Why is Scientology labeled as a "Religion?"

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (50 posts)
  1. Obscure Divine profile image61
    Obscure Divineposted 14 years ago

I'm curious how Scientology became legal in the first place, since L. Ron Hubbard openly admitted that he made the sci-fi "stuff" up and/or invented it?  I'm sure he had help with psycho-troubled substances while writing it, but still...  Why would anyone follow this hogwash?  Is it denial, desperation, what???  What drives a person to seek out or become a victim to a cult?  Hmm..., maybe this applies to other "religions" as well, but this particular one seems to stand out on the "BS Meter of Madness."

I'd really like someone to enlighten me about any pros that may exist, when it comes to Scientology...  LOL!

1. profile image0
      WizardOfOzposted 14 years agoin reply to this

in 2000 years it will only be as ridiculous as the rest of them.

Obscure Divineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

In short:  It is ALL labeled as ludicrous?

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ego.
      Ego is what drives the cult of Scientology.
      As it drives the other cults.
      And at the deeper level, the sin of Satan;  the desire to be one's own "god".....

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
        Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL

Definition of a cult = "A religion with no money".

So - sorry - bet they have more money than your cult. wink

Ahh, I thought all of these faddish devotions require at least some money.  I suppose some offering plates are bigger than others.  big_smile

3. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

good question. L. Ron Hubbard started that 'religion' on a bet, i believe. do people even check out these religions before they join them?

Obviously, many people do not.  Ha-ha!

4. tantrum profile image60
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There are only 'pros' for the people in charge. Whoever they are LOL

Ask Tom Cruise ! lol

Isn't he the president of this so-called "religion," now?  LOL!

1. tantrum profile image60

I wouldn't be surprised ! lol

5. Shahid Bukhari profile image61
      Shahid Bukhariposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Common Folks of America ... in particular, and the Modern folks, in general, distanced from True Belief, by Media hypes, supporting these newfangled Religions ... is confusing the common folks ... and away from Religion.

Thus, Confused ... common folks today, are Searching for the Truth of Existential Reality ... Particularly, answer, to the Question of God, Belief, Being, Purpose, and Life, etc..

Now since, your "Free" Media, ensures that you don't go back to Belief in God ... keeps you Confused ... So you are forced seek Alternative ways of Understanding the Truth and Reality ... and try do so, via Science, and its obnoxious Theories ... or the UFO and aliens teachings based Galactic Religions !

The smart cookies, see the Common Folks Confusion, as a rare business opportunity to make the fastest dollar, and euros etc.. ...  and start these new Cults and Religions.

I hear, a Hindu Maharishi had over a hundred Rolls Royce's, and a huge Estate, called an Ashram ... his Religious Sanctuary, in California ... acquired from  "donations" of his followers ... he was eventually thrown out of US on Tax Fraud charges, and sent back to India, where, under more "flexible" tax law conditions, he set up an "Ashram" ... for the "remaining Seekers of Truth" !

I believe, what your Books say, is generally  truer than what these smart aleks say or preach ... Therefore, it will be better, if you to go back to your church, or alternatively try understand, then embrace Islam ...

But watch out for the smart aleks ... hiding behind the Alien Brands of   Christianity and Islam ... or the Modern versions of Christianity and Islam ... calling these new Religions, usually claimed by one, claiming to be Christ's modern incarnation ! .

And how to know, if the ones you are dealing with, are the Right people ...

Well ! ... check out the Lifestyle of the High Priest, and his Assistant Priests ... before making any cash donations.

2. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 14 years ago

I wonder if it's labeled a religion in order to get tax write-offs.....

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Their garbage is no less ridiculous than your nonsense.

And they don't hate gays.......

3. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 14 years ago

because its a free country and we like it like that - you don't have to agree with everything everyone else believes - and you can worship beavers if you want, as long as you want!  Proud to be alive in the land of the free!  If you're worried about things like this, you're the one with a problem!

If you're desperate enough to believe something that someone else says "they made up and/or lied about" then more power to your freedom to be duped & deluded!  This is true, anyone is also free to cut their own throat, as well.  Praise be!   I don't think anyone on this thread is "worried" about any of this baloney.  I think it is a humorous topic, and I'm free to think this...  LOL!

1. mega1 profile image78
        mega1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

well, I hate to disillusion you, but I'm sure that 80 or 90 percent of the bible is also "made up" or at the very least "embroidered, exaggerated and compounded" so believe what you want to believe is what I'm saying.  I believe that acceptance, tolerance and compassion are good to start with - forget about worshiping any human no matter how great they were - but that's what I believe, anyhow.  In fact, anyhow, the word WORSHIP represents something I just don't want to do.  Blind faith - you can have it.

I don't believe in ANY organized religions.  But, at least Jesus didn't say or was quoted saying, "Hey, I made this sci-fi crap up so I could invent a religion."  To me, it makes it even more asinine to follow a cult that the founder admits that he invented the damn thing from thin air and for money!  Ha-ha!  You know, that was kind of honest of Ron.  Hmm...  LOL!

