jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Is it unprofessional to cry in front of your Boss in your workplace?

1. Darknlovely3436 profile image82
    Darknlovely3436posted 7 years ago

Is it unprofessional to cry in front of your Boss in your workplace?

According to the expert, the one who want to sell their books, said that crying at work is not acceptable, what do you all think?

2. NateSean profile image74
    NateSeanposted 7 years ago

I think it highly depends on the cirumstances. If you're shedding crocodile tears, as in crying because you know you're in trouble and you want to worm your way out of it, then yes I would say that is niether professional or acceptable.

But we can't always control our emotions, or compose ourselves until the circumstances are acceptable. If someone closed to you dies and you get this information while you're at work, I'm not going to hold it against if you break down while you're sitting at your desk.

3. ChristineVianello profile image61
    ChristineVianelloposted 7 years ago

Oh goodness....

The other day at work one of the doctor's I work for yelled at me in front of everyone. I would of understood if I did something worng. But it was infact his mistake. I was very upset and embarrassed. I cried my eyes out in front of my boss. She could care less about me being upset and crying. That is just how she is; if someone cries in front of her, she can not handle it.

4. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 7 years ago

We can't always control it, but if at all possible save the waterworks for the restroom.  If you have been unjustly treated, or accused of something at work that you did not do--compose yourself and then have a talk with the boss(es). 

I do feel that crying at work unless there is some kind of horrendous news is inappropriate and unprofessional.

5. NJ's Ponderings profile image80
    NJ's Ponderingsposted 7 years ago

Oh my goodness, absolutely! But, I am the type of person who looks at crying as a weakness. I remember having one boss who told me there was nothing wrong with showing emotions. He even admitted to crying in public, and here he was in administration! Wow, that blew my mind! Strangely, though, he did not lose any respect from me. I just wrote it off as an idiosyncrasy. Since then my perspective has changed a bit, but, bottom line, I still think you lose all kinds of points if you break down and cry in front your boss. You are no longer considered as a strong person. Great question!!

working