jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do pinhole glasses actually improve vision?

1. NathanielZhu profile image73
    NathanielZhuposted 7 years ago

Do pinhole glasses actually improve vision?

All I find are success stories that seem unrealistic. I know the science behind this, but the main question is does it permanently improve vision, and I can't find a scientific explanation for this.

2. TheBlondie profile image58
    TheBlondieposted 7 years ago

I haven't heard much about them, but it seems to me like they would actually put stress on your eyes- you'd have to strain them to focus between the holes.

3. xanzacow profile image70
    xanzacowposted 7 years ago

Only while you are wearing them. To test, take a piece of paper and poke a small hole in it with a pencil tip or something about that size. Look through the hole with your worst eye. See how the object you are looking at clears up? Now take the paper away. Your vision is the same as it was.

4. Daughter Of Maat profile image96
    Daughter Of Maatposted 6 years ago

Yes they would help, but like xanzacow said, only when you wear them. The theory behind the pinhole is sound. I used it all the time when I would test a patient's vision (I'm an ophthalmic technician). We use the pinhole to determine if glasses will improve the vision. The theory behind the pinhole is that all the light rays are focused directly onto the macula (this is where your central and most focused vision is) and it blocks out any aberrations. It's best just to get a pair of glasses however, pinhole glasses will block a large part of your peripheral vision. But they won't strain your eyes simply because the pinhole is doing the focusing for you. Your eyes remain in a relaxed state.

working