jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Why are so many American troops committing suicide?

1. Daniel J. Neumann profile image61
    Daniel J. Neumannposted 7 years ago

Why are so many American troops committing suicide?

With all due respect to the men who serve to protect us, what's happening? Does anyone care? This is the longest war in US history... and it's ugly.

2. Tusitala Tom profile image65
    Tusitala Tomposted 7 years ago

This is a very serious question to ask.   The answers needs to come from people who are genuinely concerned in finding out why.   One thing that is recongized though.   Many a soldier from many a war has committed suicide on their return to their peacetime existence.   Here, in Australia, the suicide rate from returning Vietnam War veterans was high, I'm led to believe.

Post traumatic stress is something which can build up gradually over time.   A veteran returns home.   He appears to be at a loss about how to live now.   He might choose to wander the world.   Or escape from it with alcohol or drugs.   He might work his way through it and come out a wiser, better adjusted human being.  Then again, he might not.   

Asking a man (or woman) to go away and to kill people (and that's what the bottom line is) who they don't know and who have never done anything personal to them, is asking a man to become a 'legal murderer.'   This is sanctioned by government decree.  But in the deep subconscious of the man who has to do the actual killing, things don't always sit well.

Still, as long as governments can get young, immature people to go out and do this sort of thing for them, whilst they stay at home and play loyal patriarch, it will continue.

3. Apostle Jack profile image60
    Apostle Jackposted 7 years ago

When you don't have anywhere else to turn.Negativity takes over and cause you to do something drastic.Depression is another.
    FEAR ,BAD NEWS FROM HOME,OR NOT HAVING ENUFF GOD in your life that can cause you to stand in the face of opposition .
    It's a sad thing.Yet....it will never cease until the 2nd coming.For some it will get better and better.But for others it shall get worse and worse.

4. medor profile image63
    medorposted 7 years ago

they lack HOPE and they suffer from ptsd... not a good combination they need love and nurturing and a very good support group and therapist...
    supporting our troops in a real thing...
    love is a verb and they need it badly...
    they need friends and loved ones support and understanding...
    and maybe even a little hospitality for a month, or a year, or a decade...

5. Jonesy0311 profile image61
    Jonesy0311posted 6 years ago

I have seen suicides in every unit that I have ever served in. For starters, there is absolutely no psychological screening process for entrance into the military. Moreover, the infantry is the easiest occupation to get into. I could not possibly list all of the reasons. Alcoholism is rampant and many do not have a family anywhere near them for support. There is also the feeling of being trapped by the contract and knowing that you cannot get out until your enlistment is up. And if you do get out early, you are looked down upon as though you couldn't hack it. Also, the support for combat veterans returning from overseas is abysmal (I am speaking of my own experiences). Basically, once the unit gets home, you just wait to see how many DWIs and suicides you will have. I have deployed twice and never once did I speak to a counselor or undergo any form of screening for PTSD until years after I left the military.

6. PoliticsNOW profile image74
    PoliticsNOWposted 6 years ago

Not only Suicide but killing others as well.  They are trained to hold it all in and not talk to someone.  They come home and turn to booze and drugs and then at the wrong time their real feeling come out and they act on them.

working