Is goiter a lifetime diseased?

1. profile image46
    cabalquinto katteposted 7 years ago

Is goiter a lifetime diseased?

does goiter can cause enlargement of the heart?

2. Larry R Miller profile image61
    Larry R Millerposted 6 years ago

First, let me say I'm sorry it took so long to answer.  We house sit for various people where we live and have been in the process of moving from one place to the next.  I am not an endocrinologist but from my research it appears that goiter is a lifetime problem.  It also appears it can be controlled from growing larger with certain types of medication.  Surgery looks to be the only way to shrink it in size.  I hope this is helpful.

3. Nadeeshan301 profile image74
    Nadeeshan301posted 6 years ago

To begin with the answer to your question - goiter is a life time disease in some but not all!!
    Goiter is an enlargement of the thyroid gland usually due to the effect of a hormone called TSH. The cause for high TSH may be excessive secretion from the pituitary gland tumour or else where but usually is due to inadequate function of the thyroid gland to meet the demand for thyroxine.
    This demand may go up in puberty (adolescence), pregnancy and certain disease conditions. The goiters which come up in such instances usually resolve at the end of such a demanding period. Also goiters formed due to lack of hormone production by the gland can be corrected at initial stages (if recognized) by replacement of thyroxine.
    Once a goiter develops, again the size can be reduced by high dose thyroxine and iodine therapy. Ablation of the gland with radio active iodine is also an option.
    Finally, if the goiter is too problematic, surgery becomes an option.
    To answer your second question - not the goiter but low or high thyroxine can cause enlargement of the heart in many different mechanisms. (dilated cariomyopathy in hypothyroidism, high output cardiac failure in hyperthyroidism) - for more information on enlargement of the heart you can go through my hubs on heart failure.

working