Will obesity ever end?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (18 posts)
  1. nightwork4 profile image62
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

Will obesity ever end?

i don't mean will everone become skinny, I hope not but will people start to at least try to be somewhat healthy as far as weight is concerned? skinny is no better then fat in my eyes but there is a limit to what is healthy and what isn't.

2. profile image0
    Dandraposted 7 years ago

Nope. People don't exercise and eat processed food instead of making food from scratch.

Then there are the "calorie freaks" or the "protein drink freaks".  They're basically anaemic bodies with muscle attached.

3. Lady In NC profile image38
    Lady In NCposted 7 years ago

I would like to see everyone healthy & comfortable ,however that isn't my decission  .It will take a person's own choice to eat healthy & exercise or not . No the GOVERNMENTS decission either.. Adults would have to be the role models for youth , as in eating heathy , fixing healthy meals , being active and turning the TV/ Video Games off a few hours a day .
    This was good question nightwork4

4. Seakay profile image60
    Seakayposted 7 years ago

Actually, many low income people are overweight because they can't afford to buy nutritional food.  When you can't eat right due to economic factors, you are going to be overweight.  People in this category, I believe, must bypass vegetables and high protein foods in order to get enough to eat.  Unfortunately, the food that fills them up comes from calories and carbs.

5. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 7 years ago

If it were easy, believe me no one would choose obesity. Try to imagine looking out at the world and seeing lovely slender people and know that in order for you to be like that, you will be hungry all the time.

It is not as simple as slender people think.  Believe me, I have been both slender and obese.

It is unfair to characterize all obese people as TV, fast food junkies.

6. Teresa Vieira profile image60
    Teresa Vieiraposted 7 years ago

I think not. Because I have heard many comments that with this global crisis the rate of obesity has increased. People have less purchasing power and therefore they are eating less well.

7. 61MT profile image40
    61MTposted 7 years ago

No, it's probably not going to end.  The problem is that people like to eat.  Food companies could help us out a little bit, but some people just have a big sweet tooth.

8. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 7 years ago

No I don't think so.
    Not everyone who is obese is unhappy with their weight. Take note of all of the BBW and "chubby chaser" dating websites.
    Today we have numerous options from 24 hour gyms, diet meals, diet pills, detox plans, health awareness education outlets, as well as gastric by-pass surgeries as options.
    And yet obesity in America is at an all time high!

The only way to get rid of obesity is to take away our choices! (No one wants that!)
    Living in a free society each of us has the right to eat at as many buffets, devour as much fast food, cakes/pies, ice cream, candy, snacks, soda, and alcohol as we want!
    Everyone CHOOSES what they eat.
    We either make working out a priority or we don't.  It's all choice.
    Having said that it wouldn't hurt if a salad with water were as cheap as buying a junk food combo.

Today a nice size "organic tomato" can run you $2.99, For the same price you could get 2 McDoubles, 1 small fry, and 1 small soda (with free refills). Someone on a tight buget is going to go with the $1 menu more often than not. The variety alone is worth it in their eyes.

Why should a salad cost more than a beef sandwich in fast food restaurants? When we go to a grocery store a head of lettuce is a lot less than a pound of ground beef, pork, or chicken.
    I'm fairly certain these large chains are getting a much better discount on veggies than we ever will.
    Having said that I still believe most people would opt to go with what "tastes best" to them instead of what may be most healthy.

9. edhan profile image59
    edhanposted 7 years ago

Yes, it will end.

When I was young, I tried my best to gain weight. But after a few years of trying so hard, I gave up.

A few years back, I discovered how we can gain weight as well as losing weight and the solution for me is so simple.

It is a matter of calculating the amount of calories intake. I take note of each calories of meat, fish, rice, etc that I am taking and by cutting down the total calories, I am able to reduce weight. I normally will eat around 2500 calories of food, so I cut it down to 2250 and for 1 month, I lost about 5 kgs.

10. surfcaster2010 profile image76
    surfcaster2010posted 7 years ago

I don't think it will ever end in America. It's just too pervasive and access is so easy to junk food. Eating healthy in this country is expensive and difficult to maintain. But in other countries, obesity may never exist as they just don't have enough.

11. Daffy Duck profile image61
    Daffy Duckposted 7 years ago

Yes.  As soon as our freedom of choice is abolished.  Until then it never will.  Instant satisfaction is what people want.

12. crazymom3 profile image79
    crazymom3posted 7 years ago

Probably not!! food is so so good! and as we age the fattiness stays longer.  Also for many women birth control is a necessity and weight gain is almost certain.

13. Denise Handlon profile image88
    Denise Handlonposted 7 years ago

Not unless people understand the manner in which they eat , what they eat, and why they eat; along with understanding how the food reacts to their bodies.  That may never end in our lifetime.

14. Charlu profile image80
    Charluposted 7 years ago

I doubt that it will ever end. In fact it will probably get worse before it gets better.  Food is a matter of choice that usually begins at an early age.  Ex: If you guys are good in the store I'll get you a happy meal on the way home.  I mean think about the name alone "Happy Meal" so when you eat this it makes you happy. We take away physical education in school, feed them hot dogs,pizza, and sugar for lunch and wonder why they're overweight or they become an overweight adult
    Food is given for rewards, sorrow, joyful occasions, etc.  You don't see a wedding with a wedding "salad" or a birthday salad  Then after a funeral what does everybody bring  FOOD  It's a multi trillion dollar industry.  Shoot McDonald's now buys there meat from Europe because it's cheaper and hardly any FDA regulations like in the US  Do you really think they're going to start serving organic fruit and vegetables?  A friend of mine and her daughters/twins just had gastric bypass surgery they eat 2-4 oz of food 4 or 5 times a day with no beverage allowed during 1/2hr before or after.  The doctor told them that's really all we as humans need everything else is psychological and promotional and they've never looked better  Imagine what would happen if we all ate like that.

15. daffodil2010 profile image72
    daffodil2010posted 7 years ago

i hope it will on the other hand it will be my death cause

16. Radamel profile image60
    Radamelposted 7 years ago

I don't think so it will end because consumption of fast food products increases day by day.

As the technology progresses, it seems impossible.

17. GusLe profile image38
    GusLeposted 7 years ago

Obesity occurs because of the cheap and large access to foods that have flavor profiles that we have evolved to sought out in nature, but were very hard to find. There is also speculation that synthetic nutrients (high fructose corn syrup usage as a replacement for sugar being the most well known) are causing our bodies to react negatively to the caloric intake. One way or another when we as a civilization will either advance to such a level that obesity does not pose a medical threat anymore and thus obesity will likely never entirely go away or we will develop a way to meet the caloric demands of the body with out over saturating it with unnecessary levels of nutrients that lead to obesity.

18. Wendy S. Wilmoth profile image76
    Wendy S. Wilmothposted 7 years ago

Not until it is treated as the medical issue it is and not some sort of moral failing. The plain fact is, that some people get hungry faster and stay hungry longer. The cause is somewhere deep in the brain, not the psyche. Until the medical establishment stops being in the pocket of the multi-billion dollar diet industry, no successful treatment will be developed.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)