Why Do Evangelicals Ostracize People?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (32 posts)
  1. evanlaeys profile image60
    evanlaeysposted 14 years ago

I just posted a hub: "In Rebellion Against God" about being ostracized by an old friend who became an evangelical Christian. My question (that she won't answer since she isn't speaking to me) is: Why? Is there a verse in the Bible that tells her to do this?

1. LarasMama profile image60
      LarasMamaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Replying from a completely non religious (but raised in a strict christian home) outlook. Mixing with unbelievers can be considered bad because they are a worldly influence. Don't ask me to give you bible verses though...
      It's sad what religion does to some people.

2. h.a.borcich profile image60
      h.a.borcichposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Maybe the religion has nothing to do with it and is only coincidental. Maybe she is upset about something else and just isn't able to deal with it at this time. Or maybe she is going through something else that she considers embarrassing, like bankruptcy. I am not aware of christian teachings telling people to drop their friends. Are you assuming the religion is the cause for the fall out?

1. profile image0
        SirDentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Her hub spells it out pretty plainly. I wonder if she is self promoting on purpose or if she doesn't really know what she did.

1. h.a.borcich profile image60
          h.a.borcichposted 14 years agoin reply to this

ah, I did not read the hub smile Just responded to the thread. Hope all is well with you Dent!

1. profile image0
            SirDentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

All is well for sure. Baseball season is underway and the NBA playoffs are likewise underway.

2. evanlaeys profile image60
        evanlaeysposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, if you read Kate's note, you'll see that it is definitely a religious reason.

3. Apostle Jack profile image60
      Apostle Jackposted 14 years agoin reply to this

In answer to your question read 2 cor.6v14-17
      Be not enequally yoke together with unbelivers.

It's the same as oil and water...they do not mix.
      Have you thought about joining your friend?

No, I would never join a church that professes to be "the only way." This kind of theology is responsible for many of the wars and violence that have taken place in the world throughout history.

4. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

they do it because they think there is only one right way to believe. for people who preach love, acceptance, they are very intolerant.

anyone can make the bible say whatever they want it to mean.

find a friend who will accept you as you are (which is exactly what they preach) hmm  makes no sense to me.

5. Beelzedad profile image58
      Beelzedadposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Your friend knows you'll be roasting for an eternity over open flames by a god whom she loves, obeys and has taught her you are evil and blasphemous. Nuff said. smile

6. Hokey profile image61
      Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

They have to make you feel like you have a problem so people dont see that they are nuts!

7. getitrite profile image72
      getitriteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I can understand that differing positions on life's issues can forge wedges between friends, but when the issue is based on nonexistent, and totally unprovable nonsense, it is shocking.

2. Origin profile image60
    Originposted 14 years ago

I remember reading about that before about half a year ago. That some religious organizations don't believe that believers should mix with non-believers. I remember getting a vibe of that they didn't want to contaminate their religious group by fellow church goers being around people who were not religious or people of another religion, also people who were of the same religion but followed it differently.

I guess some religious groups have very strict rules about that type of thing, I don't really find that fortunate or unfortunate, because I believe in the "freedom of religion" idealogy, even if that means that they must exercise rules like that.

1. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

you would find it unfortunate if you were the ostricized person. Most of my family and everyone I ever knew growing up no longer speak to me, or acknowledge my existence.

http://bible.cc/2_thessalonians/3-6.htm

3. Jerami profile image57
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

I am not so informed as to what being celebrant means.
    Yea; looked it up. Didn't find a good definition.
       Is this something like a Justise of the Peace who performs weddings or is it  deliberately denouncing Gods place in the ceramony?

1. Origin profile image60
      Originposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You have have judges do it from what I remember.

1. Jerami profile image57
        Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I see nothing wrong with being married by a Judge.
        I was married by a judge that said "and what God has joind together ............."
            Someone that .. "professes to be a believer" ..  shouldn't intentionally and forcefully leave God out of the ceramony.
        At least in my opinion.
           Other wise I see nothing wrong with it. But that is just me.

