OYSTERS!...eat 'em alive!

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (53 posts)
  1. qwark profile image61
    qwarkposted 14 years ago

I love oysters on the 'half" shell. Do you?
    What do you like with them?...lemon juice? crackers? horse radish and catsup?..eh?
    Where have you gotten the best ones? They must be freshly shucked, cold and alive to be the best.
    How many can ya eat at 1 sitting?

1. profile image0
      Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I tried an oyster one time. It was disgusting lol

2. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Beverage … hooter.htm

personally, they make me want to vomit...
      but thus recipe might be good for anyone who likes 'em?

1. qwark profile image61
        qwarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hahahaha...vomit eh?
        I can eat about 4 -5 doz. before the main course.
        Ya don't wanna sit at the same table with me when I'm "slurpin'"..lol I need a rubber apron!
        Naw, I'm just kiddin'...about the apron.   :-)

3. prettydarkhorse profile image63
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yeah baked with little soy sauce plus green "citrus" for sauce, can eat full bucket hehe

1. qwark profile image61

Pretty:
        I even like 'em that way...ya got good taste!

4. emievil profile image68
      emievilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

To those who don't like oysters, better not read this. smile

Love oysters. We clean up their shells then pour hot (not boiling) water on them and leave them for a while. Then we crack them open, get the meat and dip it on vinegar with onions. It's our local version of sashimi (yum!).

Also like them baked (like Maita).

1. qwark profile image61
        qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm with you! I like oysters anyway I can get 'em.
        But, I like em best raw and alive...yummm

1. emievil profile image68
          emievilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL. If I eat them raw, I'll make my relatives sick. They can't even stand eating sashimi! Putting in the hot water is a compromise so that all of us will get to eat them. Technically, however, they're still raw big_smile.

5. michifus profile image57
      michifusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Love them - The most I have had raw is 6. It is an acquired taste though!

They are great on a BBQ  - put the half shell on, a squeeze of lemon or lime juice, a touch of chilli - Yum.

1. qwark profile image61

Michi:
        I don't know about the chile....but i've left 'em in the 1/2 shell on the barbie....and yep with a squirt of lemon...delish!

6. gmrfish profile image60
      gmrfishposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Best steamed in their own juices! Don't care for raw though.

2. TLMinut profile image61
    TLMinutposted 14 years ago

When I was a child, my family and another often went to the beach together. Chesapeake Bay, guess it wasn't as polluted then and still safe. The adult friends 'caught' the oysters and ate them like that; I asked to see one but it looked horrible! I've never tried them but at the Jazz Festival every year, another friend of mine gorges on them, she loves them.

What ever made you look at an oyster and think it was food?

1. qwark profile image61

Hahaha   Good question!
      Years ago I was with friends In Shreveport, LA,...we were having a few drinks and my friends ordered oysters on he 1/2 shell..
      argghhhh...lol.. but after a few slurps and a couple more daqueris (spelling), I was talked into trying one...I LOVED IT!
      I've been eatin' 'em "alive," ever since...
      Don't knock it if ya ain't tried it....:-)

1. profile image0
        StormRyderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh I tried it!! Then puked!! big_smile

1. qwark profile image61

hahaha...I hope there were seagulls there to savor the bits...lol

3. Arthur Fontes profile image74
    Arthur Fontesposted 14 years ago

I do not care for oysters.  I do enjoy little necks on the half shell.

Little necks are a New England term for small quahogs.

Lemon juice or cocktail sauce.

1. qwark profile image61

Arthur:
      ...delicious!
      I love 'em to!
      If it comes outa the ocean and is in a shell, I'll eat it...:-)

1. Arthur Fontes profile image74
        Arthur Fontesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Scallops..   My favorite food, though I need them cooked.

I have seen others eat them raw.

1. qwark profile image61

Arthur:
          I used to commercial dive for "rock scallops" in S Calif.
          They and "abalone" are my absolute favorites!
          Rock scallops are "sessile," easy to gather and the "meat" is butter colored and about twice the size of scallops ya get at restaurants.....deeeelicious!!

2. profile image0

awwwww..I know this is off tpoic but ever since you said this, Ive been tryign to remeber... what aer the ohter gross molllusk thingys with huge necks? I forgot tehe name of them, they were on Dirty Jobs...

