jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

can i apply for unemployment if i quit my job due to a stressfull work envoirnme

1. profile image47
    jessiemullinsposted 7 years ago

can i apply for unemployment if i quit my job due to a stressfull work envoirnment.

I have documentation from my doctor that my job is making me physicaly sick.

2. eli grey profile image59
    eli greyposted 7 years ago

Well, i didn't have or need documentation. I wore my stress out on my sleeve. Everyone knew I had become foul tempered and just plain rude. It made me lazy and in the end, I was veiwed as the bad worker. It wasn't fair. I didnt apply for unemployment but I think you should at least try.

3. profile image0
    rndream09posted 7 years ago

Yes and no. Yes you can do it, but you are going to have to prove that the reason why you HAD to quit was because of over stress. Its hard, but doable. You can however, quit your job or (and mind you, it might sound bad) get fired. If you are under stress and get fired, you should get severance and you can file for unemployment.. Now, I'm not sure how it all works, but I've heard a few people who have actually done it. NOT MANY get away with it. But its been done!

Hope this helped.

4. Chaotic Chica profile image71
    Chaotic Chicaposted 7 years ago

A lot of it depends on where you live as some states are stricter than others.  The bottom line, though, is you will be made to prove it.  Often times that is easier said than done but it can be done.  The best route is to find out what information you will need to have with you and gather as much evidence as possible then give it a shot.  They may assess a penalty but you could still qualify.