A Writing Challenge...

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (44 posts)
  1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 7 years ago

Here is an idea I've been pondering lately--it may be a symptom of growing older, now that I'm only about a year and a half from turning 70, and therefore knowing that my life is at least half or more over, given the general longevity statistics for this day and age.

I would love to see others' take on the theme:

If you had a means to know the exact date and cause of your death, would you want to know?  Why or why not?

Answer here, or make a hub; your choice.

1. kenneth avery profile image79
      kenneth averyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Dzy,
      I may be a 'maverick' here in my opinion, but  yes, I would like to know the exact time, day and hour of my demise.
      And I prop that up with this explanation: if I did not know the exact moment of my departure, I would continue on as I am in human form apt to making mistakes both serious and laughable and hurt others although I do not go around planning on whom to hurt and how each day.
      I guess it is all about the human existence.
      But . . .if I knew when I would leave this life, I might devote a lot of time to being helpful to others. Maybe a bit kinder and patient as well.
      Of course during this time I would be praying almost continuously in order to have my affairs in order with My Maker when that sand runs down from the hourglass of my life.
      That is what I would hope to do.
      (Nice question, Dzy)  smile

1. lobobrandon profile image88
        lobobrandonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Shouldn't you be doing that everyday and not just your last days? Just a thought.

@lobobrandon, I just logged into this post and yes, you are so right. I should have said that I would do the things I mentioned with a Lot More Intensity.
          Thanks for the input.

2. profile image0
      threekeysposted 7 years agoin reply to this

For me, Dzy? No. It would become like a curse. Just like when a Dr gives a medical hex when h/she tells you, you have 3 months to live etc. No man has the place or right to play God in another's or frighten them to their own death.  I feel you will know. And when you know, its within your own natural rhythm and cycle of life. And when you know? You will more than likely be ready to accept your long given rest. NO ONE knows except YOU, Dzy. Trust yourself. And...while I don't exactly know or don't know...just maybe you will be coming back...I would like to believe in reincarnation....what about you Dzy?

DzyMsLizzyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I am inclined to believe in reincarnation, though I don't believe in deities.

@Dzy, I cannot see myself believing in reincarnation for this one reason: Can you, in your logical way of thinking, to say nothing about common sense, ever think that our world could stand another ME?

1. bravewarrior profile image89
            bravewarriorposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You wouldn't be reincarnated as yourself, Kenneth. There would be no reason to die if you were to come back as yourself.

@bravewarrior,
              Touche' and although this was not a fencing match, my response was only a question. I now will tell you whom I would love to be IF there exists this recincarnation.
              I would like to come back as: Emmett Kelley, to me, "THE" Clown Master. Why? Look at all of the children and even adults his life touched and maybe for only a few minutes, I look at the section of people who carried on his gentle ways,  clean humor and down-right good heart.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
                Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

But the point of reincarnation is that you wouldn't come back as anyone who's currently living, you'd come back as a brand new person with a brand new life.

@Marisa, it goes without saying that you know more about this subject than I do, but from what I have read from grounded, established, educated people on the reincarnation thing, the soul that lived in Kelly's body was dispensed to live again in another person, so why couldn't my soul be dispensed to live in his body the second or third time?
                  I know that I am wrong. You do not have to point that out to me.
                  I just felt drawn in and weak to comment on this controversial topic.

I'm not an expert but my understanding is that it's the soul that is reincarnated. Bodies are just vessels and are new each time.  So Kelly's body would never be reused and his life would never be relived.

His soul would get the chance to live an entirely new life and so would yours, in totally new bodies.

Though by the nature of it, we are all guessing!

3. PegCole17 profile image93
      PegCole17posted 7 years agoin reply to this

This is an interesting and provocative topic, MsLizzy

Today I visited my Aunt Louise who turned 96 last April. She has lived in a skilled nursing home for the past two years due to health and memory issues. Still, she has a kind heart, a loving spirit and a thoughtful approach to life. Her doctor tells her that not many people her age have it as well.
      She is frustrated with the physical inabilities she now faces. She is unable to cut her own food, or shower or toilet without help, as she is unable walk or see much of anything due to macular degeneration. She's confined to a wheelchair and often says she wishes she could see and that she could still walk. She was once a ballroom dancer that competed in dance contests internationally. Twelve years ago when her older sister was put into a nursing home, Louise said she never wanted to be in a place like that. Yet, time moves on and our abilities and self sufficiency diminishes with age.

Her situation inspires me to make the most of every day and treat it as if it were my very last. Not that I always live up to that challenge. She inspires me to have gratitude for the simple things in life that most of us take for granted, like preparing a simple meal or getting out of bed without assistance.

And to answer the question, no, I don't think I would want to know the exact moment of my departure. We must be prepared to meet our maker at any moment and live a life every day that will reflect the kind of person that we hope to be remembered as.

@Peg,
        Very touching and very moving. To be honest, this would make for a fantastic hub.

1. PegCole17 profile image93

Thank you, Kenneth. That's very kind.

