Does science tell stories?

Jump to Last Post 51-55 of 55 discussions (489 posts)
  1. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

Is science not facts?  I don't understand sorry given we are asked if it tells stories?  Sorry just really confused

1. profile image0
      pburgerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Welcome back kimberlyslyrics

Have you not heard of 'faction'? That is, non-fiction stories; that is a narrative account of 'factual' events.

Can I quote at length from Jerome Bruner's article in Critical Inquiry 'The narrative construction of reality'
      'the human mind cannot express its nascent powers without the enablement of the symbolic systems of culture' While many of these system are relatively independent in a given culture - the skills of shamanism, of specialized trades, and the like - some relate to domains of skill that must be shared by virtually all members of of a culture...' (p. 20)

In discussing narrative accrual Bruner says 'How do we cobble stories together to make them into a whole of some sort? Sciences achieve their accrual by derivation from general principals, by relating particular findings to central paradigms, buy couching empirical findings in a form that makes them subsumable under altering paradigms, and by countless other procedures for making science, as the saying goes, cumulative"' (p. 18).

I also draw on articles such as James West's Art as Cognition in Russian neo-Kantianism, published in the Studies in East European Thought vol 47 No. 3/4 1995.

It is not to the mysticism of the Neo-Kantians that I allude, but to the implications of West's words that 'By contrast [to Russian mysticism] Western European thought in modern times reflects "the battle of reason against sensations and the will," which is clearly a failing, since "the ideal of philosophy consists in the reconciliation of reason ,sensation and will , - of science, art, and religion." (p. 218)

So, I know of numerous philosophers and scientists and theologians who hold good arguments about the limits of empirical and inductive science.

2. Evan G Rogers profile image60
    Evan G Rogersposted 13 years ago

I've been accused of being insulting on this forum, so these'll be my last posts on it.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor … =126510251

This is an excellent display of the scientific process when delving into the unknown (as science usually does). It discusses the famous "Wow! Signal", and discusses (at least briefly) the idea of jumping to conclusions and how, after millions of people searched for an explanation, there simply is no good answer.

Then (not discussed in the article, but implied by it) people are left to their own devices to believe what they will - and until someone can provide a substantial amount of undeniable evidence, the story will be just that - a story. Not science.

Science can't answer this one definitively yet.

Did science tell the story? no, of course not, that's impossible.

Did the millions of people reading it develop a story based off the incomplete information? Yes - bozos do that. I'm one of these bozos. I would love to see aliens teaching us the mysteries of life, or vice versa. But that's just a story I invent based off of incomplete data that needs to be independently verified.

3. ceciliabeltran profile image64
    ceciliabeltranposted 13 years ago

This just goes to show that after a great animal has died, the cadaver of that animal becomes a means for lower forms of life to extend their life as well.

1. profile image0

ceciliabeltran

Somehow you load the word 'This' with great significance. However, because you simply intend to hurl mud, you fail to make your point. Instead, you make an argument ad hominem. And while you produce a tight poetic symbolism, the potency lacks venom for the subject of the symbol is without focus or clarity.

If you have something to refute my posts, then express your argument in language that does not convey your disdain and obvious desire to insult someone who you cannot badger into submission.

If your precious scientific method has such efficacy then use it to make your argument.

1. ceciliabeltran profile image64
        ceciliabeltranposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Your question is a great animal that died. It has lived through its entire lifespan and produced children. It died quite naturally as all threads do. After it died, lower life forms still eat the remains of the thread. It is not going to get any bigger nor will it grow into a complex life form, but it will feed on the remains of a great animal. That's what lower life forms do. They feed on the great cadavers of beautiful creatures.

other than that, I have no idea what else there is to say.

1. profile image0

ceciliabeltran

Shame-faced I sincerely apologize for misconstruing your post.

I thought 'This' referred to my reply to (Q) sad oops!

With your clarification in mind, I agree that lower life forms feed on the remains. Please accept my apology. I stand corrected.

BTW - on first reading your post, I thought what a wonderful image and how appropriate, if only the image were directed in the opposite direction. Now that you explain your intent, I thank you for the poetics.

Again, I am sorry sad

1. profile image55
            (Q)posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Woo-woos of the world unite. smile

1. profile image0

(Q)

Sticks and stones may break my bones
              But names? Sheez! They'll never hurt me... roll

My apology to cecilabeltran shows 1) I heed what people say, and 2) I will change my mind. On the other hand, your feeble attempt to insult me shows that you cannot reconsider your position, and that you resent any agreement between people who hold an opinion contrary to yours.

If an apology makes me a woo woo, then your aggression and lack of reason make you a neo-fascist. And I know what label I prefer.

In all your posts in this forum, you put no argument to counter the consensus that science tells stories. smile

Ceta iko sona levu!

1. profile image55
                (Q)posted 13 years agoin reply to this

The Woo-woo will always put forth untenable assertions that require no debate whatsoever.

It's like asking how Santa Claus manages to get to every household in the world in one night. smile

1. profile image0

(Q)

By thy own definition thou art the greatest woo-woo in this forum for thou hast done nothing but '...put forth untenable assertions that [thoust claims] require no debate...' :LOL:

Oh great woo-woo and magnificent sona-levu will ye ever reply on-topic? Or will thy assertions remain ungrounded without reason and argument? smile

Must ye o haughty fascist woo-woo decry everything that thou canst comprehend and shout from the roof-tops thy irrational faith in the story-less mode of telling science?

In this forum ye may write the last post, o fascist woo-woo, but ye shall rest in misery for ye have done naught to quell the question 'Does science tell stories?'

Ceta iko, o grand pooh bar of the fascist woo-woo tribe!

4. ceciliabeltran profile image64
    ceciliabeltranposted 13 years ago

"If your precious scientific method has such efficacy then use it to make your argument."

pburger, i can employ any method you want. But this thread has reached the end of its life. In my opinion. I agreed with you, others didn't. the end.

1. profile image0

ceciliabeltran

In light of my understanding your intention, please ignore my post in which I said 'If your precious scientific method has such efficacy then use it to make your argument'.

I apologize that I did not read you well sad. Perhaps this is an example that language can never be truly objective?

Is there some way to close a forum. To acknowledge the death, some passage of last rites, a way to bury the cadaver so it doesn't attract scavengers? smile If you know what I mean? :LOL:

5. uncorrectedvision profile image61
    uncorrectedvisionposted 13 years ago

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)