jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Do graphics even matter anymore?

1. M. T. Dremer profile image94
    M. T. Dremerposted 6 years ago

Do graphics even matter anymore?

For many years a game system's value was determined by how detailed the graphics were. Everyone knew the terms 8-bit, 16-bit and 32-bit as a means to measure how 'good' a system was. But today graphics seemed to have plateaued, not in the sense that there is no room for improvement, but that people don't really notice the differences anymore. It's gotten to the point where 'realistic' games all look the same, and artistic efforts are more memorable. The success of minecraft and continued success of world of warcraft (almost a decade old) tells me that art over power is the future of gaming.

2. melpor profile image92
    melporposted 6 years ago

The quality of the graphics does matter in games today, especially if you are one of those who first started playing video games back in the 70s when they were 8-bit consoles. I recently went back to one of these consoles and I couldn't even enjoy the game because the graphics were so poor compared to the newer games. If you only have been exposed to the newer games the minor improvement in the graphics of games today doesn't matter anymore since they are near photorealistic now. There is not two much room for graphic improvement in the current generation of games.

3. Watcher07 profile image61
    Watcher07posted 6 years ago

Great question.  Personally I think the "graphics" of games hasn't really plateau'd but instead reached a point where more focus can be given to content.  Graphically games will continue to strive for more and more realism.  I'll use Avatar as an example with the film industry.  For quite some time now, filmmakers have been working hard to achieve an unprecedented state of realism with their cgi characters, the technique in bringing Avatar to life hasn't created a "stale" technological state as now they are working on creating eyes that don't just look like eyes but actually have depth.  Same is true for games, no matter how realistic the games begin to appear, there will always be nuances that remind you its not real (fake looking eyes, a glitched muscle in the wireframe, etc).  Until we create characters that are virtually real (seems like a contradiction in terms but its not if you think about it), graphics in games will continue to reach more and more realistic states thus the demand to drive the graphics performance will continue.  Just my opinion though.

4. Faceless39 profile image93
    Faceless39posted 6 years ago

WoW, LOTRO, and other similar Blizzard-style games have updated their graphics significantly over the years.  I think it's still a huge factor in gaming, especially as gaming computers have become more commercially available.

5. Ironman1992 profile image60
    Ironman1992posted 6 years ago

I think graphics are important to games, but developers put too much stock in them. Some games' graphics do still stand out a little, but they are all pretty much the same.

6. thranax profile image51
    thranaxposted 5 years ago

Graphics do matter. The thing about today is people like playing the older games that aren't realistic for the nostalgia of them. Of course that holds true just for the people who grew up with gameboys and older games. Most kids today just want the latest and greatest - of course we cant blame them for that.

Minecraft graphics aren't to be considered in this question because they are kept basic to make the whole "sandbox" feel to them. Of course there are 64-bit hd minecraft texture packs as well as 8-bit ones. The fact that its customizable to the person means it cant be taken into consideration.

~thranax~

working