Do you have any bad habits that you wish you didnt have? Did you try to change?

1. Eaglekiwi profile image80
    Eaglekiwiposted 8 years ago

Do you have any bad habits that you wish you didnt have? Did you try to change? what happened? what helped most? What doesnt help?

2. profile image0
    SarahMichelleposted 8 years ago

Ha!  Bad habits...plenty of them.  Take your pick:)  I have a very bad habit of driving too fast.  I am also a huge procrastinator and sometimes that can be a very bad habit.  I don't make my bed in the morning sometimes and it drives me crazy.  I also eat to much.  Baaaaad habit.  Oh and impulse buying.  Thats bad too.  And how have I tried to change?  I haven't...smile

Now on the other hand, I do have this nasty little habit called cutting that I am attempting to knock out.  I won't go into details - I've already written them.  Anyway, thats beside the point.  The point is that this is one bad habit I'm GOING to bring to its knees as it has to me so many times.  And all this is in process so the only thoughts about what is helping most are friends, writing, prayer, staying busy, and removing the temptation - on Monday, I threw all my blades out.  I removed the temptation from my immediate presence.  That has helped a lot.  Not doing that doesn't help:)

3. Gusty Tukan profile image54
    Gusty Tukanposted 8 years ago

Bad habits? I have a lot. Drinking a lot of coffee and then cursing myself for being unable to sleep at night is one of them. I take alcohol, too. I am addicted to drinking black coffee and alcohol, and worse, I also make too many promises but can hardly be true to myself.

I have been trying to change them. The first thing I do is to realize that this mess is just an expression of the inner me, the mess inside. So pathetic. Something has to be done, then. I have to fix it. So, the second thing I do is to seek help. Avoid being in a depressed situation by reading good and encouraging books, doing sports and activities that challenge my sense of value: social related activities. These activities can help but they are just a sort of "mild" escape. The mess is still there, the problem is still there.

So the help I am doing now to myself is learning self-discipline trough spending time daily just to be calm and observe myself. I determine to get up early in the morning. The result is great. I acknowledge that I have this and that flaws, this and that wants. By just acknowledging and accepting without pretense to judge. I find relief just by accepting my flaws. Through this, I am fixing the mess inside. The method I am doing is the sit comfortably - back straight and observe the in and out movement at my stomach. The result is that during the course of the day, I begin to have a "mental alarm" that notifies me whenever these and and those wants arise and just by acknowledging and accepting them, they loose their sting.

I am still working on it. We can still share. How about sharing me yours? The courage to share is the result of acknowledging.

Closed to reply

working