Is sharing a toothbrush with someone unhealthy?

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 120 discussions (120 posts)
  1. J.S.Matthew profile image80
    J.S.Matthewposted 13 years ago

Is sharing a toothbrush with someone unhealthy?

2. jdavis88 profile image91
    jdavis88posted 13 years ago

Depends on how well you know the other person and how well you feel they stay healthy.  Definitely can pass colds back and forth.

3. kafsoa profile image63
    kafsoaposted 13 years ago

Sure it's unhealthy, as you brush your teeth sometimes your gum bleeds even if it was a tiny amount of blood. Many blood diseases can transfere on using someones toothbrush and one of the most dangerous diseases is virus C that might be there for years with no clear symptoms.

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 13 years ago

Well think about the brush getting in between someone's teeth, the scraps of food--maybe decayed food, and plaque being brushed away--and then stick that same brush in your own mouth.

The human mouth is full of germs--unless it was one of my closed family members--no I couldn't do it.  I don't even like to share a soda.

5. Tamila Roberts profile image39
    Tamila Robertsposted 13 years ago

Yea, definitely unhealthy. You could share mouth microbes and get more cavities. That means more visits to the dentist! If you really forced to do it then at least make it soak in alcohol first to kill the germs.

6. Emmeaki profile image61
    Emmeakiposted 13 years ago

It does seem unhealthy, although we don't think twice about kissing another person or putting our mouths in other places during intimate moments. Still, I would definitely not share a toothbrush with anyone.

7. Melissa.P profile image61
    Melissa.Pposted 13 years ago

It is unhealthy because it is a way to spread diseases. Not to mention super gross.

8. larry1987 profile image54
    larry1987posted 13 years ago

i cannot agree it any more, even this person is your lover, while every one should use his/her own toothbrush in order to avoid diseases.

9. Ashantina profile image61
    Ashantinaposted 13 years ago

......only as unhealthy as sharing someones underwear........

10. jacqui2011 profile image81
    jacqui2011posted 13 years ago

I think this is very unhealthy considering the amount of germs we harbour in our mouths. I just couldn't ever do it, regardless of how close the other person was to me.

11. Kamalesh050 profile image72
    Kamalesh050posted 13 years ago

Oh yes, It is very very much unhealthy. I can never share a toothbrush with anyone.

12. teresa-vivi profile image59
    teresa-viviposted 13 years ago

it is doubtlessly  unhealthy. But it doesn't matter if the one is your beloved.

13. BabyCheetah profile image67
    BabyCheetahposted 13 years ago

I'd say definitely. I wouldn't share my toothbrush with anyone yikes

14. mishdog profile image56
    mishdogposted 13 years ago

with a girl no, with a guy yes!

random point here, but did you know you are not supposed to rinse your mouth after brushing your teeth? You are meant to know leave the toothpaste on your teeth else its a waste of time!

15. profile image49
    Rof4yusufposted 13 years ago

It is healthy and at the same time unhealthy. Why it is healthy is, if the person has no sore in the mouth and also tested free of diseases such as mouth thrush and so on. But if otherwise please don't try it. diseases can be transmitted through that medium

16. lilian1 profile image61
    lilian1posted 13 years ago

I dont think people should share toothbrushes ...

17. ThelmaC profile image93
    ThelmaCposted 13 years ago

Absolutely unhealthy!  Not to mention disgusting.

18. darrenhooper profile image59
    darrenhooperposted 13 years ago

It is probably not the most healthful thing to do, but considering where else your mouth has been with that person....

19. Abie Taylor profile image61
    Abie Taylorposted 13 years ago

yes, it is! What if somebod didn't clean their brush out and all the pluaqe goes on your teeth? What a random question! Who whould say no?

20. MrsHernandez profile image58
    MrsHernandezposted 13 years ago

Yes, Imagine the amount of bacteria u can share on from doing that!

