Anyone Try WEN hair products?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (47 posts)
  1. profile image0
    jenuboukaposted 12 years ago

I keep seeing the infomercials for WEN hair products that claim not to contain sulfates.  I have heard mixed reviews about the hair system.  Some say it leaves their hair feeling greasy while others swear by it.  I though about ordering it although they want to keep resending the stuff every thirty days and deduct your account.  Anyone ever tried the stuff?  Is it worth it?

1. Kyla Gordon profile image58
      Kyla Gordonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

the reason it is greasy because...(if you listen to the informercials) it says conditioner not shampoo, you shouldn't use conditioner without shampoo!

2. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

IT is not worth the hype.  I have the initial package that they send and I was not impressed. It does leave a greasy feeling to the hair. I do like the hair treatment product, but wouldn't continue paying the bucks for one product. I personally think it's a rip off.

1. profile image0
      jenuboukaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Dang, that is the ongoing reputation of the product.  I got to stop watching the darn infomercials.  Just trying to find a sulfate free all natural product for my hair, I will have keep looking, Thanks so much rebekahELLE!

1. Winter Maclen profile image61
        Winter Maclenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Loreal makes a sulfate free sold in drug stores.  I never tried it but at least it isn't too costly if you don't like it

1. profile image0

I saw that and when I look on the back there was a sulfate ingredient in the label, as well as in the conditioner.  Why the heck do we need sulfate in our  hair care?   Is it for the over excess of oil?  I think I will give that a try, Thanks!

2. rebekahELLE profile image86
        rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't usually watch infomercials, but for whatever reason, I saw that one, and it hooked me. I should have known better.

If you wash your hair every 2 to 3 days, which is recommended, using these shampoos can be disappointing. You may have to experiment with drugstore brands and see what works best. I found this link with reviews, but you may want to keep searching for more reviews. http://www.spryliving.com/articles/sulf … oo-review/  I think they also will have different results according to hair type.

1. profile image0

Thanks!  I did check out some reviews and there are mixed feelings for sure.  I have very, very long blonde fine hair so I was hoping for something that would keep it strong as well as natural.  It gets very tangled, so I was a bit skeptical about the shampoo/conditioner in one thing.  Think I will go back to Aveda, expensive, but at least I can pronounce the ingredients.

1. rebekahELLE profile image86
            rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've never tried Aveda, but have heard it's a fine product.  Another brand you may try is Tigi. Catwalk has a good shampoo for fine hair. This brand can be found at fine drug stores, even grocery stores, beauty salons, Amazon..
            A sulfate free line that is getting good reviews is Sfree. I may give it a try. My hair is also fine, blonde and a little past shoulder length. I think sometimes breakage may also occur from hard water. I now use the John Freida products, Hair Repair. I like it a lot.

@somethgblue, there is a writer here at HP that may have some hubs about best shampoos for itchy scalp.  I know she is in the hair business.  Her name is Helen Cater.

1. profile image0

Oh cool to know about Tigi, saw it in stores and wondered.  I am that kind of gal who will read every label of every brand, I notice they all have the same ingredients but way different prices.  I totally forgot about John Freida, those are awesome products.  Forgot about the hard water effects, all the more important to find a better product.  Have noticed a lot of breakage this winter on my hair, trying to resolve the matter before summer hits, then the real bleaching out begins with the sun hitting my head.  Thanks so much rebekah.

3. somethgblue profile image73
    somethgblueposted 12 years ago

Are we supposed to wash our hair, I wish some one would have told me, here I am pushing fifty and no one ever told me that . . . no wonder people are always making comments about my hair?

1. profile image0

Lol, now that is funny somethgblue.....

4. somethgblue profile image73
    somethgblueposted 12 years ago

Sorry couldn't resist, on a serious note what is the best shampoo treatment for an itchy scalp. My cubicle at work is right below forced air heat and is driving me nuts, but is better than no cubicle at all.

1. profile image0

Selsun Blue...The spelling maybe wrong but it can be found at a drug store.  It works great, used to have to use it for when the winter were horribly dry and I worked in a crappy environment with bad air flow.

5. europewalker profile image78
    europewalkerposted 12 years ago

I was also reeled in by this infomercial. Product left my hair flat and greasy. I returned product and got my money back.

