My Mum is 79 & has insane itching on back, arms & is scratching herself to piece

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)
  1. profile image48
    Pearl's Mumposted 14 years ago

My Mum is 79 & has insane itching on back, arms & is scratching herself to pieces & fluid retention

She has developed the fluid retention and puffiness in her feet and the bags under her eyes have filled with fluid also. She does not have scabies so we can rule that one out. No creams are helping. She has been on quite a bit of medication for a long time now, I am desperate for an answer as she is making big craters in her back with the scratching.She has just started on a new painkiller called Oxcontanin 10mg twice daily and has just started taking antihystamines for the itchyness. Please help, thanks.

2. profile image0
    Retsuzenposted 14 years ago

What is her sickness? I need to know more info before I can help. Contact me on Hubpages

3. profile image57
    leesyposted 14 years ago

Hello I work with Lifewave patches. 
    I would suggest your Mum has allergies happening. Considering too her fluid retention, she has blocked kidney meridians etc.
    Disregarding what the patches can do for her, try to include the following for her.  Hot Epsom Salts foot bath twise daily - this will help pull out toxins, and WATER, WATER , WATER , all day - even sit on the loo is she has to.
    If I can help you with patches info, let me know.  I have heaps of knowledge.  Leesy

4. dabeaner profile image60
    dabeanerposted 14 years ago

Sounds like shingles.  But what do I know.  She should see a doctor.  Since you called her "Mum", if you are British, lots luck with that long-standing Obama/Pelosi health-care prototype.

5. Lisa HW profile image60
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

If she's on those medications I'm assuming she has a doctor.  Fluid retention isn't something to ignore, so I'd hope she sees her doctor.  The itch could be caused by a number of different things.  Here's a URL with some basic information about possible causes:

http://dermatologytimes.modernmedicine. … 555?ref=25

(If you can't just  click on it copy and paste the address into your browser's address bar.)

Besides needing to get the cause of the itch identified by her doctor, there's the concern that scratching and breaking the skin will place your mother at high risk of developing infection (as you and she must already know).   Of course, sometimes skin that's dry (and doesn't even look all that dry) will itch, and then scratching it will cause more itch and skin problems.  I knew an elderly woman who would use Eucerin for her dry skin and itch.  It comes in difference forms, including cream and  anti-itch spray.  Apparently, it's cooling. 

Might you be able to call her doctor's office and "get clearance" to use some over-the-counter (or prescription) product that isn't a cream - maybe something like Bactine spray or another anti-bacterial product that may be more cooling/soothing than a cream?  (Of course, you should ask about the problem with any product being drying if her problem is dry skin.)  (I do know she shouldn't have any hydrocortisone creams with broken skin.  That can cause serious problems and reactions too.)

If she's having an allergic reaction to medication it could become more serious.  Between that and the fluid retention (which can be caused by any number of things that aren't serious, but which could also be serious), please just get in touch with her doctor's office.  I wish I could be more help; but with an elderly patient on medications it's really her doctor (or some doctor) she needs.

6. Migdala profile image60
    Migdalaposted 14 years ago

It could be a simple allergy....I had similar symptoms before I realized I was allergic to wheat.   Also, too many toxins in the body (from all her medications) could easily cause the water retention.

7. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 14 years ago

Itching can be a sign of a serious medical problem..
    Lymphoma, scabies, nerve damage and more...Edema can be blockage of lymph glands.

8. Tatjana-Mihaela profile image49
    Tatjana-Mihaelaposted 14 years ago

The problems your Mum has are:
    -medications she takes (after some time regular use of many medications  causes fluid retention as side-effect . Liver and kidneys cannot work properly and clean body from toxins).
    According to description of the symptoms your Mum is probably on corticosteroids? or some other coctail of drugs is causing her edema and skin problems.
    -she also lost due to her age her sex-hormones: f.E progesterone is necessary for healthy skin. Due to the lack of sex hormones, her body and especially skin does not regenerate any more as it should (its dry)

I doubt that anything can help her sufficientely while she is on many medications -  she is allergic on medications she is taking...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)