Momentos of Ex wife

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)
  1. profile image53
    lagirl13dposted 13 years ago

I'm looking for advice on how to deal with my husband's emotional tie to his pictures and keepsakes from his first marriage of 13 years.  He can't seem to part with a couple of boxes of momentos that he has stored at his parents, but now must bring them to our house.  I don't understand his need for the momentos, they are not on speaking terms and have not been since before he and I got together almost 9 years ago.  He cries when he sees pictures of them together. I've walked in on him going through a photo album and crying twice.
    My sister says she would have never dated a guy who couldn't get over his ex.  I'm looking for other second wife's opinions.

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

my spouse was married once before.  of course he had memories of his life and I did not ask him to let them go - it's part of life.  gradually he gave certain pics to my stepkids as they became adults.  photos of the kids were kept of course.  I never interferred with how he would handle those items - never felt it was up to me.  However I would have had a difficult time if he cried over seeing pics of the ex.  And my marriage probably wouldn't have lasted 22 years if that were the case.  Crying over children and what was lost is another matter.  Now, I'm faced with that same situation in the future - 22 years of my life that I don't plan tossing in the garbage or hiding away.  I'll probably pass them on to my stepkids later but not now.  just my thoughts.

2. goldenpath profile image67
    goldenpathposted 13 years ago

Sorry, I'm not an ex-wife.  I am, however, a devout husband and father.  This obstacle must make you feel "second best" and hardly first and foremost in your husband's life.  We have but one mortality here.  We can either spend it productively and happy or in a state of misery.  Everyone deserves the first - including you.  I'm sure you love your husband, but he must be confronted with how this is making you feel.  He must learn to cut the cord to his past marriage.  He should be happy in starting "anew" in the current marriage.  Even though it's been nine years it's never too late to change things for the better.  Asure him that you are willing to forgive how this has made you feel over the years IF he is willing to discard or be rid of the damaging momentos forever.  Anyone who would respect and sympathize how actions like this are affecting their spouse would gladly sacrifice the vice of the past in order to ensure the happiness of the future of both of you. 

I would never advocate divorce.  However, if he is absolutely unmoveable in clinging to the past then that possibility must remain open for the sake of your happiness and sanity.

Definitely seek marriage counseling.  I have just completed instructing yet another course last evening and I promise you that it is worth it.  Happiness and oneness can be achieved as long as you are both pursuing a common course of love and prosperity in your journey of life.

Good luck to both of you!  If you are religious I would highly advocate regular personal prayer and prayer with your spouse as well.  This will help align your spirits to an attitude of common learning. smile

3. Lynda Gary profile image60
    Lynda Garyposted 13 years ago

Did he and his ex have children?
    Are there children in the pictures?

I can't let go of various keepsakes from my marriage either, though I let go of my ex-husband a long time ago.

Letting go of a PERSON is different than missing / remembering a lot of good things from a previous life. Life, not relationship.  There IS a difference.

I agree that there needs to be a conversation between you and your husband.  Listen to him with an open mind.  Don't read between the lines.  If he says he does not miss his ex, etc., but that the tears are about the kids or something like that, you have nothing to be jealous of.

Don't YOU have good memories from your life before him? 

It all depends in this situation, and I don't think we have enough info to go on frankly.

1. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Lynda's response is what I thought - whether or not there are children.   I know, as a divorced person, if I think of some of the things my children have gone through, I do feel really bad.  (I don't cry at this point, but maybe, if his kids have gone through worse than mine have - or if his idea of what he couldn't give his kids is more than he can deal with - that could explain the crying.)

I have saved all kinds of "souvenirs"/"memories" from old boyfriends, though, and I wouldn't appreciate someone expecting me to get rid of them.  I've never left that stuff out and around the house for "the world" to see, but it's all tucked away in boxes; and I'm not getting rid of it - no matter how little those relationships may have meant to me.  Those things are just a part of our lives, and sometimes (no matter who or what was in our life, we don't want to feel like we need to pretend that part of our life never existed).

I have my wedding pictures and diamond, and my ex-husband and I are friends - but, really, wanting to keep the pictures (for my kids, but also because it was a big day in my life, and the pictures a positive reminder of an otherwise negative situation) has nothing to do with not being over the relationship.

Sometimes, when you're secure in the knowledge you're well over something, you're also secure enough to save the reminders of the good parts of your past (rather than being feeling like you have to block it all out, destroy all memories, and "prove" you're over it).   smile  (Heck, I have a scrapbook of get-well cards and other little gifts people gave me when I had a big car accident.  It's not the accident I want to remember, but all the nice cards, notes, and little gifts.  I've got cards and a few things from a pregnancy I had that ended in miscarriage, for the same reasons.  These were big events in my life, tell the story, and maybe interesting for my kids if/when they ever discover them.  (Just kind of keeping "sharing history" .  I wish my parents had saved more stuff from their own.)

4. PackSecure profile image60
    PackSecureposted 13 years ago

You should sit down with him and have a heart to heart and find out exactly what is making him cry.

How much time between his divorce and him meeting you was there?  I am not saying you were a rebound, but perhaps that could be part of it.  Maybe he was not ready to move forward at that point, but did anyways.  This is only speculation, as only the two of you can know for sure.

Good luck.

5. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 13 years ago

I think that would make me feel bad too, like goldenpath said, 'second best'. He obviously has maintained some sort of emotional attachment to her. It he a really emotional guy? 

My hubby still does things for his first wife but I'm not bothered by it. But he doesn't gaze at her picture and cry, though we have pics of her around with the kids. They aren't displayed, though I wouldn't have a problem with it.  (She's very mentally ill in a residential home with a very immature mind).

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)