jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Which is better exercise before breakfast or after the breakfast

1. LensMan999 profile image53
    LensMan999posted 8 years ago

Which is better  exercise before breakfast or after the breakfast

2. I.B. profile image71
    I.B.posted 8 years ago

When answering this question, one should keep in mind that the body has been fasting for probably around 8-12 hours prior to waking up and needs certain intakes ( preferably high protein ) to "kick start" the system. Carbs should also be added, cause they will give you energy for any exercises you might do. So my answer is that you should exercise AFTER you eat ( ok not right away but 30-60 minutes after ) if you want a complete workout.

If your goal is to starve the body and to a poor workout you can go right ahead and do not eat at all.

Starving will not give you results in the long run. YoYo diet sindrom.

3. David R Bradley profile image84
    David R Bradleyposted 8 years ago

I think it depends on your goal.  If you are training for fat loss, the fact that you're in a fasted state means your insulin levels are low and that that can lead to the body using fat to fuel the workout.  The workout itself should be short and intense as well.  This will elevate your metabolism all day.  The Tabata Protocol lends itself very well to a fasted training session.

If you're training for muscle mass, size or strength, a protein shake with some good low glycemic carbs 30-45 minutes before training is a good way to go. 

Make sure to refuel proper after training as well regardless if which direction you go. 

Let me know if that helps.

4. nifty@50 profile image75
    nifty@50posted 8 years ago

In the military we always did physical training before breakfast. Ever hear the term blowing your breakfast? Otherwise I would wait at least a good hour to an hour and a half before exercising. I always make breakfast my largest meal!

5. Dmian profile image57
    Dmianposted 7 years ago

After by all means, even if you want to lose weight, if you execise on an empty stomach you will indeed lose weight but it wont be just fat what you lose you will be losing muscle too! your body needs fuel to substain and food is the fuel of the body if you donĀ“t have any food in your system where do you think your body will take the energy to exercise? from your body reserves these are your fat storages and muscle.

working