jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)

Do you think sexual education classes are necessary?

1. fit2day profile image74
    fit2dayposted 6 years ago

Do you think sexual education classes are necessary?

2. Keith Matyi profile image60
    Keith Matyiposted 6 years ago

Yes, I think they are necessary because a lot of parents teach their children absolutely nothing about sex and procreation.

3. lorenmurcia profile image88
    lorenmurciaposted 6 years ago

Yes, but I think it depends on the level of the students. You know when I teach about the reproductive system to my class, there are always a lot of guffaws. But later on, they get serious about learning this particular system of the body. They are more focused on the structure rather than you know what I mean.

4. ithabise profile image84
    ithabiseposted 6 years ago

Well 'necessary' NO, because that's what parents are for; but because parents are shirking their responsibility, we have to have school and other institutions do what the home won't do these days. So I guess my answer is 'yes', but only for contingency. It's a shame.

5. cre8ivOne profile image77
    cre8ivOneposted 6 years ago

Unfortunately, parents are becoming less inclined to teach their children about sex.  Kids learn their information from tv and hearsay.  Having a class in late middle school is the appropriate time to discuss the topics that will be awkward and confusing but essential so they are equipped to know the truth about it. 

I don't agree with bringing these topics up in elementary school.  Even though your middle schooler will probably hate taking that class they will later on appreciate having the knowledge..

6. mbwalz profile image90
    mbwalzposted 6 years ago

Absolutely. Studies have shown that parents have forgotten or are not up to date with the latest research.

Although parents need to play an integral roll in teaching the information and passing on their personal beliefs, there's no way a parent can be expected to know as much about general sexual health as someone trained to teach it.

I have also found that "sex ed" has been transformed into a class about healthy sexuality as well as sexual problems such as STDs, AIDS. It has the best information about puberty. But it has also become a health class which contains information about nutrition, substance abuse, and mental health information. This gives the kids better opportunities to get the resources they need if there are problems. It can also help them understand if they are in an unhealthy home or relationship situation. How else would a kid know without information!

Sex Ed is way more than just the basics now. Sexuality is as much a part of our general well being as all the other health issues they learn about.

7. carolp profile image80
    carolpposted 6 years ago

Yes...this helps the teenagers in understanding more about sex, the opposite sex, sexual intimacy. Awareness about advantages and disadvantages about having sex sooner or later, protection from sickness and early pregnancy.

8. Alecia Murphy profile image80
    Alecia Murphyposted 6 years ago

Yes and I speak from experience as a shy, awkward only child.  I understand some parents are weary but like many have said children will learn from friends and media. I just didn't want to learn but what my sexual education class taught me was the harsh realities of sex and sexuality. While I didn't get the ins and outs, it taught me enough to have an idea about how I wanted to conduct myself in that regard. Also no matter  how awesome sex is in theory, there needs to be a strong emphasis on responsibility, maturity, and insight before you do something that unfortunately will kill you if you aren't careful.

9. profile image0
    nomadicasianposted 6 years ago

Yes, I think, but not to the extent that the teaching process will go beyond the borders of moral decency.

10. edhan profile image60
    edhanposted 6 years ago

It will allow young children to understand and know what it is all about instead of guessing or finding out the hard ways.

Some times parents do not talk about these stuffs with their children (we do discuss with our children though) and they will find out through their friends that might give the wrong thing or ideas.

It is best if school can conduct basic understanding of sex in classes so it will allow children to know at least the basic knowledge instead of exploring themselves in a wrong way.

11. onegoodwoman profile image77
    onegoodwomanposted 6 years ago

People will instinctly know what sex is................it is the way of the world.

What we can " teach", is birth control methods, ways to not be imtimated into  having sex before you want to, that sex is a natural process, and that desires and fantasies are not evil.

Choices, and the agencies that support, without influencing, those choices, is what we  need to make available.

AS the mother of 3 girls, any one of who could be a scared, or confused teen, I want "teachers", to tell her, not first of abortion , adoption, or medications, but FIRST, that her mother would embrace her and assist her.

I want the nurse, counselor, teacher, to reinforce, to my daughter, that her mother was the very first person, who loved her..............her challenges in life will not dismiss that FACT.

I, as a mother, want the school officials to work with me......not against me.  You serve the public, I serve my own children.

12. ii3rittles profile image84
    ii3rittlesposted 6 years ago

Well, thanks to MTV, NOPE!

A special thanks to Jersey Shore, The Real World, Rap music videos, some rock music videos, and Madonna.

On a more serious note... I think it should be the parents responsibility to teach their child about sex, not some "teacher" or "sex-ed" class.