Obtaining Balance Leads to an Enhanced Life
Does your balancing act need fine-tuning? It's a 'New Year' and being out of balance already seems to be the missing ingredient in a large part of our life today. Life itself can continually throw us off balance and we must continuously bring it back. Having a better understanding of the source of our imbalance can help us find solutions.
Like a captain at sea is constantly checking his location and readjusting his course, we too must keep checking and correcting our balance to improve our life.
If we are not balancing our work time, fun time, and me time then we can end up cracking and fuming until we land in the hospital. The consequences of an unbalanced life from lack of fine-tuning are far greater than if we would take the time to escape for a little self-rejuvenation before it’s too late.
Your Body Mind and Soul Demands Balance
The body demands balance. It will tell you when it needs to rest. Are you listening when your body says it needs a rest? When your body obtains balance it will be more flexible and will easily get things done.
The mind demands balance. It will tell you when it needs to rest. Are you listening when your mind says it needs a rest? When your mind obtains balance it will help you manage multiple demands and work at the top of your game.
The soul demands balance too. It will tell you when it needs to rest. Are you listening when your soul says it needs a rest? When your soul obtains balance it will intuitively meet your goals.
Despite the challenges at times, here are 5 easy ways to obtaining balance in your life this year.
1. Make an appointment with yourself and define what you want to do today. Create a daily and weekly "to do" list. Use your calendar for "me time" as well as appointments with others. Fun and relaxation are an essential part of living a well-balanced life.
2. Do the hard stuff first then cut yourself some slack. Don't be a slave to everything. Just do the things that matter.
3. Take care of your body. Do not skip meals. Your physical and mental energy are dependent upon nourishment. Exercise whenever possible. The benefits are physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual. You will work better when you are healthier.
4. Schedule your day in blocks so there is time for the important work tasks that must get done as well as the non-work stuff that you would really love to do.
5. Do something out of the ordinary to avoid boredom. Breaking out of old habits may lead you to new successes and a more balanced life.
So what does a successful balanced life look like? Here are the words from Ralph Waldo Emerson:
"To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and to endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because I have lived. This is to have succeeded."
Last minute thoughts - Obtaining balance will be difficult at times but if you will do with your life as the captain of the sea did, then you will be pretty balanced. Keep checking your balance and keep correcting it. Most of the time you will feel off balance. Like looking back at the ship's course it will look like a zigzag. If you will keep aiming for balance, sooner than later you will be on your way to a more improved and enhanced life.
Books on Balancing Life
Obtaining Balance in Life
- A Work/Life Balance Calculator
Work commitments often compete for time with friends and family -- as well as sleep, meals and chores. Use this calculator to strike a balance that works best for you.
Hubmobs: Improving your Life in 2009
- What To Do? - Continuous Improvement 2009 by Patty Inglish, MS
For several years, I never understood the idea of making New Years' Resolutions. This was partially because I never heard about them at home growing up, and they were not mentioned in school until High...
- Improving Your Life in 2009 by RGraf
A new year. A chance to make changes and improvements in our lives. But where do we begin? What areas of our lives can we make changes to improve our body, lifestyle, and overall being? ...
- Ways to improve your life in 2009: Be a better role model by Tracy J
Wow, another New Year already. I'm still working on my 2008 resolutions. I guess I'll just carry them over. I believe unused resolutions are still good and can be carried over. Isn't it funny how the days...
- Rediscover An Old Crafting Project Or Find A New Hobby by SweetiePie
New Year's Resolutions are beautiful and sparkly ideals that come to life on January 1st each year. Sadly, many New Year's Resolutions are so lofty that people are destined to fail right off the bat. Of...
- Improve your life learning to love and accept yourself by Princessa
For some people, especially young women, being happy means being in harmony with their bodies, liking what they see in the mirror. The trick however, is not just liking what you see but accepting yourself the way you are.