jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (12 posts)

TAKE 30

1. Jacqueline4390 profile image90
    Jacqueline4390posted 2 years ago

Alf was the 93rd caller to a radio station contest and was told he would win a car if he could go into a room and come out exactly 30 minutes later. The room had no clock, and Alf was not allowed to wear a watch or bring in anything else that tells time. The only thing he could take into the room was a lighter and a candle in a candle holder (supplied by the radio station) that was guaranteed to burn completely in exactly one hour. Alf was not allowed to use a ruler to measure exactly halfway down the candle. Alf went into the room and emerged exactly 30 minutes later to win the car. How did he do it?

1. Quilligrapher profile image89
      Quilligrapherposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Alf lit the candle at both ends and came out of the room when the two flames met and self-extinguished exactly 30 minutes later.

Do I win a car too?
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6919429.jpg

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 2 years ago in reply to this

No.  That was my answer, too...until I thought about the mechanics of lighting both ends of a candle in a candle holder.

If it was one of those in a glass jar, perhaps he could throw it on the floor, breaking the glass, and then chew off enough wax to expose a wick to light on the bottom.

Well, at least we know that great minds think alike. big_smile

Dunno about that - apparently you won admiration.  I didn't even get that! sad

1. Jacqueline4390 profile image90
              Jacqueline4390posted 2 years ago in reply to this

Of course you did. Fancy me leaving you out!

2. Quilligrapher profile image89

What are you talking about? You already have plenty of admiration.

But, if it matters that much to you, I'll ask Jacqueline to give her admiration accolade to you instead. I'll even add my own personal admiration to hers so you'll have two. How's that? cool

Naw - I see you two are in cahoots to console a poor hubber that was left in the cold, forgotten and ignored.  I'll just find a corner and cry in my beer for a few days.  And next time answer the puzzle before you do. smile

Well......okay.......but the beer is on me.

2. Jacqueline4390 profile image90

You have my complete gratitude and heartfelt admiration for even commenting! I'm awed ... mesmerized ... excited ... and well delighted!!!!!!!!

lol

2. Jacqueline4390 profile image90

Right answer and you only win my admiration!

working