jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Can we really give up our salt intake? I just love foods that have taste... and

1. Darknlovely3436 profile image83
    Darknlovely3436posted 7 years ago

Can we really give up our salt intake?
    I just love foods that have taste...
    and most of the...

time i usually add  a dash of salt to most of my favourite food.....

2. yazoogal43 profile image37
    yazoogal43posted 7 years ago

You don't have to give up salt. Salt is vital to homeostasis and electrolyte production. If you have high blood pressure or cholersterol, you may wish to use sea salt. You can safely use tablesalt, just be modest in application and suppliment taste with Mrs Dash.

3. justom profile image68
    justomposted 7 years ago

Mrs. Dash, what the hell is everyone's fixation for that crap? Go to the spice store and buy fresh spices and you won't even miss salt!

4. mandyf profile image65
    mandyfposted 7 years ago

We use sea salt in out home things like mrs dash usually leave some sort of after taste and salt substitutes taste funny but sea salt tastes just like regular table salt with out the hazards of high sodium msg and other things that table salt affects

5. joleenruffin profile image57
    joleenruffinposted 7 years ago

If you need to cut back on salt, slowly wean yourself. Start by not adding salt to your meal at the table. Then start using less and less in your cooking. Eventually you won't even miss it!

6. Rosie2010 profile image75
    Rosie2010posted 7 years ago

I hate bland foods... instead of salt, you can use spices to flavour your food.  But you don't have to give up salt all together, you just have have to moderate your salt intake.  To start with, stop dashing salt to your favourite foods.  I assume those foods already have salt in them.  I hope this helps.

7. C.V.Rajan profile image79
    C.V.Rajanposted 7 years ago

Excessive fear about salt is injurious to the health of the tongue!

8. profile image0
    Butch Newsposted 7 years ago

Your body needs salt.  Sea salt provides a wider variety of salts than common table salt.

If you eat prepared foods it's already overloaded with salt so you don't need extra.

You may be addicted to salt and weaning yourself off by reducing the amount is good for you.

Keep trying other spices to replace the salt taste until you find something you like... but don't get addicted to sugar to replace salt.

A craving for salt may mean you aren't getting enough fluids so make sure you are drinking enough fluids in the form of water, milk, coffee, tea, but avoid soda drinks as they are addicting and not healthy.

9. onceuponatime66 profile image60
    onceuponatime66posted 7 years ago

Good question, if a doctor says to cut back to that, especially if you are a woman.  I am type 0 blood type and our blood type is ok for salt intake.  There is a book on how to eat for your blood type, not sure the author but it's really great to say what to eat and what to avoid.

working