Name at least 6 worst things about being the OLDEST CHILD in the family.
I liked being the oldest. I was like Lucy of the Charlie Brown gang. I knew everything and told my three younger brothers so. Till they got to be bigger and stronger than me and went off to ride dirt bikes… leaving me in the dust. Maybe I am still trying to find my lost status.
...a futile search. I must stop.
I was the oldest
1. You are always told that "you should know better, because you the oldest"
2. Always expected to "take charge" of siblings, without having either carrot or stick.
3. The parents are the most strict with you growing up as they err toward the conservative approach as you are the first.
4. It was pressure to have to always be the example for others to follow, not easy to kick up ones heels under the circumstances.
All I could think of is 4 right now....
I was an only child. I always wanted siblings growing up.I have an older stepstister we are pretty close.She was very protective of me growing up.
Oh no Crissy, BE GLAD you're THE ONLY CHILD, honey. You have the UTMOST FREEDOM, you AREN'T overburdened and have very little or no childhood and adolescence like the oldest child, you aren't ignored and overlooked like the middle child, and you aren't definitely like the youngest. Only children HAVE IT MADE. They have the most beautiful childhood and adolescence imaginable. I should know, I'm an only child AND GOSHDARN proud of it! WE ONLY CHILDREN ARE UNIQUE IN WAYS OTHER BIRTH ORDERS AREN'T....
Well, good and blessed night to all who have participated in this discussion.
1. As the first, parents care more. Later on they realize that kids don't need all they are given, whether attention or toys. The loss of freedom for the first is significant.
2. They get to build a sense of responsibility, taking care of siblings.
3. They don't get hand-me-downs, having to break in new things themselves.
4. Their teachers don't compare them to older siblings, expecting what isn't there.
5. They have to set the goal posts for younger siblings.
6. They also have to set an example of how children should behave - they can't be hellions in their own right.
...oops on # 6. I rebelled, regardless.
well, someone had to do it.
Whereas I was always the perfect child.
(Can I interest you in some ocean front property in Arizona?)
Such a STRICT life, no leeway whatever. Oldest children have to WALK that straight road.
I DON'T wish being the oldest child on anyone, boy oh boy oh boy.........Continue with the discussion please. I sympathize the most with oldest children. They endure things that would BREAK a strong adult.
SLAVE to parents and younger siblings.
No individual nor private time.
Very short childhood, if any.
by Grace Marguerite Williams28 hours ago
Are oldest children the worst treated of all birth orders? Why? Why not?
by Grace Marguerite Williams5 years ago
CASE IN POINT!According to Huffington Post Crime report dated November 21, 2012, Tyasia Jackson, a 13 year old Atlanta teen, stabbed her 2 year old sister, Sasha Lamaya Ray, seven times, killing...
by nanderson5005 years ago
Would you rather be the oldest child, in the middle, or the youngest?
by Penny Godfirnon2 months ago
If your were the oldest child in your family were you given huge responsibilities?Were you given responsibilites beyond your years and were you able to accomplish them or did you suffer from failing your parents!
by jagandelight2 months ago
Do you think an only child is better off more than they are with siblings?
by Jami Johnson3 years ago
Who's smarter the first born or the second born (or the third or forth)?I always hear, the first born child is smarter because they have more attention from the parents.... or the second born is smarter because of the...
Copyright © 2018 HubPages Inc. and respective owners.
Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners.
HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc.
HubPages and Hubbers (authors) may earn revenue on this page based on affiliate relationships and advertisements with partners including Amazon, Google, and others.