1. profile image0

That has been what a lot of reviews are saying....So perhaps the sulfate may be the ingredient that activates hair to be clean.  Great.  Screw I am about to make my own at this point.....Thank you and at least you got your money back.

6. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 12 years ago

Thank you for all of the information.  I think it's time for me to switch shampoos or at least try something new.  I have long, black hair going slightly gray, and it has grown past my waist.  It is also fine, and I'm tired of the tangles.  I'm done with the hair dye, though.  It's such a waste of money.

1. profile image0

Yes, Arlene I can so agree, mine is that long and I get sick of the tangles.  Why is it so hard to find  a product that is natural?  If you look at the back of the labels they all read the same? One is 1.09 while the other is19.95 yet they say the same thing.  Drives me nuts.

1. Lisa HW profile image61
        Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sulfate helps the shampoo lather be foamy, and it's said to remove "grease" (which is kind of odd because most of hair doesn't have grease in it unless someone puts it in it - but whatever.  I'd think oil (which people do have) should be the main issue, but I'd think doing a good job of washing hair with anything (and hot water) would get rid of oil. 

Of course, detergent (sulfate-type) shampoos strip the hair of oil, which means then needing a conditioner (grease, as far as I'm concerned) because there's no oil left - which brings you back to needing the foamy sulfate shampoo to get rid of the grease (and yet have condition in that sulfate shampoo, which adds grease that isn't going to come out because the shampoo has no foam to it).   big_smile   To me, the idea of a sulfate-free shampoo with build-in conditioner doesn't make sense.

I'd think a sulfate-free shampoo without any conditioner would be the best thing (and then use conditioner separately if/when needed).

Of course, I've been cursed with a particularly bad kind of hair that makes the chances of EVER having a good hair day pretty slim (at least if I ever plan to move or leave the house); so I just keep using the 99-cent, detergent, shampoo and be grateful the hair doesn't fall out completely.  Best I can say for my hair type is, "it's better than nothing".   hmm   (It's in the process of starting to turn gray, but I'm about to leave my 50's soon, so I guess I can assume if the sulfate issue were limited only to the one about follicle damage; maybe that part of the "hazards issue" may have been over-blown. )  (My father had the same hair as I, and I never knew him with anything but "silver" hair - so later graying isn't genetic as far as I can guess.)

1. profile image0

Wow, Lisa,
          All I can say is awesome.  It just doesn't make any real sense, except on a marketing level, but what the hell do these guys wash with? This soft and supple results I see on the t.v. does not match up to what my hair does.  More like flat, stringy, keep-it-long-tie-it-in-a-nun-bun, lifeless tangled rat's nest.  This WEN product seemed to good to be true, and as I see it was.

I've always just assumed that other people have "regular" hair, and that my sister and I (who have been commiserating about not getting our mother's head of thick, wavy, dark, hair for most of our lives) have always just figured nothing that "applies" to "normal people's hair" applies to us.   roll    (I'm sure other people have it, but nobody else that I know (except for my sister) has such a horrible case of it).  If I put any conditioner in it it will weigh it down  and make it flat.  (Apparently, weighing hair down is some people's idea of body - but who knows...   what works for some people doesn't work for other people.)

I one time bought Infusium, thinking whatever was sad in the ads might help with my "horror hair".  The second I had it in the hair I felt like I couldn't get it out fast enough, because it felt so heavy I felt like I had a hat on.   lol    I wrote the company, pointing out that people with super fine, lightweight, hair were overlooked by shampoo manufacturers.  They sent me a coupon for some more Infusium.  ("Gee, thanks.  Just what I wanted - another bottle of hat-shampoo.   lol  )  (I sure would have hated to pay $30 for that one (but then again, some companies - WEN maybe? - will give you a refund if you hate the stuff.)

Tresemme Naturals has lower sulfate.  I wonder if that might be better than out-and-out sulfates...