@Peg, unless I am doing a comical post or hub, I am serious. And I was serious with this comment to you. Your post has many learning/teaching points in the text as well as a healthy view of life.
            Again, I was serious.
            At least think about it.

2. Chriswillman90 profile image92
        Chriswillman90posted 7 years agoin reply to this

This made me so sad because it's a testament of a powerful mind that wants to do everything but physically can't. Being able to live to that age is an amazing feat as well. If anyone refuses to make the most out of life then they need to read this post.

Agreed this would make a great hub.

It is amazing, Chris. She is an amazing person with a sweet spirit. Can you imagine all she's seen in her lifetime? She was born in 1920. Thanks for the kind thoughts.

1. profile image0
            threekeysposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Yes I agree with Chris Sue in that it must be so hard for your Aunt in having a Will of Mind and Heart, yet the body is letting her down. I wonder Peg, if you ever thought about creating a legacy for her and you (and loved ones). What about videoing her as you ask her about the escapades in her life. How she handled them....what kind of beliefs guided her througout her life...if there was one piece of advice she would like to give, what would that be....it would be a great legacy, Peg

3. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

I agree with the others, Peg; your reply would make a superb Hub!

Thanks so much, Dzy. Sometime ago I wrote a hub on a variation of this topic and called it "Family Decisions." It was primarily about Louise's older sister, Helen. The kind words about this post have inspired me to work on a new hub about Louise. Again, thank you. I'm always looking for a writing challenge!

BTW, the photo of my Mother with a (certified visitation) dog that comes to the nursing home is my most often saved/shared pin on Pinterest.

I look forward to your new Hub!  smile 

As to Pinterest, I have mixed feelings about it.  I guess I mainly use it to bookmark things I want to look at later, as I have pretty much nothing in common with those who follow my boards...they seem to mostly post about fashion, shoes, etc. and junk crafts, and I'm not into any of that. 

My most often shared pin is one I posted from another site, and it's a recipe for an unusual party snack.  Go figure.  None of my own stuff gets any shares, so I quit bothering to post anymore.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

You're turning 70 and you know your life is half over?   Gosh, MsLizzy, you're optimistic!

I think age does change your perspective. I can understand younger people not wanting to know. 

But I'm in my 60's now.  I can be pretty certain that my life is at least two-thirds over.  Judging by my parents, I have about 20 years left.  For that reason, knowing the date of my death wouldn't scare me, because I know it can't be that far distant, no matter when it is.

So yes, I would like to know.  One of the main things that holds me back in life, is not knowing how long I have.  If I discovered I was going to live till 95, I would have to go on managing my money carefully so my retirement nest egg lasts and I don't wind up destitute.   If I found out I had only 10 years, I'd throw caution to the winds and be off touring the world!

1. tsmog profile image85
      tsmogposted 7 years agoin reply to this

1+++++

2. WordCrafter09 profile image66
      WordCrafter09posted 7 years agoin reply to this

"You're turning 70 and you know your life is half over?   Gosh, MsLizzy, you're optimistic!"
      lol   lol   lol

For some reason, as I came looking for something to read here, I wasn't expecting to get such a laugh as I scrolled down this thread.   Appreciated the laugh

3. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

lol Marisa!  Weeeelll... I did say, 'half or more over...' 

Seriously...the thought of turning 70 does have me thinking more and more often of my mortality, especially since my parents and most of my ancestors and other assorted relatives passed in their 70s somewhere, with a few rare exceptions.  (That's not counting a couple of them who took themselves out before they might have passed from their ailments.)

Sooo...even though they say we are living longer these days, I'm not sure I will enjoy entering my 70s.  But bucket lists don't count for me, anyway; I haven't the budget for travel.  I'll have to visit all those places after the fact in the form of a spectre.  lol

3. SimeyC profile image87
    SimeyCposted 7 years ago

It's one of the most intriguing questions of all time. I guess what I'd have to think about is would it change my life. I think it's important to go through life making mistakes so that I learn. If I knew when I was going to die, would I be more focused on life and make less mistakes - and if so - would I then learn less?

I also wonder if I'd become obsessed with trying to change the date of my death - so I probably wouldn't want to know!

Interesting, Simey--
        You know, your response reminds me of a movie I once saw (don't ask me to recall the title).  It took place in the Victorian era, and involved time travel.  (It may have been one of several variations on Jules Verne's "Time Machine" story.

At any rate, a young couple is in a park in winter, and getting engaged, and just as she accepts the ring, a robber comes by and shoots her in the back!
        The heartbroken beau goes back in time, and makes sure she is across the street, and attempts to tackle the robber, and he looks up just in time to see a business sign fall and land on his beloved, killing her.
        He tries again, and this time, she is run over by a runaway horse and carriage.

So the message there seems to be,  when your time is up, it's up, and you're going to go, by whatever means...  wink

4. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 7 years ago

I, for one, would not want to know my exact date and cause of my life's end. This information would make me a nervous wreck and ruin the remaining days for me.
    Yes, some people may see this as a good option to know ,but what is you had a  type of cancer or other disease that lasted for years, causing great pain and misery?

