Hubpages traffic down

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (56 posts)
  1. soni2006 profile image79
    soni2006posted 12 years ago

My HP traffic down since last three to four days and it's a matter of great concern for me. I have already written 50 hubs for the contest but still I am not seeing the traffic that I was seeing post google algorithm change. Is there anyone else who is facing the same problems. I have started hating myself for writing so many hubs now. Actually we as writers need some good traffic when we are writing quality hubs. I don't what is good is up to but still if anyone can discuss something about this problem would be really helpful.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Mine too, views are hovering around 350...at one point I was getting over 600 views a day.

1. profile image0
        Baileybearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm only getting around 100 views a day for 50-odd articles.  Don't feel so motivated to write hubs if they aren't going to get read

2. iamalegend profile image59
      iamalegendposted 12 years agoin reply to this

one of the interesting fact i noted after post panda is the blogger post getting indexed at the moment of publishing

soni2006posted 12 years agoin reply to this

No buddy that was happening before also if you have quality content and well ranked blog.

2. profile image0
        TopUniverseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Soni is right. It happening way back.

3. Trsmd profile image57
      Trsmdposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Because of the ad sharing between adsense and hubpages traffic war may be going.. for me also traffic has come down by 50% of normal average traffic

No this is not a valid reason friend. Ad sharing does not have any relationship with traffic. That's an internal thing.

4. profile image52
      klord1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Please what is hubpages all about?

1. Randy Godwin profile image59
        Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you write decent content which people are searching for, you make decent money!  Simple as pie!  smile

2. mdlawyer profile image44
    mdlawyerposted 12 years ago

Hi, Soni. You seem to have been pretty busy writing a good number of hubs.  Since the algorithm change my traffic is just around 50% of what it had been previously.  For most hubbers,it is said, the 'meltdown' continues. Google panda and the content farm issues. Hopefully, things may improve.

3. camlo profile image84
    camloposted 12 years ago

My views are also down by about 50%, and at this rate, it'll take a month of Sundays until I see another Adsense pay out.

Things can't really get any worse, so I guess they can only get better.

4. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

Mine too. They are lower now after the roll-out to English speaking countries than they were post Panda I, and there is worse to come when this rolls out to the non-English speaking countries.

I had plans to have 1000 hubs by the end of this year but I've all but given up writing new ones. It's so demotivating to see new hubs gets a few hub views and then nothing.

Oh and its worse at weekends.

I've started some new blogger blogs and some domains of my own. Might as well put my efforts there.

1. camlo profile image84
      camloposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So things will get worse ...

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've been noticing mine has been bad since about Tuesday of last week.

1. IzzyM profile image86
        IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That would be the 12th. The roll-out (which included Canada) took place on the 11th.

3. profile image0
      andycoolposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi IzzyM, you said, "It's so demotivating to see new hubs gets a few hub views and then nothing." Would you mind sharing that 'nothing' means how many a day for one such hub? Thanks! smile

1. IzzyM profile image86

"nothing' means zero, zilch, a bit fat 0, no views.

Of the 16 hubs I have published this month, 10 of them got zero views today, and only 1 got more than 5.

EDIT: and those 10 have had 10 or less views each in the past week. Google doesn't seem to be giving new hubs the boost they once did.

1. profile image0
          andycoolposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks IzzyM, then the situation is quite alarming this April. I hope things will start to improve from May after the dust settles.

2. anujagarwal profile image57
          anujagarwalposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The same thing is happening with all my new hubs. After couple of days , no further views are coming.

4. profile image0
      TopUniverseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

How many post you have on the blogger blog and how is the traffic?

5. soni2006 profile image79
    soni2006posted 12 years ago

I didn't knew that there were so many people in the same boat as I am. I have also been concentrating on writing more and more blogs on my blogspot account so that I make at least the adsense payout, HP ad program is working fine. Last month was no as bad as this month regarding traffic. All my top performing hubs are showing blue (down) arrow keys in "my account" and a very few are showing up arrow keys. I think we need to seriously think about this issue. Previous to this, I was seeing a consistent gain in earnings via adsense.

1. viking305 profile image92
      viking305posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes my traffic is down by at least 80% from February.  It really stinks. 

Last November I made my first payout at twice the amount required.

My earnings had shot up to 3 times the required amount for payout in December

Then January saw my payout rise again to over 5 times the required amount for payout. 

All my hard work of writing good hubs, learning and following the rules etc were paying off. Finally I was actually earning a very good income from writing articles online.

