I keep dreaming about vampires

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (27 posts)
  1. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 15 years ago

Why would that be? Is anyone here good at dream interpretation?

This has been going on for a couple of years. Some of the dreams are very vivid. The night before last I had one in which a female vampire had injected some kind of pure alcohol into her veins, then crashed through a big round stained glass church window and lay bleeding to death on the Church floor, surrounded by shattered stained glass. It was a disturbing image, but also very vivid. It was night outside and everything was very blue/black, but in the church, it as all color, including the bright blood.

A few months back I woke up after a series of these kinds of vivid scenes with an idea for a novel in which it main character is an ex-priest and the vampires are all rabid religions converts, and he gets approached all the time by members of their group who want to be cured.

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 15 years agoin reply to this

no sh*t!  I dream about vampires too well more like zomibes. What is weirder is that just two nights ago I had this dream that somone with a riffle and a vest a tall man shot Obama in the face.  And I went to stop this guy from shooting him but I couldn't do anything.  Then Obama's face shattered like glass. 

Very strange.

2. ProfoundPuns profile image78
    ProfoundPunsposted 15 years ago

Where are you in the dream? Are you the vampire? Or are you watching from the sidelines, not involved in the action at all?

3. profile image0

I'm always watching. It's exactly like watching a movie, and very vivid too. It feels very real.

I'm never a character in the dream.

4. Teresa McGurk profile image60
    Teresa McGurkposted 15 years ago

Write the novel.  There are probably all sorts of unconscious analogies to current events; the infusion of new blood Obama brings to the country (in a conscious full-frontal attack on established republican tradition and the right-wing church elelment) might be a focus for your worry (will s/he be able to survive this?) 

Ok, so I'm extrapolating political issues --

What would the rabid vampire religious converts want to be cured from? Their religious bent or their vampirism (which is worse -- being a blood-sucking fiend or a religious convert?). 

Now that I've probably totally misinterpreted your dream, does this help you focus on what the real interpretation might be?  Only you will know.

Vivid dreams like this are fascinating.

5. needful things profile image63
    needful thingsposted 15 years ago

Any attraction to blood after the dreams? LOL. I remember dreaming I was a vampire after reading vampire novels.

Kidding aside... Write that book before the idea slips away...

"The night before last I had one in which a female vampire had injected some kind of pure alcohol into her veins, then crashed through a big round stained glass church window and lay bleeding to death on the Church floor,"

Has a resemblance to a scene in the movie Twilight... and another scene in Delicate Dependencies and another in Underworld.

6. profile image0

Hi Theresa & needfulthings,

Maybe I saw a clip from "Twilight" and just forgot it and it was replaying in the dream. But I do think it's something about the general mood here in the U.S. right now. In the dream about the ex-priest that I thought would make a good novel the idea was that the religion and the vampirism were kind of the same thing--you know, eternal life and all but at the price of your soul and sworn allegiance to the horde forever--and the priest was a kind of antihero. In leaving the Church and accepting death and damnation he also gives himself a quieter saner life, albeit one with an endpoint--so now and again one of the vampires is attracted to that. There's a dark side to being a vampire, even a Christian one. It's not all fun and games. LOL!

But then, things go wrong (as they always do when you're an expriest being pursued by religious vampires). smile I'd have to outline what happens to insure the book had an actual plot. I'm great at throwing myself into novels I never finish because I have the tone and the imagery and the characters but no plot. (Something has to happen Pam!)

I've always been fascinated by vampires, and lately I d feel kind of like we live in a whole country full of them and religion is making it worse, not better.

Maybe it's no more complicated than that.

Thank you for your taking the time to share your thoughts! big_smile

7. Pam Roberson profile image67
    Pam Robersonposted 15 years ago

This is interesting Pam. Those types of dreams where you are the observer always kind of creep me out because it seems/feels like I'm being shown something that is very significant in some way.

When I think of vampire, I think of anything or anyone that sucks the life out of a person. For example, have you ever been around a person that for some reason leaves you feeling exhausted when he/she leaves? It's almost like they have a vacuum cleaner hose hooked into you sucking all your energy out or something. Then sometimes events in life can suck the vitality out of you as well. Just a thought. Maybe someone else has already mentioned it. wink

I love vampire novels, so write yours! smile

8. profile image0
    C. C. Riterposted 15 years ago

here is my interpretation of said dream:
    alcohol in her veins, her power over us; Lilith our fears/dreams
    church window; your haven of refuge the art of it, she spoils it
    Your life in the 'church': again reality of your art and life
    outside that reality that you have made for yourself it is colorless/lifeless

you are worried you will lose this wonderful life you have made creating wonderful things, that's good because it keeps you on your toes. Not to worry, you'll be fine

anyway, that's my idea

1. profile image0
      pgrundyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You hit on something here that does ring true to me--the art and the refuge I take in that art from a colorless outside life. That did kind of hit home there. Lilith--that is interesting too. I've been thinking a lot lately about how creative power so often comes from the shadow side of a person, the side that is least appealing to think about, look at, acknowledge. So it comes kind of from the Lilith side more than the Virgin Mary side--that's been on my mind consciously for a number of reasons. You've given me some really good stuff to work with here. Thank you.

