jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

If you knew you would live to be 200 years old, would you take better care of yo

1. couturepopcafe profile image61
    couturepopcafeposted 7 years ago

If you knew you would live to be 200 years old, would you take better care of yourself and your...

environment?

2. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 7 years ago

I think there is a risk a lot of people would party more actually. (Knowing how much time you have allows you to plan better.)
    Maybe at age 100 a person may decide to hit the gym, become a vegetarian, or do whatever.
    Some people might do the opposite and let it rip at age 180 knowing they only have 20 years to live.
    A lot would depend on what 200 would be like. If being 200 was equivalent to being 80 or 90 today then being a 100 would be equivalent to being 50.
    If anything I think I would probably make the adjustment and add more years of risk taking, eating whatever I wanted, partying into the wee hours of the morning and so on.

Guarantees tend to encourage more risky behavior. A person who gets paid for sick leave is likely to take more days off than a person who does not get paid. A person living on a large trust fund is likely to splurge more often than someone living paycheck to paycheck. I think it's human nature that the more we have the more we waste.

What makes life precious is knowing it could end at any moment.
    "Tomorrow is not promised to any man"
    By not knowing when you might die you have to make the most of everyday.

3. couturepopcafe profile image61
    couturepopcafeposted 7 years ago

Good point, Dash.  I guess we could also still get hit by a bus anytime.  The only thing I would change about your answer is that "The future is promised to every man!" L

4. eilander1542011 profile image60
    eilander1542011posted 7 years ago

Sadly enough I am to the point in my life where if I take any better care of myself I probably will reach 200. As far as he environment goes, I am that person you see carrying empty water bottles around because I cannot find a recycling bin, only trash cans. The way I look at is that 200 years old is the effect, not the cause. IF you wanna live to be 200, then take steps to make it happen, it is possible, just nobody has discovered how to do it yet. Getting to the age of 200 is the effect of leading a good and healthy life, body, mind, soul, and nature. It is not the cause of living a proper life.

working