jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Why do people collect things?

1. thumbi7 profile image64
    thumbi7posted 4 years ago

Why do people collect things?

I know a shopkeeper in my neighborhood who collects different types of pens and he is very enthusiastic about showing his collections to the customers. Also read about many people collecting different thing like coins, key chains, stamps etc. Always wondered; is there any psychological reason behind it?

2. CraftytotheCore profile image83
    CraftytotheCoreposted 4 years ago

I probably would be a psych case as a collector of Barbie items!  LOL
    I know why I collect certain things though and I'm pretty sure it is psychological for me.

When I was a young child, I was taken from my mom.  She married a man when I was 4 and he abused me.  They had a child together, my half-sister.  After my mom left, I went to live with my grandparents.  I was expected to grow up way before my childhood was over.  I was taught to hold in my feelings.  My grandfather didn't treat me like this, but the women role models in my family did.  I had very little toys even though money wasn't an issue. 

The day I was taken away, I left with nothing but the shirt and pants on my back.  I probably had shoes on.  All of the toys my sister and I shared were left behind.  Including my favorite birthday Barbie with a sparkly dress.

Years later, I'm all grown up.  When I found out I was having a daughter, I started a Barbie collection for her.  It may seem ridiculous to some.  But I guess it's a way of preserving what was taken from me in a precious time of life.

I can't speak for others though.  That's just why I am a collector.

1. thumbi7 profile image64
      thumbi7posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Very touching. Sorry to hear about the injustice you had to face in your childhood. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

3. peachpurple profile image81
    peachpurpleposted 4 years ago

hobby i guess. People love to collect all sorts of things. My dad love to collect newspaper clippings ! I have a customer who collects can drinks opener!

working