jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Is it truly possible to naturally restore your eyesight using exercises and diet

1. Ben Zoltak profile image85
    Ben Zoltakposted 6 years ago

Is it truly possible to naturally restore your eyesight using exercises and diet?

Considering your credentials Miz Inglish, I believe you are better adapted to answering this question than most.  I recently found an old out of date high school prescription and was considering doing the eye exercises and massage I read about to see if I can muscle up my eyes at least back to the old prescription, unless it's all balderdash. My vision gets worse every year and I feel like if there was a natural remedy it would be suppressed by the many people who profit from selling eye wear. I'd love to hear your take on the subject. Ben

2. profile image0
    icountthetimesposted 6 years ago

Health and diet can achieve an awful lot, but I really don't think this would be possible.

3. Patty Inglish, MS profile image93
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 6 years ago

This is an interesting question. My eyesight (myopia/astigmatism) has actually improved several times, the biggest surprise being that astigmatism completely disappeared 6 years ago. My optometrist was also surprised.

My prescription at the time had been very good, providing the clearest vision I'd had in a long time. Perhaps that helped exercise the eyes. For me, I wear glasses always when driving, but at other times, find I need them less and less often. Never for reading.

Nutrition and eye exercises may have some affect on eyesight and some people take bilberry in capsule form to support eyesight. Many say that it helps.

I don't do much consciously to improve eyesight, besides to eat healthy foods, so perhaps its a miracle smile

4. Ben Zoltak profile image85
    Ben Zoltakposted 6 years ago

Thank you for the answers. I have pretty heavy prescription nearsightedness, enough that when I take my glasses off, anything more than about 8 inches from my face is a blur. I've also heard that too much sugar can also have an adverse/diabetic affect to vision damage, so I will cut down on my candy addiction. Maybe I'll treat this as an ongoing test, doing the exercises, eating more bilberry and blueberries *thanks P.I. !!!* and see if it will make a difference, sounds like it's supposed to take months, we'll see...or we won't.

5. Angel709 profile image60
    Angel709posted 6 years ago

There used to be a program called the "see clearly method", I'm not sure if it's still around but it would be my first approach if my eyes were to start giving way.  I've always had great vision (thankfully), so I cannot attest to the actual claims. 

However, using common knowledge...The eye has muscle and muscle can be improved with nutrition and exercise.  Many challenges we face with health is due to a lack of oxygen reaching the muscle tissue and causes deterioration of some sort. The eyes follow this same rule and need oxygen to stay healthy which can be increased with the right food and exercise.

It also made sense when I read a report that said, back when it was common to be outdoors (farmers, etc), more people needed bifocals to see up close because they utilized seeing farther out more often.  Now that we are up close to computer screens and stay indoors more often, more people have problems seeing at a distance.  I'm sure there are always exceptions to rules but it is a proven fact that eyeglass prescriptions do not improve vision, but tends to make it worse.