jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

I have sleep apnea. How can I get a good night sleep while I wait for the breath

1. inventionaddict profile image56
    inventionaddictposted 8 years ago

I have sleep apnea. How can I get a good night sleep while I wait for the breathing machine?

2. Philip Bradbury profile image57
    Philip Bradburyposted 8 years ago

H\ve you tried any type of meditation - there are lots - which gives you deeper relaxation in the alpha state then sleep does and you're conscious all the time ... sounds like the perfect answer to me! Some people don't like it because they have to work at it, rather than have a pill or a machine do all the work. The benefit is that you're not addicted/dependent on a machine.

3. edguider profile image66
    edguiderposted 8 years ago

There is a herbal remedy called melatonin, it is very good for sleep. I use to see a doctor about my sleep apnea, he is great and specializes on only sleep apnea http://doctorstevenpark.com/

4. Team A profile image56
    Team Aposted 7 years ago

Sleep on your side or abdomen rather than on your back. Sleeping on your back can cause your tongue and soft palate to rest against the back of your throat and block your airway. Also, keep your nasal passages open at night. Use a saline nasal spray to help keep your nasal passages open. Talk to your doctor about using any nasal decongestants or antihistamines because these medications are generally recommended only for short-term use. Hopefully by tat time you'll get yor CPAP machine ready for you. Hope this helps.

5. Julie2 profile image60
    Julie2posted 7 years ago

Try using a humidifier to clear your nasal passages during the night. This helps with your breathing.

6. kr Heng profile image59
    kr Hengposted 7 years ago

Have you ever tried listening to a CD for insomnia?  Even though it's for insomnia, a good CD will enable you to slow down your thoughts, relax you and ease you into sleep.  Hope this helps!

7. JT Walters profile image80
    JT Waltersposted 6 years ago

As I understand it the major cause of sleep apnea is obesity.  So if you want to get a good night sleep.  Exercise, cut the fat and caffiene out of your diet.  And go to bed the same time every night with your pillow raised.

working