- Games, Toys, and Hobbies
Old Vintage LIFE Magazines - 1959 - Humphrey - Khrushchev - Castro
Vintage LIFE Magazines - America's Mirror
This old original January 12, 1959
issue of LIFE magazine is a vintage example of what America was thinking about that week - the
top news stories, important social issues of the time, and what were the important world events. Filled with full-page and full-color vintage ads and vivid photo essays, this issue of LIFE
magazine gave Americans a window on the world beyond their front yard.
Considered by many an American icon, LIFE magazine exemplifies America's state of affairs, and American's interests. No amount of Internet research can duplicate the feeling of holding a piece of American history in your hands.
January 12, 1959 Vintage Original LIFE Magazine
Front Cover: Senator Hubert Humphrey in Minnesota Snow - *inside front cover: full-color A&P Food Stores 100th anniversary ad
- Front Cover Headlines: Eight Hours with Khrushchev by Hubert Humphrey, New Era for the House of Morgan
Rear Cover: Lucky Strike cigarette ad - *inside rear cover: Old Grand Dad Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
- Senator Hubert Humphrey spends eight hours talking to Mikita Khrushchev - his threats, jokes, and criticisms of China's communes
- Pros + Peru = Davis Cup for U.S. - Some unorthodox help produces a tennis upset
- The New Master of Cuba - Fidel Castro - a young die-hard idealist. Five years ago he started with a few score of followers as he began his revolution, nobody gave him a chance to win. Now he has overthrown a powerful dictatorship. What's in-store for Cuba now.
- J.P. Morgan has amassed an immense treasure of wealth, He has built the House of Morgan into an institution so powerful it seems impervious to change. But change that has cut into the bank over the years has now reached the great man himself Soon it may become the Morgan Guaranty Trust
- A 2800 year-old golden bowl is found in Iran - a soldier's skeleton tells the story of what he did to protect it from a holocaust
- Another of Man's Great Thrusts - Russia rockets to the moon
Table of Contents:
- Editorial: A major economic advance
- Photographic Essays: The Secrets of a Golden Bowl - one of the most important of modern archaeological finds reveals an ancient and unknown culture in Iran, plus: The New Era of J.P> Morgan
- Religion: Twenty-three new Catholic Cardinals are elevated
- Music: Temperamental Maria Callas wows Paris
- Movies: Ingrid Bergman portrays a missionary in "The Inn of the Sixth happiness"
- Military Affairs: Air Force uses footprints for identification
- Fashion: Show-Off shirt sleeves for girls
- Party: New setting for a debutante: Texas girl appears in chorus line of an unusual event
Tons of Vintage Ads for Collectors
One of LIFE magazine's major features was its collection of
advertisements, many full-page full-color ads from iconic brands of the
time. Many subscribers scanned for the ads as much as for the other photo and text
A representation of some of the ads in LIFE magazine issues might include:
Vintage ads: Full page color ads: Miss Clairol, Kraft Jellies, Kentile Floors, American Motors, LifeSavers, Bell Telephone Systems, Old Forester Whiskey, Walker's Deluxe Whiskey, Borden's Ice Cream, Avis Rent-a-Car, Squib Phamicuticals, Green Giant, Old Charter Whiskey, Mennon, One-a-Day vitamins,Reader's Digest, King Sano Cigs., Sealtest Ice Cream, Pillsbury,Chase & Sanborn, ETHYL Corp., National Homes, Ford, Wesson Oil, Monsanto, Lord Calvert, Brown shoes, Florida Land, AC Sparkplugs, Evinrude, Buick, Chef Boy-ar-Dee, General Motors, Salem, National Bo, Mercury Outboards,Philco TV, Miss Clairol, Chesterfield, Coca-Cola, Ford Chevrolet. Schlitz, Wesson Oil, Chrysler, Sanka, International Truck, Philip Morris, Ritz Crackers, American Airlines, Friskies Dog Food, Pontiac, A&P Ann Page Foods, Kentile Floors, Miss Clairol, Kraft Jellies, Esso Motor Oil, Valiant Car, Calvert Reserve, OldsmobileAmerican Standard Western Electric, Campbell's Soup, Zenith, Douglas DC-8, Mercury, Studebaker Champ Truck ...and dozens of other ads!
Own This Old Vintage LIFE Magazine Issue
This January 12, 1959 LIFE Magazine is an original issue and has the original address label. It is in very good condition, with the normal wear that a 50 year old magazine would have. No loose, detached, or mutilated pages. The photos above, and at the link page are of the actual original issue so you can judge it's condition, and it is available with Free shipping at:
ps. The seller, Appletreedeals, is a reputable long-time ebay Power Seller that has moved his sales to Bonanza, the highly respected ebay alternative for online sales. No bidding! No Auctions!