Are there times that you get so mad that you want to punch the wall?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (44 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Kevina Oyatedorposted 10 years ago

There are times that I get frustrated or angry that I want to punch someone. But I don't like hurting people so I punch a wall. Anyone else have that feeling as well?

1. profile image0
      Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Are you a girl? You must be a very tough girl. Usually when a girl gets that mad, she cries. lol
      I would think it would hurt your hand really badly!

1. profile image0
        Kevina Oyatedorposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes i am a girl. My name can be misleading to others lol. I am very tough, but there are times I do cry when i'm angry. Tears can't be the only answer so you have to punch something like a wall or a punching bag which I need.

1. profile image0

You should take up kick boxing. That would be awesome.

1. profile image0

That would be awesome, i might look up some classes online.

2. profile image0

thank you

1. profile image0

For sure! Then post some hubs and teach women how to protect themselves or get in shape or take out their anger without hurting themselves... etc. smile

1. profile image0

I'll do that, thanks for the advice.

3. Zelkiiro profile image86
            Zelkiiroposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If you took up kickboxing while angry, it would very quickly turn into Battle Royale.

1. profile image0

lol it would be a Battle Royale.

2. Jlbowden profile image86
      Jlbowdenposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, there are many times, that I lost my cool Kevina and punched my own wall in my home.  Thankfully I didn't break my wrist, or hand, as a result of letting my patience get the best of me.  However, I had created extra work for myself afterward, not realizing that I would have to run to the hardware store, to purchase some wall putty, to hide the holes in the walls with.   This happens even to the best of us at times - I'm sure!

2. Zelkiiro profile image86
    Zelkiiroposted 10 years ago

I try not to get that mad, because my only wall options are foot-thick concrete and relatively soft wood.

Neither would end well.

1. profile image0

Very true. I dont want to mess my walls as well but I need a punching bag.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Or some anger management classes, learning how to control emotions.  Anyone that gets so angry they cannot refrain from hitting walls is in need of help.

1. profile image0

Maybe but I'm not that angry all the time. Yoga is good but still in need of a punching bag. lol

Most people are not that angry all the time.  Just occasionally, whereupon it almost inevitably turns to abusing the people around them.  It may take years (and usually does) but the inability to control temper ends up as bruises, broken bones or worse on spouses, children or co-workers. 

Learning to control your own emotions is not something to be let go until someone ends up being hurt.

1. profile image0

Totally agree with you that anger can get worse if its not in control.

Yes it can - I've seen it too often.  And the answer is not to find that "punching bag" to take it out on, it is to control it within yourself.  To learn self control, not merely an acceptable object to whale away upon - eventually that becomes another person in far, far too many cases.

3. David Carl profile image60
    David Carlposted 10 years ago

Kevina, Kevina, Kevina

I say take some goof like me, in real life I have been called a goof. That's goof with a small g, not a big G.That would be more like a jerk, which I certainly am not. Take someone like me, for instance, a goof.......

When I get angry, that would be mad, angry, you know, not, say, uh...angry, mad. I can keep my mouth shut when I am mad, angry....but not when I am angry mad...Then I am like crazy stupid..........

To be continued:   Grammommy is calling us to dinner.

Olveeturzane

4. profile image0
    Dave36posted 10 years ago

It's like wilderness said it's all about self control, & if you watch "Oprah Winfrey's Soul Series with Ecjhart Tolle" available on utube it will all become clear....Only you make yourself mad nobody else does this to you, you might think it's because of them, but really it's because of you & how you react....But hey buddy this is the same for everyone on the planet, until they gain more self control....I was 40 years old before i realized why i got mad a lot, now i'm as calm as the Buddha!lol

1. profile image0

Very true, My reaction is sometimes to yell but i have learned to breathe in and out. Thank you very much!

1. profile image0
        Dave36posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well your well on your way then buddy, & you will get there because your aware of it....Most people i know aren't aware that they can control their emotions, & i only realised a year ago....If you keep practising you should start realising you've lost it, earlier than you normally would have....For example i started realising "after" i'd lost it, but with practise i started realising "during" the arguments etc....With loads more practise, i started realising "before" i was about to lose it, & was able to control myself pretty easily....Also start looking at what makes you angry, & just how important is it anyway....Nothing anyone can say to you about you should be able to rattle you, if you did get upset you would be valuing their opinion higher than your own opinion of yourself....All that really gets mad/angry/jealous etc is our ego, & that's the voice in our head that says all the bad stuff/ideas etc.