1. qwark profile image61

longnecks....I call 'em horsec*ck clams

4. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

Sorry qwark - they're vile. Like a snot-filled shell. Just the sight of them makes me come close to hoofing. I'm happy to hear you like them but for me? No ta hmm

1. qwark profile image61

Frog:
      "Snot?"
      Jeez! you swallow a mason jar'a "snot" everyday!
      Only dif with oyster "snot" is ya chew it b4 ya swallow it....lolol...:-)

1. frogdropping profile image78
        frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

*throws up* neutral

1. qwark profile image61

Awww Frog!
          Now ya gota clean yer keyboard....lol :-)

1. frogdropping profile image78
            frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

*nods*

Heyyyyy maybe we should drag the bible into this - like, wasn't there something somewhere that said something about oysters? Then we could all fight, fall out, go silent, sulk, come back and do it all over again wink

*just peeked in the religious forum - as hot as hades as ever*

1. profile image0

nope its against shrimp..  lol

http://godhatesshrimp.com/

1. profile image0

oysters are safe, but yucky.

2. qwark profile image61

FRog:
              Ya gotta get away from myth and fairytale every-once-in-a-while and chat about serious stuff like eating live oysters...eh?   :-)

5. aka-dj profile image64
    aka-djposted 14 years ago

The very first time I had one, at the age of 12, I didn't know you were not supposed to chew them. YUK. It was pretty disgusting.
    These days I love them( I know better now ).
    I don't have many at any one sitting, and like them any way I have had them. big_smile

1. qwark profile image61

Aka:
      ..yer the man!    :-)

6. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

I tried one once. Couldn't get it down.  The only thing available to wash it down with was orange juice at the time-- that didn't work either.

There is a reason they are served with plenty of lemon or chili or tobasco or daqueris.-- preferably with lemon chili tobasco daqueris

1. qwark profile image61

Rochelle:
      I like to give the "erster" a little body to the bite...so I eat 'em with a cracker after I soak 'em in lemon juice....mmm mmm good! :-)

7. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

@Justine - I think you might mean whelks. Equally vile. My dad use to give me one, sit me outside the market on Saturdays and say 'chew it then swallow doll. Don't move until you've chewed it up small enough to eat or you'll choke'. I'd be sat chewing rubber 'til he returned then get to spit it out. I never worked out what he was doing - I was so determined to chew one of them damn things up hmm

8. Csjun89 profile image62
    Csjun89posted 13 years ago

Defintely
    11 oysters at one go once!

9. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

I love oysters roasted on the grill - especially ones from Apalachicola. Now I'm worried the oil spill will ruin them.

10. zzron profile image59
    zzronposted 13 years ago

I can't stand oysters not even fried.  My favorite seafood is fried shrimp with tartar sauce.

11. sagbee profile image58
    sagbeeposted 13 years ago

I can't eat Oysters.. it taste disgusting.. Man How do you do that yikes

1. michifus profile image57

open mouth. tilt head back. pour down that salty goodness.

12. Anolinde profile image80
    Anolindeposted 13 years ago

I love them raw, too!  That's what years spent living in Japan did to me tongue  I had bad food poisoning from them last time I had them, though, and haven't had them since (been years), lol.

1. qwark profile image61

Ano:
      When ya get a bad one, ya gotta wash yer mouth and stick another one back in....lol
      It's like riding a horse, if ya fall off ya gotte get right back on or yer done.....lol
      I've been eating 'em for many many years and (knock on wood) never gotten sick...hada few bad'ns, but it didnt stop me..I can down 4 -5 dozen at a sitting..
      Sagbee....yer a wus...lol...try 'em again! you'll love 'em..:-)

13. solar.power profile image60
    solar.powerposted 13 years ago

Bring on the lemon juice!

14. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

I love them as well as roasted pig eyes.

now that's just plain weird

15. CoffeeLove profile image60
    CoffeeLoveposted 13 years ago

i like them baked topped with cheese and some herbs.

16. Randy Godwin profile image59
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

As an initiation process for a club in high school, a string would be tied to a raw oyster and after the boy to be initiated swallowed it, it was pulled back up.  This way it only took a few oysters!

17. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

ever been to a hog roast?

Yep - but someone must have got to the eyes before me. Maybe it was you!

18. Maddie Ruud profile image72
    Maddie Ruudposted 13 years ago

I hate them.  My partner's alcoholic (and very large) ex-roommate once cornered me drunkenly and poured one down my throat.  It was rather traumatizing.

19. waynet profile image69
    waynetposted 13 years ago

Oysters are bad news when they just look at you with their one shaped muscle mass....they give me nightmares!

20. qwark profile image61
    qwarkposted 13 years ago

The best oyster on the half shell I've eaten are from Louisiana and N.Fla.
    I was working in Shreveport LA and working out at the local YMCA.
    A bunch'a my workout buds and I used to go, every thursday, to a local eatery where raw oysters were served. We'd see who could down the most before ordering a meal...lol My best was 6 doz...then,...dinner.....:-)

21. Richieb799 profile image75
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

how about cockels? they smell nice but I think I only tried once!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)