nasty comments on one of my hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (29 posts)
  1. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

i keep getting nasty comments on this hub:

http://hubpages.com/hub/THE-BEAT-GENERATION

the people who leave nasty comments are in disguise (unverified persons). the latest two:

ip: 75.166.47.176clue 2 hours ago

get a clue before you act like you can teach others about this stuff....you write like a tourist

ip: 71.237.116.93your dad 1 minute ago
    you have basically summarized corny commercial attempts to exploit the beats without ever encountering or penetrating the original phenomenon itself. please delete this display of ignorance from the web now.

i have said that this hub was a broad and general overview of beatniks and wrote it for fun. period.

what is so offensive about this hub? any advice would be appreciated.

1. Mutiny92 profile image65
      Mutiny92posted 14 years agoin reply to this

that's a pretty rough family - "Your Dad" is pretty harsh!  ;-)

2. profile image0
    wordscribe41posted 14 years ago

I haven't had a chance to read it, cosette.  I'm sure there's nothing offensive there.  People enjoy taking pot shots, I've run across some of that nastiness on other's hubs recently.  Of all the hubs to pick on, I can't imagine the beat generation would create anything controversial.  Weird.  I'm sorry to hear you're dealing with that.  hmm

3. profile image0

thanks WS. i say in the hub that it is general and it is certainly not a treatise on the beatnik movement. it's a light fun hub.

i don't get how people can just go on someone's hub and leave trashy comments like that, and under a fake name. that to me is low. and people wonder why i despise sockpuppets so much.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
      Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

I didn't see anything offensive. Just flush the non-hubbers, if you don't want to deal with it. They don't add anything.
      I can understand why some who were fully immersed in the culture might think you gave it a cursory coverage-- let them write something in depth if they wish.
      Brought back some youthful memories for me, even though it did occur to me that "it was more than that", when I read it.
      It is what it is-- and fine for a lighthearted  article on the subject, though I might have included the folksinging. smile

2. profile image0

'k you guys, thanks. maybe i should put a disclaimer at the very beginning saying this is only a fond, fun, light overview. just to be clear. that helps. i see i need to improve the writing on there a bit.

3. profile image0

I hear you, trust me I do.  I've somehow escaped any rude hub comments, but I've gotten some choice emails of late.  I especially love how my innocent little daughter happened to see one.  My mistake for being so naive that I didn't use an alternative email address, though.  roll

4. profile image0

oh noes... yikes

i have escaped nasty emails thank goodness wink

5. donotfear profile image82
      donotfearposted 14 years ago

I just read the hub and thought it was excellent! There was absolutely nothing offensive in it..and it was quite entertaining. 

I got a real hate message on one of my hubs the other day. Man, she gave me a tongue lashing!!! Shamed & blamed me, put me on the spot.  I didn't delete it. I responded..she wasn't registered. It was on Conformity Through Persuasion: A Polish Wedding. 

She really slammed me. Ha! I just laughed.

1. donotfear profile image82
        donotfearposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Here's what the chick slammed me with:

"Fi 3 days ago

This is an absolute pathetic interpretation of "conformity". You begin by talking about shoes, heels, and how 'all European women wear them so you have to too.' - WRONG! I'm European, I'm a girl, and I never wear heels. I find them uncomfortable and impractical. So as it turns out you made a stereotype, then decided all by yourself to fit that stereotype, then decided to write a blog about how you were in pain all evening because of that stereotype.

Your second misinterpretation of the word "conform" - 'I'm full of food, I cannot eat anymore, other people tell me to eat so I eat'. That's not conformity, that's lack of willpower. I have been living for the past six years in a non-English speaking country. My experience of people here is that they will use the English they know to make me their friend. This English can be any phrase from 'be careful (when driving)' to 'so pretty (as regards my looks)' to 'eat, it's very good (as regards food)'. This is not insulting behaviour. Neither is it behaviour that demands conformity. In my experience these things are said to open communication, to show the speaker can speak my language, so that the speaker can show he/she knows I might feel lonely because others don't speak my language, and, finally, but most importantly, as a gesture of welcome into their culture/community/home. Also I can't see why you didn't do what most people would do which is to smile, take the food, nibble a little, and then let it all sit there until the next person came along. Would that really be so difficult?

As for the 'game' you got into - really, you couldn't sit and say, "No, no, I'm too tired," and mimic sleeping gestures, which tend to be universal in every language? You seriously couldn't do that?

I read this whole blog post, and quite frankly what I saw was the writing of someone seeking attention and looking to show off their ability to use references. Well done for that, ten out of ten I say. That's a score of one hundred percent. You should be proud. As for the rest of it, by insisting you were forced to conform every step of the way you deny you had the power to change the situation through each of those steps. You DID have that power. You could have chosen comfy shoes. You could have let the food sit on your plate. You could have appealed to your son at any moment in time."

What a beating!

1. AdsenseStrategies profile image63
          AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm European and I wear heels all the time

1. Sab Oh profile image57
            Sab Ohposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I figured as much

2. donotfear profile image82

And you're not mad at me.....!

2. Betty Reid profile image60
          Betty Reidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wow, thanks for sharing that!  I hope she stays in Europe.

I know, wasn't it awful?  I laughed my head off. She needed to use somebody as a punching bag. Just tore me to pcs!!!!

lol

6. profile image0

you?

gosh you're so nice i can't imagine anyone getting that weirded-out over your writing. yikes

thanks! i added a disclaimer and moved it from the social category to the writing category. thanks for all of your advice you guys!

