jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)

They say that life begins at 40. Agree or disagree?

1. richtwf profile image60
    richtwfposted 7 years ago

They say that life begins at 40. Agree or disagree?

2. triosol profile image58
    triosolposted 7 years ago

Yes I fully agree with this statement.

3. sofs profile image83
    sofsposted 7 years ago

Sure do, you are kind of established and now have an identity and direction in life , a little more time for self and pursuing passions, more mature in relationships all work together for you at 40 .. cant wait to get there ... can you????             smile smile

4. leni sands profile image74
    leni sandsposted 7 years ago

I agree with sofs about the maturity at 40 and the being more established and directional but I disagree that life begins at 40.

I think it must begin when you finally retire but if they keep putting the retirement age up that will never be.

I must say that as I approached 40 I looked forward to life beginning - it didn't!  It stayed the same as ever, all work, some play when I had the time, same old struggles, same old pleasures...and as I approach 50 - it is no different.  Perhaps if I won the lottery???

On a similar point I believe that 'life is what you make it', what you put into it you will eventually get out of it.  Enjoy work, enjoy rest, enjoy play - enjoy life and eventually enjoy retirement!

5. cblack profile image66
    cblackposted 7 years ago

Everyday I dread the next because I know I will be getting a little bit older and a little closer to death. I have never heard that life begins at 40 before but thanks for the optimism. Really. It has made me feel a little better about aging.

6. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 7 years ago

I've heard this before but think life begins at 50...
    careers are already established and family has grown up and hopefully the kids are out of the house by then.
    so maybe life begins for some at 40 but I think it's more like 50..

7. m920621m profile image77
    m920621mposted 7 years ago

Disagree! Why to wait for 40s if you can start living right now? I mean, you may not even live up to 40s so why put so much at risk?

8. Jay Louidor profile image60
    Jay Louidorposted 7 years ago

I agree. Life can be appreciated and enjoyed far more with the wisdom and maturity gained by 40.

9. Ruchira profile image75
    Ruchiraposted 7 years ago

Agree...Physically there are a lot of changes happening when one turns 40.
    Emotionally, a human is more stable and matured by 40.

10. Tusitala Tom profile image61
    Tusitala Tomposted 7 years ago

I think we expand into life for the first forty or so years.  The remaining years are when we begin to evaluate the progress of our lives.   I see it as an upward curve, then a curve that comes gradually downwards - I'm talking about adventurous, outgoing activity here.

You could say we 'make our mistakes' and then we analyse how and where we can improve in the second half of our lives.

My last big adventure occurred at forty,when I was selected to go on an Antarctic expedition.   I returned home at 41.  After that, it was routine office-type work, the learning of communications skills, teaching what I knew, et cetera.   

So one half of life beings at birth; the other half around forty.

11. Mr.Moonlight profile image58
    Mr.Moonlightposted 7 years ago

If it begins at 40, it surely begins to end at 50. From 50 on, it's a downward spiral.