jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Do you think Squaresoft and Enix were better off not merging?

1. EJ Lambert profile image74
    EJ Lambertposted 4 years ago

Do you think Squaresoft and Enix were better off not merging?

Most gamers with history knowledge remember Squaresoft for such legendary titles like Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger and Breath of Fire.  Others preferred Enix with Dragon Warrior, Dragon Quest and Star Ocean.  Since the two companies merged however the product quality has slipped.  So does anybody think they were better off apart?

2. Scorpio21 profile image79
    Scorpio21posted 4 years ago

I like some of the later final fantasy games, and kingdom hearts which were made after they merged.

EJ Lambertposted 4 years agoin reply to this

The original Kingdom Hearts was actually Squaresoft.  So I'll give credit for the second one to Square Enix.  Still, I think the later FF games don't live up to their predecessors.

3. Willsummerdreamer profile image87
    Willsummerdreamerposted 4 years ago

First two minor nit-picks: Dragon Warrior and Dragon Quest are the same thing, the former was the North American title until part 8 on the PS2. And Breath of Fire was done by Capcom, not Square. Square just published the first game for some reason. And honestly, I don't think that weather or not they were better off as separate companies is really an issue. Square Einx doesn't need a return to the past to improve their games, they need more genuine creative talent to work on their games, talent that is on par (or better) with Hironobu Sakaguchi and all of the other great designers that, sadly, don't work for them anymore. That and they need to bring back their classic franchise that they like to pretend don't exist: like Chrono Trigger, the Secret of Mana series, The Valkyrie Profile series, the Saga games and others I don't have room to name. They need to bring them back and do them correctly. But thats just my opinion.

I'm in agreement on the creative teams.  They seem to have lost their edge in terms of push new boundaries of the RPG genre.  It's really sad because they were so amazing at it.

4. maineavalanche profile image83
    maineavalancheposted 4 years ago

I do believe they were better off apart.  I think the competition between Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior was great for innovation and now the company seems to have a run into a rut.  The Final Fantasy games this generation have been disappointing and Square Enix's sales expectations have been unrealistic.

Very true.  I've always believed competition brings the best out of companies.  It the same reason the WWE has sunk so low.  There is no WCW looking over their shoulder.

working