How to motivate youself to start working out and is it better to workout at home

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)
  1. gesoweso profile image60
    gesowesoposted 13 years ago

How to motivate youself to start working out and is it better to workout at home or the gym?

I had started to work out at home in late 2010 (around November) but then came christmas, and the feasts, and I haven't really been able to get my self working out after that.

2. @mused profile image60
    @musedposted 13 years ago

Good for you on wanting to motivate yourself to workout more!  I'm in a similar boat myself, and although I haven't found a "cure" for staying motivated to workout, I do have a few suggestions. 
    1.  Try working out in the morning.  Even if you do just a little bit, enough to get your heart pumping, you will set yourself up in a positive direction for the rest of the day.  Sometimes I'll take my dog for a morning walk, and I'll experience clarity of thought and ambition for the rest of the day.  It's really amazing what one little walk can do!  **Don't forget to eat breakfast too, though wink
    2.  Change up your workout routine BEFORE you start to get bored.  I mean days before!  As soon as you even think of getting bored with your routine, you'll lose motivation and proper form.  This can have a severely negative impact on your drive to keep working out consistently.
    3.  Also, don't be TOO hard on yourself if you miss a workout.  I try to give myself very little excuse to miss a workout.  (I workout at home, so that's not too difficult...).
    4.  Cycle through interval training.  When you do interval training, you're less likely to get bored because you raise the challenge each time and you do different exercises back to back.  There are tons of exercise videos on video-hosting websites.  I love that I work out in my home for FREE! 
    5.  Make goals and record them on your phone, calendar, the back of your hand...  They should be challenging, yet attainable.  Make working out "X" amount of times per week a goal and reward yourself for doing so (with something healthy, of course!)
    6.  Eat healthy.  Whenever I eat healthy, I instantly think of working out.  Good food goes hand in hand with exercise for me.
    7.  Last, but not least... Stay positive!  See if you can find a friend/family member to workout with you and challenge each other.  Cheer each other on!

3. wychic profile image86
    wychicposted 13 years ago

Personally, what I found worked best in my case was working out outside of the home (the local YMCA...$5 per month with their low-income membership assistance program) and finding an exercise buddy to go with. My buddy ended up being my mom. Now my mom and I attend a core strength and flexibility class three times a week, and she'll be showing up to my house at 8:30 in the morning regardless of how I feel when I wake up. Since we don't have a working vehicle, she's also the only ride I have to get to class. I end up going to class because she'll be here to pick me up, and she goes to class because otherwise I wouldn't be able to go. We agreed on no excuses unless one of us is on our death beds, and a touch of a competitive element helps goad us along too -- after all, I can't let my mom beat me, and she sure can't let her daughter beat her tongue. Missed one day in two months so far, and I was REALLY sick the day I didn't go.

4. mr. daydream profile image60
    mr. daydreamposted 13 years ago

In most cases, yes, it is better working out in a gym in (an envoirnment that's totally dedicated to getting a frail body in shape) in lieu to the overly cozy comforts of your own living room, or bedroom. But in these tough times, not everyone can afford a gym membership. And if you don't have weights at home, you can start off by doing stardard push-ups and pulls-ups to increase your strength to the point where you can at least left your own body weight. Some pulls-ups will help too if you have something around the house to pull yourself up and down on. There's a lot of information at http://hubpages.com/hub/Worth-The-Weight in reguards to helping to build self-motivation in ppl in are in-earnest about wanting to get in better shape.

5. vashal profile image62
    vashalposted 13 years ago

I think it varies from person to person on which is better. Some people will pay for a gym membership and never use it, others will force themselves to go so they don't feel like they're wasting money. I started running last summer to help me get into shape. It's an activity that didn't require any startup costs and it was beneficial enough to my health that I've kept it up. I'm not a fan of lifting weights myself, so I prefer to find activities that I actually enjoy doing to keep me in shape. Running and swimming are both great examples, although I do have to pay if I want to go for a swim. My advice would be to start with a hobby you know you'll enjoy, and then branch out from there.

6. personaltraining profile image47
    personaltrainingposted 13 years ago

you can't always wait for motivation to strike, because you might be waiting a long time! Some times you have to force yourself to get started, and then after a few days or a week you're in the swing of it, you build momentum and suddenly you find yourself highly motivated to do more and more.

as for home vs gym... it just depends. Do whatever suits your schedule and lifestyle, and what you'll enjoy and stick to. Personally I love the gym but you can do a great workout at home without having to spend much money on equipment if you prefer.

7. rcrm89 profile image65
    rcrm89posted 12 years ago

A plan always helps and tracking and making yourself accountable is very important IMO.

There are various ways you can achieve this whether it is keep an online log of your training/diet on DailyBurn, competing with a peer, hiring a personal trainer, setting short term and long term goals and telling people about them.

For more see:

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-To-Motivate … o-Exercise

8. BayouDumbbells profile image57
    BayouDumbbellsposted 12 years ago

Look at your body in your bedroom mirror everyday. Think of yourself working out in front of your mirror sweating. Remind yourself how good you felt starting your days with exercises. It just takes a day to start and you would go on once you started.

Our days are full of distractions; your work, bills, parties, internet, parking tickets, lots and lots. All you need to do is just to remind that you want to work out a bit everyday.

Working out at home or gym depends on your needs and convenience. If you are more of a beginner, you might want an instructor to give you useful tips. Or you may want an apt environment for working out. Or you may want access to variety of tools.  In these cases, attending a gym could be a better choice.

If you have only a little time to spare for this, or are feeling shy about your physique or experience, or need a familiar and convenient environment, then working out at home could be a better choice.

9. profile image0
    trainer ben gamonposted 12 years ago

Think about the end result. think about where you want to be a week from now, a month from now, a year from now. what gets you out of bed every morning? how do you stay motivated? think positive and be driven, determined and disciplined!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)