FIRST HUB-need advice.

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (19 posts)
  1. SuaveDoggie profile image60
    SuaveDoggieposted 14 years ago

Hi,

I just published my first hub page, after lot's of cruising through all the help topics I could find. Any critique would be helpful (except from known trolls who wait under bridges, licking their chops, looking for newcomers to eat).

Seriously, I haven't a clue whether this is acceptable and all the etiquette has been followed.

The Hub is: Obesity: Who Wants to Talk About It?

Thanks,

SuaveDoggie

2. blondepoet profile image68
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

Hi Doggie am going to have a read. smile

3. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

I think your choice of bolding is quite eclectic.

Its pretty but logically unsound.

Its also kind of unusual for people who build a landing page to openly ask for input about it in the forums.

1. blondepoet profile image68
      blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes I agree with the bold text unnecessary to me. smile

4. sunforged profile image71

Also, this is not your first hub page..so this is simply a thinly veiled promo post.

You have once again used the same profile pic at your website as you did in your previous posts complaining about being hit with dupe content flags

5. frogdropping profile image76
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

Well, I was going to mention the landing page bit but sunforged beat me to it. Anyway - the bolding needs to go. It's distracting and drags the eye away. Some people may simply bounce off-page because of it. I would.

Your tags are almost useless. You need to research relevant ones and use them - in the hub too. Nice and natural, don't go crazy, the SE's are not daft.

Headers - yours are kinda lost so I'd fix that up too.

The hub itself reads fine and flows. But it does need a tidy up.

Welcome by the way smile

6. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

I have reviewed your hub and have just a few things to point out.

(a) Not enough keywords/tags - should have between 9-15
    (b) The mixture of bold is foolish and looks childish. There are also other words, such as Italics? This is used in marketing for specific words of emphasis, but you randomly use them.
    (c) The boldness used needs to be on certain words, like (b) and not randomly, so as to give your reader text emphasis.
    (d) As the page appears as of writing this post, it looks messy and needs to be cleaned up. Otherwise, you'll lose your reader instantly.

That's about it.

Btw- Welcome to HubPages. I hope you enjoy your time here. smile

7. sunforged profile image71

This is http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/38971#post900306  his requests pertaining to his real first hubs.

Perhaps this is your first hub that just isnt pasted from other sources? If so , my apologies...but i kind of resent the subterfuge

1. Haunty profile image73
      Hauntyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I kind of wondered about that picture too...

SuaveDoggieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have been floundering around trying to figure out what makes a decent hub for a week now. I was accused of duplicate content, because an article I had written also appeared on my web site, under a pen name. After a few nice PM's from some good people, I was advised to just delete my account and start over, which I did. I then sat down and wrote another article on a passion of mine, which is obesity. Because I was activating a brand new account, I asked if I was doing things better.

Many of you have been supportive, but you sure have some people like sunforged that love to jump to conclusions and try to prove what a great cyber detective they are.

I can sure do without HubPages and they can do without me. Thanks for the early warning signs, sunforged and haunty. I'm through with people like you.

1. sunforged profile image71
          sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You forget my "detective skills" were first used to support you in your past reincarnation..where i pointed out that you were not a filthy plagiarizer, you were merely reposting your own content.

But then after opening up a new thread by a "new" hubber, I see the very same picture all over again (with no backstory) what are we to think?

2. thisisoli profile image69
          thisisoliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Haha yeah sunforged stuck up for you last time after I wrongly accused you of stealing content tongue

landing style pages don't work too well on Hubpages, but there is nothing really in the rules against them, if you keep them informative as well.

I would cut down on the bolding and focus it on your keywords, it is not doing you any favours at the moment!

8. frogdropping profile image76

Well I hope not. I genuinely read your hub. There's enough crap going on in the world without resorting to being underhand. Honestly ...  hmm

9. frogdropping profile image76

Suave, neither sunforged nor Haunty could be accused of being anyhting other than helpful. I know you may feel judged buy you have to remember how many people come here and take the mick.

You know, a few days ago, someone emailed me, asking for help. I gave it. They repaid me by writing their first hub as an almost exact copy of one of mine. Even the URL.

Presumably they read my hub, did a little research, realized it's potential and produced a regurgitated copy. Was I offended? No, not really. It happens. But still - it is very bad mannered.

So whilst they may be judging you, remember that you're doing the same - because you're judging them. Swings and roundabouts smile

Okay...Time to run the white flag up the pole. Not worth getting my guts in a knot. I will just go about my business and learn as much as I can, without offending anyone.

The last post about swings and roundabouts hit home. Good karma is an inner peace that comes with forgiving and forgetting.

Take care and pay it forward!

1. Haunty profile image73
        Hauntyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

frogdropping has a few hubpages faq and blueprint hubs up. Things that are good to know about hubs. smile

I'm sorry if I jumped into the wrong conclusion.

Thanks for the tip. There's also someone named Elle that has some good hubs to get a good feeling for style and content, too. I was given her user name but I can't find it now. Do you know who I'm asking about?

Thanks,

10. andromida profile image56
    andromidaposted 14 years ago

Welcome to hubapges, smile

11. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Well as far as spelling, writing, grammer, talking and sometimes thinking I'm a retard so don't listen to me! That said, welcome to the Hubs these are some pretty smart people use their advice to your advantage!smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)