21. theprojectb profile image60
    theprojectbposted 13 years ago

Seriously it really depends, if one day I go to my girlfriends house and I forgot to bring my toothbrush, i'll just clean her toothbrush and brush my teeths anyways, but if it was anyone elses I would not do it, I don't know where their mouths have been, nor do I want to know.

22. LeeWalls profile image60
    LeeWallsposted 13 years ago

That's extremely unhealthy. That's gross. You should change your toothbrush every three months and if you get a sore throat, toss your toothbrush and get a new one.

23. profile image0
    deadlykingposted 13 years ago

its very ugly thing? some of husband & wife may be do this !!!!

24. David Warren profile image84
    David Warrenposted 13 years ago

YES it is VERY much a health risk, although I can admit my wife and I, on occasion, have done it anyway.

25. Christine P Ann profile image60
    Christine P Annposted 13 years ago

ohhhh grose absolutely! i would never do it, not even with my husband.

26. zob2zob profile image71
    zob2zobposted 13 years ago

Not the best idea, but my husband and I have often shared a hoiliday tooth brush (one just for that occasion)(he always forgets something) but always have sterilised it first, due to all the bacteria, when its late and only one of you have a toothbrush what else can you do?
    However extremely hot water, boiling if possible will stearilise, better than not cleaning your teeth!!

27. Airport-Parking profile image59
    Airport-Parkingposted 13 years ago

Well, sort of, but as some have already said, kissing someone is very much the same, found the following points regarding Kissing that can make sharing a toothbrush seem much less harmful!

- Kissing prevents cavities and plaque build-up by stimulating saliva production while preventing gingivitis through the calcium present in saliva.

- Kissing does its part to vaccinate people from new germs. Saliva contains bacteria, 80% of them are common to all people with 20% unique to each person. By sharing saliva with a partner, you are stimulating your immune system to respond to the different bacteria you are being exposed to. The result is that your immune system creates certain anti-bodies to these new bacteria, which in effect vaccinates you against these germs. This process is called cross-immunotherapy.

- Finally, you may not be surprised to know that kissing offers an express analysis of genetic compatibility. While you are kissing, your brain conducts instant chemical analysis of your partner’s saliva and issues a “verdict” of your genetic compatibility. Think about it. Don’t you know much more about what you like or don’t like in a person after one kiss? And kissing is much more fun than taking a relationship inventory!

28. profile image0
    JadedLoveposted 13 years ago

i dont think it matters once or twice, but i wouldnt share with every one night stand you have.....would get kinds crowded on the bristles.

29. profile image0
    Lesleysherwoodposted 13 years ago

Yes, its definitely unhealthy.  Regardless if that person is your child, husband, mother, who ever?  You would have to bleach your toothbrush to get rid of the bacteria that's left on it and what is okay for me isn't okay for someone else.  Its not about whether a person is clean or not.  Even if you are both really clean, you shouldn't share your toothbrush.

30. Rosefall profile image81
    Rosefallposted 13 years ago

Yes, it's unhealthy! Gross gross gross. Your toothbrush is reaching in and scrubbing the crevices of your mouth and skimming the slime from your enamel. Throw in bloody gingivitis and you add some real nastiness to the picture! Get your own toothbrush!

31. wengfeng1989 profile image60
    wengfeng1989posted 13 years ago

it is unhealthy,and I  dont think people should share toothbrushes

32. wholesaletoys profile image60
    wholesaletoysposted 13 years ago

It all depends on who you are sharing it with.  If they have a cold and so on.  Please don't share it with your dog...lol.

33. nancyme profile image61
    nancymeposted 13 years ago

Yes, definitely. And it's really gross. That reminds me of the How I Met Your Mother episode, anyway.

34. profile image49
    pria22posted 13 years ago

It is so unhealthy...Atleast this is some thing we should never share...
    Stay healthy...

www.quotesfairy.com

35. FranYo profile image60
    FranYoposted 13 years ago

It's so funny to see this oh-so-popular Question here, and SO many emphatic opinions...

As for me, while I do find myself kinda cringing when my husband needs to use my brush, I realize that we've shared many other orifices and, I'm sure, germs for 25 years.  So, hey, why should I worry?