Then Black February came.  I only made twice the amount for my Feb. payout.  Last month in March  it was just barely what was needed to qualify for a payout

As for this month I have not made even half of what is needed and will not qualify for a payout.  Like I said it really stinks. 

So you are not the only writer who has been screwed by Google and their new rules.  Makes me really wonder what is behind this.  We were earning a good amount of money from Google Adsense because we met the rules and produced good quality content.  But they decided to change the search rules! Why...

If you do a search now for any subject on Google search, it seems to me anyway, that most of the time it is unreal what bad sites and articles are now appearing on the first page of Google.

I was searching for something yesterday and the number 1 link did not even answer the question.  I had to go to no 5 link to get the correct website and information I was looking for.

It is very disappointing and depressing because as you say when you write a large amount of hubs and then this happens you do wonder what it is all about. 

Many a time I have been tired and pushed myself to do more research and finish a hub to the best of my ability. But I believe it is not worth it now. 

I am still writing but only because I would go crazy if I didn't.  This new Google thing and the complete wipe out of my traffic has hit me for six and completely disgusted me.

6. Mikeydoes profile image43
    Mikeydoesposted 12 years ago

Having more hubs and content out there is never a bad thing. The can end up becoming very lucrative, and you may be looking back saying.. Boy I'm glad I did write those 50 hubs.

1. camlo profile image84
      camloposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree. I'm pretty sure the present situation isn't going to last forever.

My google.com traffic is actually back to normal. I didn't take note of how long that took, but it wasn't long. So, if that's anything to go by, it won't be long before the rest is up too.

2. Sinea Pies profile image62
      Sinea Piesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for the positive encouragement.  We need to keep our spirits up.

3. bonny1 profile image60
      bonny1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks mikeydoes for your positive words. I got pretty depressed reading all these comments. Especially since I just joined up 3 days ago. However, if things are as bad as everyone says it is, then this might be the time to set up a blog..........

7. LeeWalls profile image60
    LeeWallsposted 12 years ago

You better start learning a new language to make your Hubs more interesting if it goes to other countries, because honestly it seems pretty hopeless. I'm dedicating my time to working on my blogs and chapters of my other books.

Can someone explain what happened with Google and Panda; a lot of viewers are from other countries and I agree with Izzy, zilch views.

8. Richieb799 profile image76
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

My traffic has been down a little but still achieving about 1000 views a day..earnings are a bit better but nothing like last fall

9. Cheeky Girl profile image66
    Cheeky Girlposted 12 years ago

I wrote a few hubs about the Google update and who got hit, but since then, eHow - who initially were not affected - have now been hit. Traffic and views is down everywhere. I even know people who have websites who have no connection to hub pages or web content from a create point of view, and they have been hit. It really hit many people, and I would hate to be a person who's livelihood depends on something like that. It is obviously prudent to have more than one "source" of income from the internet. But using social media and other ways of increasing traffic could help, and if we haven't relied on it previously, now is the time to try it and become good at it.

We all have to clean up our act too in our own way and see if that lifts the tide and floats our boats or not. Time will tell. Or perhaps we will have to re-examine other ways of generating income from web content. If you keep doing the same thing and are failing, life is telling you to try something different.

I have personally bought three domains now, and rolling out my second one soon. There is some truth in the saying "the Lord helps those that help themselves..." Just my two cents worth.

1. IzzyM profile image86

That is interesting about ehow because everywhere I look I am seeing ehow pages dominating the search engines - not just Google.

But I have seen a lot of webmasters who initially gained from Panda have now lost more than their gains.

So who are the winners?

That was a very good 2 cents....thanks so much!

10. Rosie2010 profile image68
    Rosie2010posted 12 years ago

@ Cheeky Girl, thank you for your very helpful advice and I love the quote.  As I am pretty new here in Hubpages, my traffic has not been affected much (knocking on wood).  My earnings from Adsense this month is down but I'm also earning from HP Ads, and my combine earnings from Adsense and HP Ads have already surpassed my Adsense earnings in March by 25%.. which is not really much but it's still good.  There were a few days that my traffic was dismal this month, but have since recovered.  So I'll just keep on going.  I've also resuscitated my blogspot account as I had not paid attention to it since I started writing here in Hubpages.  Thanks again for your advice and there is truth to that saying. smile

@soni2006 - Wow! you are prolific! I'm sure those 50 hubs are a good addition to your hubs list.  Traffic could be down right now, but I trust when the dust settles, Hubpages will rise again and so will our hubs that are nowhere to be found right now in Google search.