2. ProfoundPuns profile image78
      ProfoundPunsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Interesting that C.C. interpreted you as being an extension of the church, and I interpreted as you being an extension of the vampire...

9. profile image0

Hi Pam--Thanks for commenting. Yes, I think I will write it. Might as well--I'm sure as hell not going to find a 'real' job up here!

10. Amanda Severn profile image94
    Amanda Severnposted 15 years ago

Pam,
    Don't write it as a novel, write it as a movie script! It sounds great!

11. ProfoundPuns profile image78
    ProfoundPunsposted 15 years ago

Although I enjoy dream interpretation, I don't know if I'm any good at it. There are strong symbolic images in your dream, though, so here's my attempt:

I don't know about you, but to me vampires represent power and unapologetic sexuality. Add into the equation the pure alcohol, which represents freedom from inhibitions. So here is an image of power, free of societal restraints. Vampires don't hide who they are, and they don't apologize for giving in to their urges.

The Church is another powerful symbol. To some it represents forced hiding, conformity to the rules, and denial of human nature. (Pam, I don't know if this applies to your feelings or not.) The vampire and the church are at odds with each other, and in your dream, the church is winning, as the vampire is dying because of the church's structure.

This doesn't necessarily have anything to do with religion. My interpretation is that you feel some sort of restraint on who you truly are. Something is forcing you to hide your true thoughts or feelings, and that is hurting you. The physical bleeding of the vampire represents the emotional pain you feel, consciously or subconsciously.

Even though you yourself are not the vampire in the dream, you are still seeing the vampire as an extension of yourself.

(I'm a frustrated English major. I haven't been able to analyze symbolism in a long time. So take this with a grain--or a hunk--of salt.)

12. profile image0

LOL, I ain't no church and I ain't no dr. funny though ain't it, dreams that is. i of course was speaking in tongue-in-cheek, you should know me by now. i think maybe you do. lol

13. profile image0

Pam, your love of creating is sacred to you. get it? let it flow, do with it you ain't gonna lose it, you're good and your well isn't going dry

14. profile image0

Wow, you guys are deep! lol!

No, seriously, I think Pam & CC are right on with this. Whoa. I guess when ya asks ya better be ready ta receive! big_smile

Amanda, I so wish I knew how to write a screenplay. Sell one of those and you can kick back for a couple of days!

Thank you so much. You should all get jobs doing this. Most excellent!

1. kerryg profile image83
      kerrygposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Writing a screenplay is actually quite easy. There's some annoying formatting stuff you have to learn, but it's not really any more annoying than, say, HTML, and there are software programs designed to help ease the annoyance. Industry standard is Final Draft, but I use an open source one called celtx for my occasional dabblings in the medium.

Sadly, if I learned one thing from the WGA strike, it's exactly how much the networks and studios do to screw over the writers, actors, and crew. ~sighs~

15. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 15 years ago
  16. profile image0

Thank you kerryg and knolyourself--I'll check it out. I appreciate the links.

BTW kerry--love the new photo on your profile. I know lots of people are nervous about posting photos of themselves, but I like to see what people look like. I find I get more work and more hits with a photo too. smile

1. kerryg profile image83
      kerrygposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. I am VERY nervous about posting a real pic, but figure the smallish size and the movie star sunglasses will help. *g* Maybe I'll get up the nerve for something clearer later.

I love a good vampire story, so I hope you do consider turning it into something. Twilight came from a dream, you know, and look how well SM did for herself! wink

17. profile image0

No doubt! You never know what will be the next big deal.

If it makes you feel any better I've had my pic up over year and basically nothing bad has ever come of it. I think sometimes people worry too much about the dangers of the internet. If you think about it, REAL life is WAY more dangerous! lol

18. profile image0

Oh that was just some redneck shooting his TV.

1. profile image0
      pgrundyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 15 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

19. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

lol

20. akeejaho profile image62
    akeejahoposted 15 years ago

That sucks!  Heehee

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)