jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

how do you overcome nervousness?

1. blbhhdcn profile image59
    blbhhdcnposted 7 years ago

how do you overcome nervousness?

especially when you sing infront of many people? I'm not shy, but when i'm on stage, I get nervous...

2. BennyTheWriter profile image71
    BennyTheWriterposted 7 years ago

Connect or "plug yourself in" to the lyrics of the song.  Imagine you're sharing an important message with a friend.  It's just a way of "talking," that's all!  That takes some of the pressure off of the "performance" aspect.  But if you are concerned about your performance/delivery/artistry, etc., just think of terms of "speaking" the message as clearly and as articulately as you can. Just as if you were talking to someone and you really wanted them to understand where you're coming from. 

When I'm playing piano, I sometimes employ that mindset.  I think in terms of crafting a "message."  I'm NOT there to be judged; I'm simply there to be heard. 

I'm writing this off the top of my head, but I hope it makes sense and helps!

3. SxECreator profile image61
    SxECreatorposted 7 years ago

When singing in front of people, it's ok to be nervous, the fact is you cannot show the viewers that you are. they are there so you can give them a show. One thing ive been taught about on-stage peforming is focusing your attention on someone or something, and sing whatever youre singing to it or him/her. whatever emotion you feel while singing let the emotion take you over but keep your voice intact. dont worry what others are gonna think while your singing to whatever it is, they are there to hear you, not see whatever youre gonna sing to. and no matter what you should always expect a good aplause when singing because you were the one with the galls and guts to get up there and perform

4. jasoncox83 profile image74
    jasoncox83posted 7 years ago

Best answer is to face your fears up front..Only after facing them can you over come them.

5. Dorothee-Gy profile image69
    Dorothee-Gyposted 7 years ago

Actually, you might want to check out a few of the hubs I wrote about EFT, a highly effective method to overcome all kinds of negative emotions, amongst them fear and anxiety. Check it out and if it worked, post your comment on the article to inspire others.

Should you need more in-depth work on this, I also do consultations...

6. fucsia profile image61
    fucsiaposted 7 years ago

I take a deep breath and think that nothing of catastrophic can happen!