1. profile image0

thank you so much for the advice!

1. profile image0

Well i hope you watch the vids i mentioned buddy, because it did work for me in a massive way, & it really changed my life for the better....I don't bottle my feelings/emotions up or anything, things just don't bother me like they used to....It's hard to explain how it works, but it's as if my mind has shifted to see what negative thinking/worrying, & getting angry etc really is....And what it is is pointless, so once your mind actually accepts/realises that fact, you won't get mad etc ever again....It takes "loads" of practice, but it's certainly not boring mate it's effing fascinating.

1. profile image0

thats great that it worked. i will watch them.

5. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
    Kathryn L Hillposted 10 years ago

My advice is this: Isolate the difficulty. What exactly is angering you. All problems have solutions. Solve your problem and your anger will go away of its own accord. You don't even need to control it… poof it will be gone!
    Most anger is justified. Listen to your anger. Contemplate your anger. Find out the reason you feel anger. There is a reason for it and it needs to be consciously attended to. Therapists help you do this easily. But you can do it without one as well. Writing it out also helps. Hitting walls or people can break bones in your hand. Especially a female's.

1. profile image0

yeah this is very true. thank you so much.

2. profile image0

I'd say it depends on the problem Kathryn, i mean if a person is depressed because of their past...That problem can only be solved in the persons mind, because it's their mind that's causing that particular problem....Your advice is what i do for my worries, i get to the root cause (which is usually me!lol), & start trying to eliminate them....Saying that if a person who was unhappy with their life did a bit of both emotions/feelings control, & isolation of their difficulties & solving them they would eventually be feeling great.

6. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

Warning: True story/ Creative writing:
    Once upon a time, last night at midnight, I was drifting to sleep, peacefully going into alpha state… zzz... when all of the sudden, all three of my dogs started barking in their various irritating pitches. They were yelling about some strange dogs and some weird noises coming from the neighbor's yard across the street.
    "So what?" I barked back, "Just go back to sleep!"
    They did not. I contemplated throwing them all in the car for the rest of the night. Instead, to get rid of my anger, I decided to solve the problem. I got up, marched across the street in my bathrobe, with my flash light and shined the light into the yard. Well, sure enough there were two noisy dogs barking up into the tree where a squirrel was giving birth to her squealing infants. She was cuck, cuck, cucking and they were making a small intimate commotion that only a dog could detect from a distance.
       Standing under the street lamp, watching the curious dogs in the moonlight and being in the presence of the miracle of creation…ended up being a happy moment for me.
        I told the dogs to go home or I would call the police. They finally listened to me and trotted home (after getting up out of bed and repeating myself three more times.) My dogs quieted down and I crawled into bed thanking God for the wonders of nature. zzzzz The End.

1. profile image0

i like that. when i hear my niece and nephew crying for no reason i want to cry with them because im irritated, but that's immature. so i carry them or sing a song to make them smile.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
        Kathryn L Hillposted 10 years agoin reply to this

smile

2. profile image0

Hey Kevina that's the very practice i'm talking about, when your niece/nephew was crying for no reason they "didn't" make you feel irritated "you" made yourself irritated....Now i know how that sounds buddy, because i didn't get it for a good few weeks of thinking about that statement....But try sitting there at night, & think about some bad thing that happened to you....Does it upset you thinking about it?, if so "proof" that you create our own feelings/emotions....Next time it happens think logically about the situation your in, & kids don't cry for no reason....So when you start to feel irritated see if you can feel where those feelings come from, & then breathe relax smile & do not react negatively....The trick is to never ever ever act negatively "ever"!lol

1. profile image0

no negativity! Thank you, i don't yell at them, i sing and do a funny dance for them to make them smile.

