma! hehehe

The sales pitch soon came to a close after that big_smile

1. Ultimate Hubber profile image71
      Ultimate Hubberposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lollollol

2. emievil profile image68
      emievilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol cool answer Shaz

1. profile image0
        shazwellynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I always wait for those calls... You get a delay as the automated calling is set into action.  They keep you waiting so as they can try and sell you something that you dont want, dont need and wouldnt even give it a second thought if you saw it on the table of a car boot table top sale (like a garage sale).  They always start with good news - you have won such and such. 

They drive the emotion up - I always say 'yes' in a drone... yes.. yes... thats good... err... yes... yes....  wait and then try and think of something to throw them.  Something like 'Do you know God loves you'... that is always a good one to throw them ... then I give em the old religious speel (sure winner to turn em off!).  It doesnt matter to me if they think Im a nutter! 

Maybe we should start a new wave of 'heavy breathers'  .. wait for a call with the usual delay and then start giving them a bit of 'Darth Vader' heavy breathing!  That would be fun for uninvited telephone calls! hehehe:D

3. skyfire profile image81
      skyfireposted 14 years agoin reply to this

big_smile LOL.

1. profile image0

Or you could even be an invited heavy breather Sky?  Oh, sorry, you are an officer and a gentleman! lol x

1. skyfire profile image81

Vodafone salesgirl forced me to buy ringtone once, i changed the topic and it costs her more than the cost of ringtone.. big_smile

Bwahahhahaha .... I are evil too...

1. profile image0

Did you whisper sweet SEO's to her or was it a full on nine inch nails? lol

wink

1. profile image0

ah nice...

1. profile image0

well... saw this and thought of you! *wink*

2. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

Congrats! And soon your mini-sheep will be delivered as well. big_smile

1. Faybe Bay profile image65
      Faybe Bayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Denno! You're here! big_smile

Congratulations Shaz! I will forward you some e-mails, maybe you can rub them for luck and I'll get all those millions they keep promising me. big_smile

1. profile image0

Ill rub em for you Faybe... well.. actually I'll get Hokey to do it for you (im not that way bent!) smile

2. profile image0
      QuincyDaWonderDogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

dey haves mini-sheep? yikes i want some. i could use dem for pillows...

3. profile image0

~Who wants a MINI sheep!  I want a wacking great big one!  Im NO 'its not the size that counts, its the quality'  For me SIZE IS ALL! LOL

3. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

Hey Faybe! Yeah, billions at last count. big_smile

1. Faybe Bay profile image65
      Faybe Bayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wilsh I had a penny for every one of those e-mails. I wouldn't need a job.

1. profile image0
        sophsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

4. Jenna May Swan profile image59
    Jenna May Swanposted 14 years ago

Clever answer to put of those sales guys - wish I'd thought of it!

1. profile image0

Hey... Im happy to share the loooove!  Use it next time one phones you! big_smile

5. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

omg - they call too?  ugh. 

Excellent thinking on your feet, shaz!  smile

1. profile image0

Yes.. just await the pause as they keep you hanging until an available 'cold lead person' can chat to you.  Just act weird, that soon puts em off!  Interestingly, they mentioned that the call was being recorded for training purposes... I wonder if my voice will be used in one of their course?  'How to deal with 'weird' customers in one easy stroke'... lol big_smile

6. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

You should have said something along the lines of "Well I am the commissioner for Gambling laws in my state, and I don't seem to remember your company applying for a sales licence here"

1. profile image0

Well... Im from the UK and much of the cold selling is outsourced to India.  I dont think the rules apply so much.  The idea was to do with membership to a Euro lottery syndication.  Ultimately, it would be sharing the prize with multiple purchases.  Of course, there would be a fee! hahaha

7. Ladybird33 profile image65
    Ladybird33posted 14 years ago

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner (well, that is what we say in the south) smile I am very happy for you!

1. profile image0

Nice to see you read the thread so completely! big_smile

8. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

"Im a winner, things are gonna change, I can feel it!!"

1. profile image0

We are all winners!  We won the great sperm race, you know!

1. profile image0
        Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

HAHAHAHAHHAAHAAA .. I wish I knew how to make my haha's bigger to depcit how big Im laughing. smile

1. profile image0

LOL *wink*

9. Lady_E profile image62
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

Well done Shaz. smile

On a serious note - I'm sensing something dodgy. Did you know that even BT has outsourced to India now. (Most times if you call BT, the call goes straight to India)  Lots of mobile companies use them too. So, those guys have a lot of confidential or should I say phone numbers to hand.

Some people are willing to even pay for that info.

I could be wrong, but it does make one wonder....

1. profile image0

You are absolutely right Lady!  (I can see you were drawn to this thread... maybe you were dreaming of that boat??? hehehe).

We are all 'targetted'.  I am getting soooo fed up with my life being scrutinised. 

Here the UK, we are caught 80 times an hour in our towns and cities - cctv is watching us all (Big brother! - Orwell 1984),  We are told what to do, how to spend our money and conform without protest - we are an oppressed nation!  The government is trying to put a system in place where we are all tracked by satellite in our cars.  That then automatically monitors our speed, the area we are in and be charged by an automated process.  Any way, I digress... we think we have liberty!HA!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)