7. profile image0

geez

can you spell O-V-E-R-K-I-L-L?

omgsh

sorry that happened to you. people get all unhinged these days.

8. profile image0

omg haha!!! big_smilebig_smilebig_smile

9. profile image0

donotfear and cosette, it's ludicrous, really.  cosette, I just read the hub and cannot find a darn objectionable word in there.  It's interesting what yanks people's proverbial chains and what doesn't. Some of the hubs I have written that I deemed more controversial have somehow been left alone.  It doesn't quite seem to fit such an innocuous topic especially when only so much can be covered in a hub, for crikies sake.

Yeah, for sure. I think that somebody just reads our stuff with a preconceived idea and a chip on the shoulder which creates an attack mode. Sounds psychological, doesn't it?  In reading the tongue lashing I got, I could see a lot of negativity and defensiveness. I musta pushed a wrong button!

I responded with the following:

Fi: Hmmmm, interesting you aren't a registered hubber. Gee, thanks for the long tongue lashing. This article was actually a research paper I did for college right before I graduated in 2005. It was for my Social Psychology class. My professor gave me a 4.0 on the paper with a note that I should submit to Franzoi's website for publishing. My rough draft came back marked "no changes needed. good paper". I respect his opinion, as he is Doctorate level, that my work was good enough. I spent many days working on this. I don't care if you didn't like it. Sounds like you just needed to shame & blame someone for your whipping boy today. Thanks for the lashing.

Surprise!!!!!lol

10. Mike Lickteig profile image78
      Mike Lickteigposted 14 years ago

Cosette, I read your hub and enjoyed it tremendously.  You captured the spirit of the beatnik movement and its literature quite well.  I thought it was excellent.

11. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

cosette, the one you got looks like it might be a kid (high school or college) who wouldn't read at all it he weren't given an assignment on a subject - so when that happens, the person gets irked that he didn't run into the Encyclopedia Britannica or else some hard-to-find doctoral thesis on the subject.  (The kid is probably already irked that he has to do his research in the first place.  lol )

1. profile image0
        cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

heh, maybe so. wink

thanks Mike. always a pleasure...

12. Sufidreamer profile image80
      Sufidreamerposted 14 years ago

Hehe - Just had a juicy comment on my Hubs.

"Things are going to get worse before they get better, but we are all hoping that the Euro collapses. The high exchange rates are crippling the Greek economy."

WHY??? Do you think only about yourselves? Don't you get it that you did it all to yourselves, which is why the exchange rates are so high? That the GREEKS didn't do anything against the low taxes for the rich, the corruption, the unrealistically low retirement age (at 61 years!!!), the lies to the other EU members? Greece wasn't ready to join the Euro, but your countrymen went ahead anyway. Nobody in your country stopped it from joining the Euro, in spite of knowing about the corruption. Your countrymen LIED to the other Euro-countries.

I am amazed how little solidarity you show to other Euro-countries that already have much more austere measures taken than what your government plans are and what your countrymen are protesting against. My God, we are even willing to bail your country out. If I were Greek, I would be so ashamed of my country. You prefer not to go down alone, but to take down every Euro-country with you... Wow. I am shocked.

If that's the case for the majority of your people, and it seems like it is, given the mass protests against relatively mild measures compared to the measures already taken in Germany, Holland, Belgium, UK, etc (and dont you see how bad these protests look to the world and to the financial world in particular? do you WANT your country to go down??), then you are not only on the way to become economically bankrupt but also morally bankrupt.

I BE DAMNED TO SEE MY COUNTRY GO DOWN THE DRAIN WITH YOURS.

A concerned Luxemburger.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I might have been offended if I were Greek lol

13. Chloe Comfort profile image61
      Chloe Comfortposted 14 years ago

Just checked it out cosette and for the life of me, I cannot find anything offensive to deserve those nasty comments.

Guess someone either woke up on the wrong side of the bed or didn't get any last night big_smile

14. thisisoli profile image72
      thisisoliposted 14 years ago

Heh I have had a few of those, I generally publish them and respond, at least it shows that I read comments, and I am willing to back up my points and how I cam about them.

I don't like people who are really in to their 'image'. Every person I have known who is elitist about being a down and out or a follower of some random fashion trend can suck my salty balls, seriously.

15. donotfear profile image82
      donotfearposted 14 years ago

Ha!!!!  First thing today I go check my comments and presto!!!!!!     ANOTHER pompous, head master holding the yardstick of correction for English teachers across America left me this warm message of correction:

Rainholder 9 hours ago

Those are not epithets. epithets are words that decribe or add on to a person or thing. Kind of like a nickname or an extention of a name. Examples: Cathrine The Great (The great being the epithet) Or Gandalf The Gray (The Gray being the epithet) Or Donnalbalm the wonderer. So sadly I must say I did on enjoy your epithets considering there were none on your post.
      http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Best-of-Southern-Epithets

lol lol lol lol I'm still laughing!!!!
      My reply:
      Rainholder: Tut, tut my pompous friend! I do believe the definition of epithet, according to Websters New World dictionary is: a word or phrase characterizing some person or thing. Here's another definition: a term used to characterize a person or thing.

I looked it up before I ever published this, oh head master. (Makes me wonder if it's not same sock puppet under different names).

16. profile image0
      zampanoposted 14 years ago

I've read your hub.
      Subjective and general as you say, and it expresses well your point of view as well as your interest on the subject.
      I think it is a nice hub as we are used to have from you.
      Those who leave those "nasty" comments would be bitter religious integrists should they post on the religious forums.
      And the idea of a kid writing on the subject looks like sacrilege to them.
      Keep groovin' !

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)