1. mega1 profile image78

You're right - Jesus probably (but how would we know) didn't say nothing like that - but some of his followers who made a mighty good living off his martyrdom made up some really exquisite and funny stuff - and are still parading around in their bonnets asking for "donations"  and trying to "save" the heathens!  It is all delightfully primitive and funny!

Ahh, you have finally arrived at the jest of the joke of this thread.  Ha-ha-ha!

1. mega1 profile image78

finally

I hope so...  neutral

2. tantrum profile image60

Do you really know what Scientology do to people ?

I don't think 'mega1' does; too busy caught up in a haze of so-called "freedom."

1. mega1 profile image78

hey, get over it and live your OWN life!

I was never on it?  I laughed at this crap, years ago.  LOL!  I was just bringing it up, to see what type of responses it would bring - even your lame replies was appreciated.  Ha-ha!

1. mega1 profile image78

glad to know it!  in future will refrain from replying to your inane threads!

You're the inane one that admitted not too long ago, on another thread,  that you still have to use a thesaurus just to find new words.  Ha-ha!  How empty is that?  Such skills ya got there...  LOL!

2. mega1 profile image78

come on, Tantrum - did you read what I was saying? I wasn't defending any religion! just our rights to have them if we want -   or scientology or any of that -  you know me by now, don't you?

Scientology is not a religion. It's a Sect

1. mega1 profile image78

hahahaha

LOL!
              Are you a Scientologist ?

1. mega1 profile image78

girl, you just don't read or listen do you?  I am not any of those things!  My philosophy (not a religion) is closest to buddha, but I don't WORSHIP!  I think its primitive and unevolved.

Trying to put you on edge ! LOL
                  Sorry ! lol

1. mega1 profile image78

didn't -  LMAO!

4. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

i think beavers are kind of cute.

otters too. and koalas. i wouldn't mind worshiping those little guys wink

1. mega1 profile image78

also cute little pink little baby pigs!  also chicks!  kittens are definitely there - cats DESERVE our worship!  don't you agree?  You'd BETTER agree!

1. profile image0

hmm...it seems to me i heard of such a religion somewhere ... wink

hee hee my bunny thinks i should worship her. and i DO winksmile

1. mega1 profile image78

I believe you should have a great golden bunny made and I will come and adore it!

1. profile image0

http://berenika.hr/images/uploads/golden_bunny_news.png

"Do not worship any other bunny, for the golden BUNNY, whose name is Snickers, is a jealous bunny."

"Splendor and majesty are before him; strength and joy in his dwelling place. Ascribe to the BUNNY, O families of nations, ascribe to the BUNNY glory and strength, ascribe to the BUNNY the glory due his name. Bring an offering (preferably carrots) and come before him; worship the BUNNY in the splendor of his bunliness."

(surely i will burn for this;)

then again, if L. Ron Hubbard can do it, so can i big_smile

1. Rod Marsden profile image67
              Rod Marsdenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I do believe the holy hand grenade can sort out your golden bunny no worries.

I like this talk...  You throw the hand blasters while I come around the side with a bazooka!  We'll nail that bastard!  Ha-ha!

1. Rod Marsden profile image67
                  Rod Marsdenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

just so long as your bazooka is a holy bazooka you're on, Obscure Divine!

Ha-ha!  Ya damn right!  I just polished it with "holy water" and I'm ready to kill some innocent bunnies!  I'm feeling a seasonal urge to put that Easter Bunny in a state of holy demise.  LOL!

2. Obscure Divine profile image61

Isn't there a religion out there that worships cows?  Just curious...

1. profile image0
        WizardOfOzposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hindu

I thought of that, not long after I typed that question.  Don't they believe that life starts from the cycle of a cow; I don't really know the concept behind it?  Personally, when I think cow, I think Rib-Eye steak!  Yummy!  tongue

5. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 14 years ago

I know what christianity has done to some people, but I admit I don't know much about scientology -  its all doodoo to me!

Nobody accused you of being knowledgeable of the subject at hand; duh!  LOL!  big_smile

6. Rod Marsden profile image67
    Rod Marsdenposted 14 years ago

From what I gather Hubbard wrote a science fiction story then wondered what would happen if he tried out some of the ideas he put down in his fictional writing. Thus Scientology was born.

They've tried it on in Australia but it seems to work best in the USA.

Not everyone agrees that it is a proper religion. A bank in Germany thought it was a great con and the people running it criminals. This bank refused to deal with representatives of Scientology. Basically they said that they don't deal with money from swindlers and other criminals. Scientology representatives took the bank to court over the issue. The Scientology people lost. Hence I would say that to this day the German government doesn't recognize Scientology as a respectable religion or any kind of religion worthy of a banker's time for that matter.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)