jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Should Debbie Simpson, the woman who is purposely trying to become the world's f

1. Bel Marshall profile image60
    Bel Marshallposted 7 years ago

Should Debbie Simpson, the woman who is purposely trying to become the world's fattest woman...

alive be allowed to continue without authorities stepping in for her or her children ages 14 and 3.
    Her behavior has scientific proof that it is dangerous to her health and can be fatal.
    What are your thoughts on this woman being given celebrity versus mental health help?

2. Donna Janelle profile image73
    Donna Janelleposted 7 years ago

I believe that everyone should have the freedom to do what they chose with their life...but this is just insane!! It is so sad that she will probably die before one or both of her kids are out of highschool. I feel sorry for her children and think that she is being incredibly selfish to act the way she is.

3. jzepess profile image61
    jzepessposted 7 years ago

As terrible as it is to me that she lives her life this way, is it really any different than someone who smokes?  Or someone who drinks every day?  Those people are being just as damaging to society, themselves, and their kids as Debbie is.  And, all three are "legal". 
    Yes, its sad, but it would be a double standard to hold her accountable for her actions without applying those rules to many others.
    Instead, we should handle her the way we would handle a smoker.  We can only try to make her see that her diet will not lead to a happy or comfortable life and is negatively affecting her children.  Ultimately, she has to make the choice to change.  Nobody can force her into change.

4. Rob Hanlon profile image60
    Rob Hanlonposted 7 years ago

What difference would it make whether this woman did it on purpose or it just turned out that way - the outcome would be the same.

Nobody is told how to live their life, but as you point out - there may be mental as well as physical health issues to consider. Ithis woman is a danger to herself, then I'm sure her situation is being monitored by the relevant authorities.

I could think of better ways to achieve 'celebrity status' than being grossly overweight.

5. Right On Time profile image63
    Right On Timeposted 7 years ago

Didn't she pass away?                                                                         .

6. FloBe profile image82
    FloBeposted 7 years ago

Donna Simpson is glorifying behavior that is the root of a health epidemic in North America. While people choose to smoke, they know that it is bad for their health and find it difficult to quit. She doesn't want to quit and seems to think it is a joke to reach 1000 lbs. Lots of people choose behavior that is not the "best" choice for their health at times, but they usually strive to become better people and don't aspire to becoming unhealthy. It seems strange to me how someone would choose to endanger their health when they have two wonderful children to stay alive and healthy for. Is fame that much of an attraction? Is the attention the root of the addiction? I don't understand why someone would make this choice.

7. lisa42 profile image67
    lisa42posted 7 years ago

It's sad that anyone would want to do this for fame, especially when she has small children at home. Let's just hope the dad is healthier and can take care of the kids after she dies.