Kontera

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Netters profile image60
    Nettersposted 15 years ago

Can someone explain to me what Kontera is?  And is it good to sign up with or not? 
    Thanks!

2. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

Complete waste of time unless you are getting substantial amounts of page views. i.e several hundred thousand a month.

They have very low click values, never answer any questions and you will probably take months to get paid.

Bet they wish they had answered my questions now huh? lol

3. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 15 years ago

If you enable Kontera on a hub, they will dynamically scan the content of your hub and place double underline links on some of the phrases.  If a reader puts their mouse over one of those phrases an ad will appear over top of your text.  If they click on the ad, you'll make some money.  You can see their demo here, and learn more about it.

Because the minimum Kontera payout is $100, and it tends to earn at around 20-25% the rate of AdSense (I'd be curious if that is accurate for others) -- I'd suggest waiting until you are making $20 or more a month from AdSense before you consider trying Kontera.  That way you'll have a good shot at getting a check from Kontera in a reasonable timeframe.

1. ngureco profile image81
      ngurecoposted 15 years agoin reply to this

My questions to Paul is this:

1. If you make $20 in kontera and $100 in adsense, don't you think you would have made at least $120 in adsense if you didn't have kontere?

2. Can you be able to set the type of ads display to appear in you hub say contentlink flex, contentlink video, contentlink billboard, contentlink text & image or contentlink text? And if so, which is better in earning returns?

1. Lissie profile image75
        Lissieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thats not my experience : except for Aug when everyone seemed to have a dip Adsense probably due to summer/Olypmics - my Adsense has gone up every month and Kontera has stayed about the same - Kontera doesn't seem to adversely affect Adsense  in my experience

Actually give the choice Id rather have $100 in Adsense and $20 in kontera rather than $120 in Adsense - the more diversified my income is the better

2. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
        pauldeedsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

It's possible, but we didn't notice any decline in AdSense revenue in our test.

4. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

Paul - at $20 a month from adsense, and 20% from Kontera - that means making $4 a month. If you wait for the $100 payout, that means waiting 25 months for the first payment.

I am indeed getting around 20%, but I have still not reached my first $100 after 4 months, because I only make about $150 a month from adsense.

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF

Most people that reach the $20/month level from AdSense enjoy gradual traffic and earnings increases over time, especially if they remain active on HubPages.  I think someone making $20/month today on AdSense would have a reasonable shot at getting a Kontera check within a year (they would need about 10% a month earnings growth -- $20, $22, $24, $27, ... ).  If a year is longer than you'd like to wait, that's certainly understandable -- just wait until your making $100/month, $200/month, $500/month, or whatever ... it's totally up to you.

5. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 15 years ago

ONLY make $150.00.hmmm.what's your secret mark? ;smile

6. Netters profile image60
    Nettersposted 15 years ago

OK  Thanks guys.  So far I have made .01cents from Adsense, that was about a month ago, before I joined Hubpages.  Don't know what I'm doing wrong.  Oh well.

7. Lissie profile image75
    Lissieposted 15 years ago

Paul your 20% is about right: I am making about $4/month with Kontera and $30 with Adsense hubpages - I think the Kontera figures really depend on your content - some of their targetting is woeful for my hubs: particularly if hub is no focused on the US market.  I think that the real problem is the $100 is a crazy high level for a minimum payout.  They should follow the eBay model and payout at $5 - it will encouirage more people to use them.  Its really only Adsense that has the market share to justify the $100 minimum - and don't even get me started on Amazon's woeful options!

8. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 15 years ago

After some slow months starting out, I'm doing great with Kontera this month and it's not taking several hundred thousand pageviews.  At the end of September, I reviewed a lot of my lenses and made a bunch of optimizations and expansions to the text content and that seemed to do the trick.  If the present average daily earnings hold steady, my Kontera earnings will wind up being about 53% of my AdSense. 

And I get answers from them in the three days that their auto-responder says is the time it will take to get an answer.

1. Jerrico Usher profile image58
      Jerrico Usherposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Realche Thank you for your post, this is very interresting- so interresting in fact that I would like to ask if you could write a hub on how to optomize your kontera earnings or maybe even adsense for newbies to help us out? (and I'd love to add such a hub to my linkbacks from my site for my readers to gain from your wisdom as well later)..

any thoughts?

Jerrico

9. Jerrico Usher profile image58
    Jerrico Usherposted 15 years ago

I'm also seeing about 4.00 a month/20% but it seems SLOOOOOWWWWWWW way to make money and when it comes to the readers experience on my hub I'm debating if the pay out is worth the annoyance it's causing my readers. I haven't recieved any complaints on it although people don't generally complain about these things, but I'm going to perservere with it for a year and see if it ramps up once I start applying my serious SEO on and off page trials with my experiment site.

This will give me a chance to test Marks concept of 100k hits + a month to the account as well. I'll let you know what happens.

My question to paul is do we earn any money from kontera content on our affiliate hubauthor's accounts like we do with adsense? Do you revolve that code as well as adsense with affiliate page views? If we do 1. this is awesome 2. this will give me another test to try with my 100k signup goal to see if kontera would make decent payout in the grand scheme of things with affiliate sign ups i.e. if it doesn't make each author much money that would be one thing but if it makes someone with 100k authors signed up as affiliates this could prove to be a substantial income in the pennies from heaven sort of way across all your affiliate sign ups..

Just throwing another perspective. I notice alot of people aren't exploiting the affiliate signup realm of earning money (the way I believe is the best leveraging of your income earning potential on hubpages)...

any thoughts paul?

Jerrico

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF

Yes you do.

yes.

There are a handful of people that probably make more from the affiliate program than their own hubs, but I'm not sure that is an easy position to achieve.   If you are signing up lots of people, 90% of the signups will never write a single hub.  Of those that do write a hub, you'll make very little from most.  The key to making money from the affiliate program is signing up one or two authors that area really successful.  If you had introduced Maddie to HubPages, you'd be making $100+ a month just from that.  Unfortunately for every Maddie there are a thousands of Hubbers like these, that just aren't willing, interested in, or capable of making significant money from HubPages.

10. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 15 years ago

I'm one of those people who finds Kontera links deeply annoying when I encounter them on other sites, so I've resisted joining up.  I'm thinking I may trial them on one or two of my high-volume Hubs and see what happens, though.

11. ngureco profile image81
    ngurecoposted 15 years ago

I agree with you Lissie.

One should not keep all his/her eggs in one basket. Diversification is the key word.

1. Jerrico Usher profile image58
      Jerrico Usherposted 15 years agoin reply to this

just don't drop your hubpages account smile all the eggs might break smile

12. ngureco profile image81
    ngurecoposted 15 years ago

I won’t say anything.

1. profile image0
      terrygposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Me neither.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)