jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How do you deal with a "difficult" sibling?

1. K. Burns Darling profile image83
    K. Burns Darlingposted 6 years ago

How do you deal with a "difficult" sibling?

They say that every family has one; Do you?  They are spoiled, self-centered, ego-maniacal, and narcissistic, they think the whole world revolves around them and they make every holiday and family event about getting attention for them.  When you are in the position of having to care for an elderly parent, they pick at every thing you do, but never do anything themselves, except make your life hard that is. They are a walking bomb of public embarrassment...How do you diffuse the situation?

2. Doctor Kristy profile image90
    Doctor Kristyposted 6 years ago

While I was studying psychology, I read a book about how to communicate with the mentally unstable people of this world.

I use the techniques I learned in the book to talk to my family, and we've never gotten along better!

3. tyler_richmond profile image53
    tyler_richmondposted 6 years ago

I think that every family does have one. The way i dealt with mine was to stand my ground and let them know that your not going to put up with their BS, this lead to a confrontation (which i didn't mind at all) but it ended the problem quickly and effectively. You can't let them establish dominance over you, i know that may sound primitive but whether we like to admit it every human has a primitive side and the brain knows when to revert back to that and dominance is always in that little section of instincts and primitive nature. So if they like attention then you give it to them, the next time they do something you confront them in front of everyone (giving them a taste of their own medicine)

4. profile image0
    lostwithinmyselfposted 6 years ago

I have a brother who is like this. I have cut him out my life because i can not deal with his issues which he won't admit too. Sad as it is i do miss him, but he thinks he can do no wrong and my mother thinks the sun shines out his back side. His stole off her, hit her you name it his done it and yet she still think his the best. This hurts a lot so in the end i moved and delete both him and my mother from my life. x

working