Actually my new hubs are immediately found in google search just like before. For example I just wrote a hub by the title, "What is medical content proofreading" AND when I search for just "medical content proofreading" in google, I find my hub in the first page right at the 4th or 5th number so regarding indexing and everything related to SEO, search engines are still considering HP just like before but this is not my problem. I am actually worried about my best and hot hubs that were bringing the maximum traffic, they are all down showing Blue arrows. This is a matter of concern to me. I need to figure this out.

11. Mutiny92 profile image64
    Mutiny92posted 12 years ago

I think that Spring Break and Easter weekend play a factor here.  Wait another week for the holidays to be over and kids back in school.  I suspect that things will trend up a bit.

Let's hope for the best Mutiny.

One more thing I need to add, my google analytics account is clearly showing -15.95% from Mar 24 - Apr 23, 2011 comparing to Feb 21 - Mar 23 2011

I totally agree...Spring Break made an impact.

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
        paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I was clueless about Spring Break. Thanks. smile

12. mdlawyer profile image44

We can be hopeful that everything will come back to what it had had been before.

13. Richieb799 profile image76
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

I wouldn't worry about creating too many hubs, this can never be a bad thing..Creating more hubs and backlinking is helping me..my best hub last year was receiving 1500 views a day for months and now its a 1/3 of that

1. Rosie2010 profile image68
      Rosie2010posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wow!  I'm impressed!

14. sofs profile image77
    sofsposted 12 years ago

I truly hope things will improve... smile for all of us.

15. earner profile image81
    earnerposted 12 years ago

It's Easter weekend.
    It's a time the schools/colleges are closed down.
    It's the first time people in work/at school have had time off since Xmas, when it was dark and cold.

In the UK we're also having the hottest Easter weekend since 1949.

Many people will have been planning/researching/tweeting about this weekend and what they plan to do with it, where they'll go.

I bet it's fine in a week's time.

16. mdlawyer profile image44

Hopefully, so.

17. BobbiRant profile image59
    BobbiRantposted 12 years ago

It's unlikely things will improve.  Google is making money by catering to the big guys who pay them to be on top.  So people can hope all they wish. There is NO more level playing field on the Internet.  Google is trying for the monopoly they cried about Microsoft having a few years ago.  Google tipped the scales in Their favor now.  Big money=higher ranking.

18. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

Absolutely, totally miserable last week. Week before was better. This week is still a mystery. smile

19. mdlawyer profile image44

The Easter holidays might have its effect.

20. profile image0
    Marye Audetposted 12 years ago

Google panda-monium had a lot to do with it but after nearly 4 years on hubpages I have seen a pattern of traffic being high in OCT-NOV-DEC- slow in JAN... then pick up toward the end of JAN and for FEB until about the 15th.. then lower until MAY, with the exception of Easter related things... June is average....July picks up..August is better... Sept is rockin and then October kicks it up.

Obviously, Panda will have lowered the lows and highs..but my guess is that you can expect traffic to start picking up within the week.

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Interesting observations.  I bow to your vastly superior experience (I'm not yet a year old!) and I certainly hope you are correct.

2. Randy Godwin profile image59
      Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sounds about right, Marye.  smile

3. Rosie2010 profile image68
      Rosie2010posted 12 years agoin reply to this

@ Marye - Very impressive observation, Marye.  Very helpful too.  Thanks.

21. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 12 years ago

Hubpages has lost a lot of authority in the eyes of Google, it just means you will have to work a lot harder for that traffic.  Things will probably pick up, but it will take much longer than a few weeks.

At least Hubpages is doing away with the huge amount of duplicate content on here.

1. sofs profile image77
      sofsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I hope with all the hard work Hubpages finally does get back its former  place with Google.. I don't mind the hard work though smile

1. Andrew0208 profile image59
        Andrew0208posted 12 years agoin reply to this

One of my best performing hubs with an average of 2k views/day went low to 500+ since a week now. But this morning, there's a bit rising on traffic. I strongly believe that HubPages will soon recover from this panda cause we got quality content and rich platform. Google monopoly and bad shocks have really created enough room for people to lookout for alternatives, and even device similar better platform. It's a matter of time, they'll soon face the same hit and dance. lol

22. nancynurse profile image70
    nancynurseposted 12 years ago

I have seen that also and have found that maybe I need to tweak my title  a little . Try to be specific and give it some originality to bring in more readers/ I did this with several of my titles and saw my traffic go up considerably. Good Luck

23. mdlawyer profile image44

What Andrew said is correct. It is authors and content that are to rule the Net. It is only a matter of time and we are bound to win.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)