5. Chriswillman90 profile image92
    Chriswillman90posted 7 years ago

Wouldn't knowing the exact cause and date of death create a paradox? If you knew what it was then couldn't you change things. This in turn would constantly shift said cause making it impossible to know the true reason/time of death.

Interesting...and yes, somewhat of a paradox.  Go back and read the reply I just posted today (12-2-16) to SimeyC. http://hubpages.com/health/forum/138994 … ost2857914

It addresses this very issue....  wink

6. earner profile image83
    earnerposted 7 years ago

It's something you can't really answer until you know that.

For a few it'd give them chance to tidy things up, visit people one last time, do a bucket list.  For others it'd just cause them great misery and anxiety and a huge sense of loss.

In a way it's good to go without warning/suffering .... rather than lingering.  On the other hand, it's nice to know you'll have the chance to get your affairs in order etc.

We all live as if we're immortal.

I think I'd like to know "you'll be fine until you're at least 90", but to discover "it's next week, you'll be murdered" wouldn't be good.

If I knew it was in the next 10 years I'd not be here writing guff on the Internet smile  I'd be off down the pub for a pie.

7. profile image0
    Bob Bambergposted 7 years ago

Interesting question, Lizzy.  I turned 70 this year and am giving a lot of thought to my mortality.  I'm with Marisa right up until she says she'd want to know.  I wouldn't.  If I knew, I'd obsess on it and wouldn't enjoy the rest of my days.  I'm approaching the end of my life in happy oblivion. 

My Mom died at age 62 and my Dad died either 10 or 12 years later.  I'm the next to the youngest of 9 children.  I have one brother who died at 62 and a sister who died at age 74.  I've got 3 sibs in their 80's and they're as lucid as can be...two others are in their late 70's and they've still got all their marbles, too.  I have one sister 4 years younger than me and we both still have all our marbles. 

I figure I've got 10 to 15 good years left, which I'll spend enjoying family (especially my two grandchildren) and just keeping out of everyone's way.  I just don't want to be a burden on anyone.  If I can't feed myself, I don't want to be alive.  God, this is all so morbid!!!!  smile

I can understand why you wouldn't want to know.  You're settled in a happy life - if someone said you were going to die next year, you wouldn't change a thing about how you're living now.   So there's no benefit in knowing.

I have no family to settle down with, so sitting quietly at home holds no attraction.   My old age will be spent enjoying experiences to the full - as far as I can afford it. And there's the rub.   If I'm going to live till I'm 90, then I must ration those experiences so my money will last as long as I do.   If I've only got 10 years left, though, I would be able to take advantage of every experience life has to offer.  So knowing would make a big difference to me.

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

Bob--My dad lived to be 79, my mother, 76.  Most of my ancestors, aunts and uncles lived to about that age, some to be 80.  I had one great-grand aunt who died at the ripe old age of 90-something, but most of the family went somewhere in their 70's.  So I approach turning 70 with some trepidation....

1. profile image0
        Bob Bambergposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Lizzy, let's make a date to re-visit this topic in 2026.  I'll be interested in how you're doing!

You got it--if I'm still here, or haven't descended into total senility.  wink

8. profile image57
    Keighley Speightsposted 7 years ago

I would not want to know the exact date and reason for my death in the future. You only have one life, and you choose whether or not to live it to the fullest. If I knew when and how I died I would never do anything pertaining to the reason I died, and in the end I would regret it.

9. Misty Mason profile image60
    Misty Masonposted 7 years ago

I would not want to know because then I would worry with everything I do.  A good reason to know is at least you will be able to say goodbye to your family and friends.

10. Perspycacious profile image64
    Perspycaciousposted 7 years ago

My wife's grandfather knew the day and the hour and the story is told here in Once Upon A Throne.

I'd love to read it, but did not find it upon visiting your page.

If you feel so inclined, send me the link via the HP e-mail system.

11. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 7 years ago

As of today (11-30-16),  I see there are a lot of very interesting and well-thought-out responses here, and I appreciate seeing everyone's take on the matter.  They've all given good reasons for feeling as they do, on either side of the question.

For myself, I have mixed feelings.  Part of me says, "Yes, I want to know," and part of me would be afraid to know.  The 'yes' part would be more motivated to sort and toss unneeded items and get rid of extraneous paperwork so the family won't have to deal with it on my passing. 
    That's my definition of 'getting my affairs in order.'  As an atheist, I'm not concerned with any 'maker' or 'judgement,' but I do believe the soul/energy/spirit (whatever you want to call the life force that is within our flesh and blood) does go on, and I'm inclined to believe in reincarnation.

I'm a typical Pisces: swimming in two directions at once, and always second-guessing myself.  lol

12. Venkatachari M profile image83
    Venkatachari Mposted 7 years ago

Very interesting discussion. I came across it just now by chance. There are many nice and thoughtful comments here with some reasonable and entertaining points.
    But, I may not like to know the exact date and place or cause of my death. It should occur naturally with no ponderings over it in advance. One should be always ready to face it and with some good preparation, even though it may not be possible in most cases.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)