jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (15 posts)

Hi all :) i'm new here

1. cancerresearcher profile image59
    cancerresearcherposted 4 years ago

Hi all, my name is Aldo, researcher in cancer research institute. I would like to begin writing in hubpages about cancer, my speciality. Hope it will be benifical to you all. If you have any article request, i'm all ears smile

1. habee profile image90
      habeeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Welcome! My daughter is a national tumor registrar, so I'm sure she'll be reading your articles. I have a request: write about the latest multiple myeloma news. I have MGUS, and my aunt died with MM. Thanks in advance!

cancerresearcherposted 4 years agoin reply to this

thank you for the reply habee.. i will do my best to make an article about MM. Yes, cancer is an interesting topic. i'm sad that many of the info in the internet is not based on evidence.

2. lorlie6 profile image88
      lorlie6posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Good to have you here-HP is a fabulous place to publish informative articles.  I imagine most every Hubber has experienced cancer in some way in their lifetimes and the more knowledge, the better.
      I recently read an article that suggested cancer was already growing, without detection, in a huge percentage of the global population...true?
      Take good care cr,
      Laurel

hi Laurel,
        thank you for your encouragement. Yes, that's a hypothesis that cancer actually is a stem cell in our body that undergoes some kind of mutation. So, everyone has it intrinsically. The question is whether the cell mutated or not?

1. lorlie6 profile image88
          lorlie6posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Aldo, isn't one of the basic characteristics of the disease mutation?  Or do some cancers never change or spread?

In our body, normally there's a type of cells that's called Stem Cell. This cells are important for regeneration purpose. For example, red blood cell are generated by these stem cell. In certain condition, this stem cell can mutate. The mutation of this stem cell create cancer. Hope that helps smile

1. WriteAngled profile image90
              WriteAngledposted 4 years agoin reply to this

This is a somewhat simplistic approach to the topic of cancer, let alone to the topic of stem cells.

What about the process of dedifferentiation, which does not involve stem cells at all?

What about chemical carcinogenesis, which need not have anything to do with stem cells?

Likewise, radiation-induced carcinogenesis does not necessarily target stem cells.

I feel you are taking a somewhat blinkered view. However, perhaps this is understandable, since I see that you are a very young postgraduate student, with no experience of medical research as yet. and therefore very limited in your knowledge and understanding.

2. profile image0
    Kena Bladelposted 4 years ago

Welcome to Hubpages, hope you have a really nice journey here with us! (More people could welcome to you, but oh well, not many said it to me too, so...- i guess it's 'normal') You'll have success!

Thank you very much smile

3. leahlefler profile image97
    leahleflerposted 4 years ago

Welcome to HP! I can't wait to see your work - wishing you luck!

4. Rosie2010 profile image75
    Rosie2010posted 4 years ago

Welcome to Hubpages, cancerresearcher!  This is a good site with a very friendly community.  I wish you all the best here on Hubpages.  Happy hubbing.  Cheers!

5. WriteAngled profile image90
    WriteAngledposted 4 years ago

Furthermore, mutation does not need to involve a stem cell in order to lead to cancer.

It really is not useful to present such simplistic arguments. The mere fact that you are talking to lay people is not an excuse to present half truths.

6. WriteAngled profile image90

For example, in the research area you cite as being your own particular interest, I am not aware that FGFR3 mutations are restricted to stem cells.

7. WriteAngled profile image90

I also find it rather perplexing that you cite the name of a non-existent institution in your profile. While Newcastle University does host a cancer research institute, the name of this institute does not match the one that you mention on your profile. Even after several decades, I can remember the exact name of the sub-department in which I carried out my doctoral and postdoctoral research in immunology.

working