2. evanlaeys profile image60

You can learn more about celebrancy on my hub, "Ceremonies for Life." A celebrant would NEVER denounce God! Most celebrants believe in God, but write ceremonies that fit the client's beliefs. Some ceremonies include prayers and blessings, and some do not. Many are interfaith or multicultural ceremonies.

I try to be very careful when I speak of issues such as this one; cause the easiest thing to do in this world is to be hypicritical. We all fall into this trap at some time.

Professing Christians sometimes unknowingly start worshiping their faith more that the object of our faith. This may be the second easiest thing in the world to do.

I think that sometimes we have to be the victom of these acts before we can see that we have been guilty of doing this ourselves.

In short...  two people does not have to be married within a Church or by a minister in order for it to be Holy ceramony.
        To say otherwise would be Church worship.                  Your friend should be make to understand this

4. Origin profile image60
    Originposted 14 years ago

I don't have any problems with -any- method of being married, being it religious, non-religious, or whatever. I think it's between the 2 people being married that makes it sacred, so whatever method they wish, more power to them!

That is basicly what I am saying.
        I can see a bit of conflict not in the ceramony itself but in the person   "Professing to be....  and yet adamently denying...?"    I recognize common law marrages to be legadimate when a commitment has been made between two people and in the case of a professing Christian .. "and God is their witness"

5. livelonger profile image87
    livelongerposted 14 years ago

I'm sorry that you lost a friend. But her note alone and her strict dogma suggest she could never be a true friend, anyway.

True . . . but she really WAS a true friend for 33 years. Somehow she changed, and then accused me of being the one who had changed! Yes, I have other good friends who will never betray me, but I mourn for the one that's lost, just as the Good Shepherd mourned his one lost sheep!

1. livelonger profile image87
        livelongerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wow, I had no idea it was that long! That must be especially heartbreaking. Mourning is the right word here.

But, I'm sorry I wasn't clearer. I meant that she was no longer a true friend, even if she had been before. Unless she wakes up from her heavy religious indoctrination, I suspect she's no longer the person you befriended years ago.

2. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

True friends tell you the Truth.   And the Truth is that being born-again gives a person the insight to test the spirits.   There's no fellowship between darkness and Light.

I've had to do a similar thing before, cut ties with "friends" who used me for their "token Christian" until the time came when it was politically-correct to bash the name of Christ.   Like your friend, I should've cut ties sooner.

I'm not sure what all a "celebrant" is, but IF it's secular as it seems to be, and IF that woman Diana whatever is the same psychic I googled,  then it's not your friend who's the "lost sheep", but it's you who's lost.

When/if you go back to your first Love (Christ Jesus),  IF you ever WERE there,  then I'm sure your friend will still be there for fellowship and strength for you!   And I'm sure, as a born-again child of God, that she's praying for you often.

I never bash the name of Christ who is still my guiding Light, my way-shower, and the best example of unconditional Love the world has ever seen.

1. profile image0

I didn't say you were bashing Him.
            My view, from the hub's information and your posts, is that you're not following Him, because He is not the god of the psychics/magicians;  He is the God who commands us to Love and follow Jesus.
            It's very easy to get drawn into the world of sorcery and astray from the Cross,  especially when the modern world succeeds in "mainstreaming" its way into Christian circles.  One way "they" do that is to leave out the Judgement/wrath of God while trying to keep the unconditional Love.

Your friend took the harder path, but the right one.

I can't imagine why you would think I'm following the way of the "psychics and magicians." I do love and follow the way of Jesus - which is the way of love, forgiveness (70 x 7!), grace and mercy.

I may be wrong but it seems that some people believe that marriages are not legit unless they are performed by a Church minister in a Church???  It this the issue???

6. luvpassion profile image62
    luvpassionposted 14 years ago

Good...the search for truth is never ending. Be mindful of those that say "This is the truth."

1. profile image0

Hi Teri.

I bet you meant your reply to be to evanlaeys....

I'll leave you two to your communication,  as my own Faith is separate from that.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)