1. profile image0

Well like i said earlier your well on your way to being in complete control of your emotions/feelings, as a lot of peeps would go in screaming at them....You might still get the quick with no warning bouts of anger, but your'l keep getting better at being aware as you go....Even if you stubbed your toe badly, you can't get mad as it's already done....Sooner rather than later you will (with loads more practise) start finding it funny when you stub your toe etc....You will say to yourself wow i would have smashed something in my house or screamed with rage, if that had happened to me a few months ago, but now i'm as calm as the Buddha!lol

2. profile image0

Hey Kathryn i like your story, & maybe the dogs woke you up so you could see the baby squirrels!lol....The only way i could explain how i feel about anger now, as i don't think i will be able to "lose it" ever again now that i'm aware....Is that i know every time when i'm entering, or in a situation where i would have or should get annoyed/angry etc.....Usually anger is a quick response, & catch's us off guard....So after learning what i learn't, i'm now on guard, & the most i'll feel now is a seconds worth where i feel anger trying to get started, but that second is all it takes to stop it developing.

Dear Dave,
        Yes, I used to frown and get mad fairly very easily. To avoid frown lines I decided to not let my self frown so much.  I discovered that smoothing out my forehead caused my anger to dissipate as well! LOL! (It takes less muscles to smile than frown. smile )

However, anger is a natural emotion and is actually quite useful. Patience is the thing which helps us channel anger and use it constructively. I am not debating you or anyone else at all. Just adding my two cents. I enjoy reading the advice of others. And your advice is always good.
        Kathryn

To summarize:

1. Breathe in and out.
        2. Un-wrinkle the brow.
        3. Look at the situation objectively, rather than subjectively, realizing that everything out there is neutral; that only your reaction causes the ripples in your otherwise calm-lake-of-sunshine mind.
        4. Find patience and self control.
        5. Try to fix the situation.
        6. Realize when the situation is out of your control. (Sometimes you just have to know when to let things go….in other-words, when to  accept it.)
        7. Sign up for kickboxing.
        8. When all else fails, find a (soft) wall.

1. profile image0

Hey Kathryn you've "really" made me think now, & no one's done that for a while....As my mind has changed a lot over the last 7/8 months, it is quite hard to remember how i used to think....I do know for a fact i was a compulsive thinker/over analyser/worrier, & now i'm not....But i swear i  never realised it was patience, that i'd been using in the early days when i was doing the emotions/feelings control practice....It's making me think though because i don't have to use patience now, i just don't get the unwanted emotions/feelings now....It's hard to decipher i think because using self control is called being patient, but being patient is called using self control....Maybe self control & patience are the same thing, a state of being.

I used to over-think too.  it is better than under thinking. But eventually as you understand stuff you don't have to search for answers so intensely.
            Concrete to abstract. I MUST understand the concrete before the abstract.
            ...as we all do. Especially kids in learning math concepts.

1. profile image0

Hey Kathryn if you we're to look back on any problems that you've had in your life so far, do you see them all as learning experiences?....I'm not sure that over thinking is better than under thinking, but it depends on who is doing the thinking....When i was an over thinker/analyser etc, it was my ego mind that used to ask most of the questions....Why me?, Why did i do that, why didn't i do this etc, now iv'e outed my ego from my mind my mind is now there to help me....My mind doesn't ask those questions now as it know's the answer, & the answer was me each time....It's only since iv'e changed inside, that all my problems have disappeared....So i'm sure i'm not my mind or anything it says, what i am is how i feel in my heart/soul....So i try to ask my heart/soul what it is i need/want in life, i meditate on it then i use my mind to help me find those things....I think we're saying much the same thing just a different arrangement of words, you know what works for you & i know what works for me....I think that our heart tries to find the things we want/need in life, (if we can tune into it, by ignoring our ego) whereas my ego mind used to always ask negative stuff (why me etc)....So asking from our heart = positive results etc, whereas being led by what our ego says = negativity....Really great chatting to you mate, & your advice is great advice.

Dave. I know what you are saying. Not arguing at all. Actually a lot of stuff we all argue about is very personal. Each to their own, ya know. When others ask for advice, all one can do is bring their own understanding to the table. Every person is a window of light.

1. profile image0

Yeah we're all on our own path aye mate, many paths to the same destination....I just love talking about life that's all, & i know i go a bit over the top with my posts & their rather lengthy!lol....But i will pick peoples brains like yours if i can, to try to get a few different perspectives/ideas on life....I mean every person can be a window of light, but they are a bit thin on the ground at the moment, as their mainly watching T.V etc!lol

...yeah, some shades are drawn. Lol!

7. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

9. (...scratch 8.) Do not react negatively.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)