What would it take to change your beliefs?

Jump to Last Post 51-64 of 64 discussions (253 posts)
  1. yenajeon profile image70
    yenajeonposted 14 years ago

The only way I would change my belief is if the end of the world came or I died and found out there was no heaven and I was just in a box.

2. profile image0
    hamstersmessiahposted 14 years ago

a sincere and humble apology from my creator.

3. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Yep! I like the full cycle thing. We start out as a worm and end up worm food. Seems sorta poetic! lol

4. pylos26 profile image70
    pylos26posted 14 years ago

I would enter me horse into that race also...Lineoprogression.

5. profile image0
    china manposted 14 years ago

The only thread I have actually read all the way through since I have been here is the one on mental illness. I was impressed by the bravery, decency and understanding of the contributors, even moved by the compassion that came through.

The other thing that came from it was how, what we classify as mentally ill, is very often just a person who varies from the average that we like to call normal. Yet normal can happily enslave others, commit genocide and make war on others, recently over oil.

A belief in a deity is surely only a divergence from that same norm? We all have a need to rationalise our environment, and we all make our own reality, or personal universe; 'believers' just choose to paper over what they don't know with a god. Isn't this just the same fear of the unknown that leads others to pile up obscene amounts of wealth.

Religion is populated with people who are clearly suffering from what some describe as mental illness, visions, voices, sacrificing our own children, talking to burning bushes etc etc ad infinitum.

All of it would be as harmless as Hokey if people just lived what they believe, the only real problem is trying to force it on others; and one of the things that keeps that going is talking to them about it. From my very good schizophrenic friend I learned that arguing with it just makes it worse, if he decided that 'something' was going on and wanted to trash the local bar no discussion or reasoning was going to stop him. Ignoring him completely sometimes worked, distracting him to something else, maybe a party back at his house, again, sometimes would work - otherwise we would just go bail him out next morning.

6. 2besure profile image80
    2besureposted 14 years ago

At one time, I was an agnostic.  My brother had been shot in the back and was paralyzed from the waist down.  I woman Evangelist came in and began to talk to us.  I keep one giving her a hard time and asking a bunch of questions, I though she could not answer.  She asked my brother if he wanted her to pray for him and he said yes.  After she prayed from him, his leg began to move.  Later that week he was able to walk again.  That made me begin to change what I believed about God.

7. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

Evidence to the contrary.

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

smile

8. qwark profile image61
    qwarkposted 14 years ago

If "god" would stop by, take off his shoes, step behind the x ray monitor, pass a luggage and underwear check and provide all the "required" ID, he could pass to the next station.
    I'd do an NCIC check for criminal background and require fingerprints for an FBI clearance.
    I'd then have to have an angel appear for corroboration. The "angel" would be required to pass all the same checks.
    If I was convinced that god was who he said he was, I'd excuse the angel, allow god to dress...arrange a meeting with Dana White, the President of the UFC and setup an octagon fight with me so that I could wreak vengeance upon his holyness for the horrid mess he is responsible for here on this beautiful planet.
    In other words I'd beat the shit outa the inept, heavenly asshole.
    If he could whip my ass, he might gain my respect.
    Other than that, there is no way I'd believe in this mythical screw up...folks call "god."

lol lol lol lol lol !!!!! You speak without fear, and say what you mean clearly, and on this thread, that is not only amazing, but terribly funny! lol

1. qwark profile image61
        qwarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hahaha..Earn, and written from the heart!  :-)

9. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 14 years ago

just an observation: in the Hebrew perspective, everything everyone is replying coincides with exactly how they 'thought'.
    i find it amazing in 5,770 1/2 years since the introduction of Mosaic principle, the exact same conversations are happening...

perhaps it suggests we step beyond 'our' thinking, knowledge, preconceived ideas, titles and self-indulgent and cynical vices to actually understand what this entire existence is really about.

10. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

what would cause me, a believer, to become a non-believer?

Death.  Because then I would no longer be able to think.

11. Hokey profile image60
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

Believe nothing merely because you have been told it.
    Do not believe what your teacher tells you merely out of respect for the teacher.
    But whatever, after due examination and analysis,
    you find to be kind, conducive to the good, the benefit, the welfare of all beings -
    that doctrine believe and cling to, and take it as your guide.

1. Rafini profile image81
      Rafiniposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I believe you just described going to Church and studying the Bible!  smile

That is the longest bow I have seen drawn here. lol

12. serenitysheir profile image60
    serenitysheirposted 14 years ago

The only way for me to believe in god is if the apocalypse happen and god and jesus came to me and told me it was so. And then i went to the hospital and they proved to me that i was not hit by a bus and i am not in a coma (( which i most likely still won't believe)) then god explained to me 4 things.
    1. If satan hates god so much why does satan, ruler of hell, punish us for taking god's name in vain.
    2. If being prideful is a sin why is god allowed to sin and not us is he not perfect? I mean is making people worship you a act of pride? and pride is of the 7 deadly sins right?
    3. The bible says thou shall not kill. . . then why does it also say you should stone people to death. Is stoning someone to death not killing? and why does he kill people. The great flood? Egypt? Sodom and Gomorrah? 
    4. Why, if god knows every thing, would he create people just to punish them in hell.

if god answered those question and told me a good answer not just "because i said so. or, because i am"
    then i may be able to believe . . . but most likely not . . . i will think i'm in a coma

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I like the way you think. smile lol lol

13. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

You seem to require some evidence. smile Me too! smile

1. serenitysheir profile image60
      serenitysheirposted 14 years agoin reply to this

well people say that they go on faith alone. No i believe that most people only believe because of fear not faith. Fear is what drives them. They can't stand to think they will end up dead in a box with no where to go.

1. profile image0
        lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

welcome serenity, glad your here big_smile

2. earnestshub profile image80

I thought your post was great! Welcome to hubpages. smile

14. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

five bucks and a pack of smokes

oh, and a lighter too big_smile

I can help you out with a horizon blue. They're bloody orrible, but rolled in to joints they burn just fine. smile

1. profile image0
        lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol smile big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)