Have any of you seen the HS video of all the microbes and bacteria that live on your face, the video of the organisms on your eyelashes alone will make you think twice about some spit on a toothbrush.

36. Mammas7 profile image59
    Mammas7posted 13 years ago

Dentist says it is and u should change every three to six months and especially after u had a cold or were sick...hummm, I'm agreeing with dentist!

37. cosmetic dentists profile image61
    cosmetic dentistsposted 12 years ago

Seen as there will be bacteria on the toothbrush and germs, I would say it is not a good idea to share a toothbrush with someone. Germs have a habit of getting around the household with little help as it is...

38. drsohel profile image68
    drsohelposted 12 years ago

It's definitely unhealthy as there are many disease can be transmitted. But recent days rechargeable electric toothbrushes are available with sanitizer that destroys disease transmitting agent from brush head. These types of brush can be shared. But it's better not to do it. You can use the handles of these brush and just change the brush head.

To know about these brush visit: http://rechargeabletoothbrushinfo.com

39. froch profile image61
    frochposted 12 years ago

I thinks that this is unhealthy ;-) Special if you are sharing it with many people ;-)

40. sanathara profile image60
    sanatharaposted 12 years ago

Sharing a toothbrush with someone is unhealthy,not only from hygienic point of view but from a medical point as well.Toothbrushes are used to wipe away the bacteria.Since bacteria are difficult to kill by merely rinsing the toothbrush,though most of us follow the same.If someone else uses that same toothbrush,then all the bacteria transmitted to that person and vice versa.
    In other words it is not just sharing the toothbrush ,but passing bacteria and some contagious disease to each other.

41. crazymom3 profile image69
    crazymom3posted 12 years ago

Yes.  Infectious diseases can be easily spread from one person to another and even back to yourself.  For example if you have had the flue or a cold, you can re-infect yourself unless you disinfect the toothbrush by boiling, dipping it in bleach for ten minutes etc., or just throw it away and get a new one.  However, when your kids have dipped your brush in the toilet and you are desperate to brush--I can honestly confess I have used my husband's.  Such is love!! for better or worse!

42. Blond Logic profile image93
    Blond Logicposted 12 years ago

Yes definitely. The human mouth harbors more germs than any other part of the body.

I don't care how clean the other person is or appears to be, I would rather use my finger to brush my teeth than use someone else's toothbrush. Anyone who knows me would never ask to loan my toothbrush.

I am a pretty easy going person but this is the one thing I draw the line on.

43. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 12 years ago

Oh God yes!   Germs galore.  Never!

44. profile image0
    u01dtj6posted 12 years ago

Most definitely. Sharing bacteria of the mouth with someone else is very unhealthy. Why would you want to do that anyway?

45. frugalfamily profile image72
    frugalfamilyposted 12 years ago

It is very unhealthy because I DON"T SHARE.  So if you are staying at my house, do not attempt to "share" my tooth brush.  Any attempt of that nature is a risk to your health..you follow me?

46. bonjovigirl2011 profile image59
    bonjovigirl2011posted 12 years ago

I thnk it is unhealthy cause of monno. If that person is sick with something , you can get it too. Also they say it take hundreds o saliva to get IHV and that is a good start.

47. luvmygirlz profile image65
    luvmygirlzposted 12 years ago

I don't know if it's unhealthy, but I would think so. I do know that it's just NASTY to do that though! EWWW

48. profile image0
    DilaraMawlaMonzurposted 12 years ago

Just the thought of the idea  gives a sick feeling. Unhygienic indeed!

49. EQTactics profile image61
    EQTacticsposted 12 years ago

I believe so because when you use a toothbrush your germs spread all over the handle and bristles so when someone else uses it (Not in the family) they'll get germs on their hands and on their teeth

50. profile image52
    merrynowickiposted 12 years ago

I think Something is not shared like our toothbrush and many other its our personal thing so how we can share it.
    http://primemango.net/

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)