Old Vintage Life Magazines - October 3, 1960 - Eisenhower
LIFE Magazine - An American Icon
An icon of Americana, old Vintage life magazines were a people's window to world long before anything like the Internet came along. This original vintage October 3, 1960 issue of LIFE magazine shows what was on America's mind that week - what were important social issues of the time, and the top news stories. A big part of every old LIFE magazine was the full-color vintage ads and vivid photo essays, LIFE magazine gave Americans an source for both mental and visual stimulation.
As with most things considered iconic, LIFE magazine
symbolizes America's state of affairs, and American's interests.
Researching on the Internet just doesn't have the same satisfaction as holding a real piece of America's past in your hands.
Original October 3, 1960 Issue of Life Magazine
Front Cover: Eisenhower making his historic speech from the U.N. Podium - *inside front cover, full-color Baby Ruth candy bar ad
- Front cover headlines: Eisenhower's Historic Speech At U.N.
Rear Cover: Coca-Cola ad - * inside rear cover - Full-color I.W. Harper Kentucky Bourbon ad
Table of Contents:
- Historic U.N. Assemblage - The crucial drama dominating this week's events were centered in the U.N. assembly. But it's meaning is seen, and impact felt in many different places. LIFE brings them together in 15 pages of text and pictures to tell the full and vivid story
- The Campus Mobbed - A huge freshman class swamps U.S. colleges, and life tries to guide the melee with a college entrance guide written by experts
- The Political Bite - Winning, or even losing an election today costs a mint, and a revealing article gives the dope on what candidates must do to get their needed funds
- Gall, Guts, and Style - The gall, guts, and glamor with which Manhattan's Seventh Avenue actually dictates U/.S. clothes is caught in pictures.
- Editorial - A statesman's peace plan, and here's how it might work
- Photographic Essays: Seventh Avenue rules the nations styles, and Freshman class 1960
- Articles: "First rocket we will ride" - part VI in the astronauts series, and "Hard to get - Easy to go" Campaign cash and finance
- Sports: "Baltimore Oriole's bobble a pennant", and "A Kid's Big Catch" - 8-year-old lands a 264 pound bluefin tuna
- Television: Pretty Polly Bergen makes a successful switch to slapstick with Phil Silvers
- Dance: Ballet full of barnyard fowl - costume frolic is a highlight of Royal ballet in U.S.
- Medicine: In a drive-in antipolio drive, California town meets epidemic threat with mobilized vaccinations
- Party: Boys have a ball at dad's work - TV cowboy does a show with his own children
A Collector's Wish List - Old Vintage Ads
LIFE magazine's collection of
advertisements, many full-page full-color ads, both from iconic brands of the
time, and market newcomers, was one of the hallmarks of LIFE magazine issues. Often the ads were of as much interest as the articles and photos.
A representative sampling of some of the ads in LIFE magazine issues might include:
Vintage ads: Full page color ads: Old Charter Whiskey, Mennon, Bell Telephone Systems, Old Forester Whiskey, Sealtest Ice Cream, Pillsbury, LifeSavers, American Motors, Walker's Deluxe Whiskey, Borden's Ice Cream, One-a-Day vitamins,Reader's Digest, Florida Land, AC Sparkplugs, Evinrude,Squib Phamicuticals, ETHYL Corp., Buick, Chef Boy-ar-Dee, National Homes, Ford, Wesson Oil, Monsanto, Lord Calvert, Brown shoes, General Motors, Salem, National Bo, Mercury Outboards, Green Giant, King Sano Cigs., Avis Rent-a-Car, Chase & Sanborn, Philco TV, Miss Clairol, Schlitz, Chesterfield, Coca-Cola, Ford Chevrolet. American Airlines, Friskies Dog Food, Pontiac, A&P Ann Page Foods, Kentile Floors, International Truck, Philip Morris, Ritz Crackers,Miss Clairol, Kraft Jellies, Esso Motor Oil, American Standard Western Electric, Campbell's Soup, Zenith, Douglas DC-8, Mercury, Wesson Oil, Chrysler, Sanka, Studebaker Champ Truck, Valiant Car, Calvert Reserve, Oldsmobile ...and dozens of other ads!
You Can Own This Vintage Issue of LIFE Magazine
This original issue, still has the original address label, and is in very good condition, with the normal wear you would expect from a 50 year old magazine. No detached, loose, or torn pages. The photos are of the original issue so you can judge it's condition, and it is available with Free shipping at:
ps. The seller, Appletreedeals, is a reputable long-time ebay Power Seller that has moved his sales to Bonanza, the highly respected ebay alternative for online sales. No bidding! No Auctions!