1. profile image0

Tresemme is a great product for it's price and size, I use that from time to time.  Some "experts" say to switch up your shampoo brands, to help your hair's manageability.   
              I have the same type of hair as you, I have tried voluminous hair products and a bail of hair looked better....My only other option is finger in out let for some body.  Tried a body wave....The lady gave me a poodle perm...Sounds like I am about to invent some kind of hair product that will work. 
              That or try to make a new fashion trend with "bad hair"

I think it may be hopeless for some of us (hence, my willingness to risk my brain health with some sulfates).  lol   I got a body perm years ago.   yikes  yikes Honestly, it turned my light brown hair yellow, curly, hay - not blond, but flat yellow.   lol    I looked like Annie (as in "sun'll come out tomorrow"  Annie lol ) - only I looked like an old Annie with hay-colored curls instead of a read-haired, kid- Annie.   lol  AND, the thing was that the perm lasted and lasted and lasted.   lol  NEVER again!!!!  Grown women aren't supposed to look like ovegrown and old "Annies". lol

7. Gloshei profile image60
    Glosheiposted 12 years ago

I had to join the thread on this, I used to use Head & Shoulders but found it left a thick residue in my hair. After a while it looked lifeless.
    Pantene is good but what I always do is after my final rinse with conditioner I use 2tsp of vinegar in warm water, pour it over your hair and leave just for a couple of minutes and rinse of.
    You don't smell the vinegar but it does give a lovely shine to hair, also it will help with that itchy scalp.

1. profile image0

That is some awesome advise!! Will have to give it a try for sure!

8. profile image0
    jenuboukaposted 12 years ago

Okay, with starting this thread, I did try that new product claiming using no sulfates in their product..Loreal.

It was on sale, and just as any other commercial product, it had about a dozen different kinds of solutions for a hair type....

Tried it last night. I saw no significant difference of improvement, as it claims in it's ads.  While I only wash my hair 3x a week, I suppose I will give it a week to see if there is any real evidence that it really it different.

And if not, well then, I am shaving my head...

9. Gloshei profile image60
    Glosheiposted 12 years ago

Jen I just read your reply, is it possible you are over washing your hair, therefore therefore washing all the natural out.  Also let it dry naturaly at least once a week this will help it from drying out too much.
    Try to look for a shampoo to replace those oils, try coconut oil the link below may help:
    http://www.healthy-oil-planet.com/cocon … -hair.html
    good luck

1. profile image0

I usually wash and condition my hair three times a week, and maybe twice a month I will use a hair dryer.  My hair is fine, so the build tends to show.  It will also bleach out during the summer, and in the winter I will touch the roots to keep it the same color.
      The link is awesome!! Thank you, Thank you.  I am on the hunt for a natural remedy for hair products..It is aggravating to spend excess money on products that do the same thing, and contain practically the same ingredients.
      You should "hub" this.....

1. Gloshei profile image60
        Glosheiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'll think about it, not sure where to start though.
        Maybe.

10. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

Respectfully (and as anyone can see from above, I'm not the one to tell anyone how to have great hair  roll), but I don't believe that thing about washing all the natural oils out.  I've been a daily hair-washer (lather twice, skip a day here or there, but not regularly, if I'm not going anywhere or doing anything).  In spite of it being the freakish challenge that fine, straight, hair can be; it's pretty healthy - not oily, not dry.

Not long ago I saw someone on TV who said that if people put their face moisturizer over their eyebrows the eyebrows won't grow.  The example-woman had absolutely no eyebrows and had to draw them in.  I can't help but wonder if loading down the scalp with heavy products may do something like inhibit growth too.  (Of course, maybe you have to hair that's fine enough for the product to seep down onto the scalp to develop any problems that might develop from something like "suffocating" the scalp or follicles.)    (Of course, this "thought on the matter" comes from someone with a lot of bad hair days, so maybe I'm just clueless about hair..     smile  )

1. profile image0

I open to all suggestions for I am at the end of my rope.  The main reason I don't wash daily is the fact that it is a hassle to comb, especially when it is wet.  I pull it back anyway so who is going to know if I washed that day, well now a few may know..smile
      I have heard that using hair products for horses is great, er the companies that slap the "horse mane" like desires. 
      I don't even know what a good hair day even entails...Well besides the well to do being able to afford someone tussling with their hair.  I especially laugh at all the "easy" advise they give to create a great style, as far as I am aware, I only have two hands guys, and my joints do not bend that way. That and I have the attention span of a three year old, so I end up having only one side of my hair curled......

11. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 12 years ago

Wen is an old fashioned name for a tumor (non cancerous but ugly). I couldn't get past that, somehow.

12. donotfear profile image83
    donotfearposted 12 years ago

It sounds like if you have fine limp hair, do NOT use this product. I saw the commercial last night, but when I saw what it contained, I said "no way".  My hair is thin and limp and I don't need anything weighing it down.

1. profile image0

Thanks, that is great advise.  Very true.  With the tumor reference I continue my hair product search.

13. elayne001 profile image78
    elayne001posted 12 years ago

I have used wen and return to it when my hair looks very dry. I do not use it all the time. I find that I have to alternate shampoos and conditioners, otherwise they build up. I have quite a bit of curl but my hair is fine and frizzes easily. Humidity kills my hairdo, so that is the biggest challenge. Wen kind of controls that. As far as eyebrows go, I saw my dermatologist because my right eyebrow is much thinner than the left and I have to pencil it in. She said that thyroid disorders can be a cause of losing eyebrows. Also, over plucking. She gave me a prescription for latrisse for my eyelashes, since they were also thinning. I used a bit of it on the empty parts of my eyebrows, and saw some improvement (although it is not recommended). I was on the auto shipment of wen, but discontinued when I had enough for about a year. I do like the product, but it is not for use all the time, for me.

1. profile image0

I can definitely see how the product would work for frizzy hair, and particularly in between washes of other brands, I also did wonder about the latrisse product, I am not thinning there....Yet.
      Curiosity of those infomercials are killing me, they make it look like heaven

14. profile image52
    glibnixposted 12 years ago

my wife swears by their products!  Her hair is very dry, though, so this is a consideration when deciding to try / not try.  From the WEN FAQ page:  "Wen is risk free for 60 days..."

15. Simply Natural profile image60
    Simply Naturalposted 12 years ago

I never used the Wen product before. When I was about to buy the product a friend of mine who has used Wen told me that it works well but at Sally's as an alternative called Hair One. So I took my frugal self right over to Sally's and and tried it and love it. Its a staple in my hair regimen now.

1. profile image0

Never heard of that but I will definitely check it out!  I think I might have a Sally's here in my woods.  Is it a beauty/ public salon store?

1. Simply Natural profile image60
        Simply Naturalposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, its like a beauty supply for all hair types and textures, I think you should and will be happy you did!

16. Winter Maclen profile image61
    Winter Maclenposted 12 years ago

I ran across the Loreal product that is cleaning cream, at CVS drugstore.  It was relatively cheap so I tried it.  I have fine hair and stuff like this usually weighs my hair down, but with so sulfates it was worth a shot.  It works great.  It doesn't weigh the hair down, but it also feels clean.  I alternate with a regular shampoos once or twice a week, just to eliminate product build up, but this seems to be a good, reasonably priced product.  Not the Loreal Sulfate free shampoo, but the cleaning conditioner.

1. profile image0

Thanks Winter,
      I got the shampoo but did wonder about the cleaning conditioner. It seems like the "wen" alternative.  Will have to check it out!

17. heaneyl profile image60
    heaneylposted 10 years ago

I tried WEN several years ago and liked how it worked, but I had to use way too much product. Ultimately, it wasn't cost efficient. I did find an alternative, which I like very much and have been using regularly: L'OREAL EverCreme Cleansing Conditioner.

18. hardwarechick profile image40
    hardwarechickposted 10 years ago

Wow I'm glad I saw this! The infomercials definitely had me convinced as well - doesn't seem like it's worth the investment. The sulfate free products I've bought in the past (like Loreal) made my hair feel strange. Maybe it's because our hair has gotten so used to the usual chemicals?

19. Zelkiiro profile image88
    Zelkiiroposted 10 years ago

Why would I spend top-dollar on shampoo when the cheap stuff at the Dollar Store does the job perfectly fine?

20. donotfear profile image83
    donotfearposted 10 years ago

I started using the product and I love it.  It makes my hair more manageable to style and less hair falls out when I wash it.

If you buy it on Ebay, it's cheaper.

21. profile image58
    Belloavenueposted 10 years ago

I never use the wen product but I heard a lot about this product,so I want to use it in future.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)