How Do We Encourage People to talk about Vision Impairment?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)
  1. Bretsuki profile image69
    Bretsukiposted 12 years ago

Looking at the vision impaired section of the Topics area I see that I am one of about three people in the group.
    That is a little sad. How can we encourage more people to come to our area of Hubpages? It would be a wonderful place to create a vibrant community.

Let's see if we can brainstorm and grow our membership on Hubpages.

2. Katharella profile image75
    Katharellaposted 12 years ago

Hi Bretsuki, You make a great point. I was blind up until last month. So it is sad people not posting there. I think with me, I'm so happy to have my eyesight restored (with glasses), it's not that I don't want to offer support to others, I think being blind made me very depressed and not up with the world. Now going back there, and understanding how it feels, makes me depressed all over again. I'd love to help people, but don't want them to feel like I'm giving them a pity party either, as that's just not nice. I didn't like it when people did it to me. But some people think if you can move around, you should see what they see and it's not the case. I became unsociable because people expected too much, and I grew tired of saying "I'm blind" and they say "well you're walking around".. that's because I can see an opening, and I know shapes and colors. I withdrew a lot and am just learning to come out of that phase. It's hard. People don't understand.

3. Bretsuki profile image69
    Bretsukiposted 12 years ago

Hello katharella,
    Thank you for your comment. I can appreciate what you are saying.  I have come across the same attitudes too. I even discussed a similar thing with a colleague at work.
    They seemed quite amazed when I told them how liitle I can actually see, No color, just shades of grey at best and contrasting light and dark. Their reply was "but you get around ok."

For me keeping busy is a way of keeping the dogs of self pity at bay. I know everyone is different so won't preach on that.

I am happy for you that you have been able to gain some sight recently and wish you all the best for the future.

4. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

Hi folks!
    My eyesight is good, but I am almost alone in my household. All the rest of the family have poor eyesight.

We manage OK, as the new glasses the little ones have seems to allow them reasonable sight, although my 14 year old granddaughter has very little sight without her glasses and just sees enough to know where the furniture is.

I am hoping that some new invention will come along soon to help those with low vision. Happy days! smile

1. Bretsuki profile image69
      Bretsukiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hello earnestshub,
      Thanks for taking the time to post. I can empathize with your grand daughter, that is about the level of my vision too.
      I am eccited about the times we live in though. Even where there is no improvement in actual vision, there is an overflow of technologies which are basically to help sighted people, but have possible impacts for the visually impaired. For instance on the latesst iPhones there are apps that can be adapted by the visually impaired such as text reading software for e-mail and translators where one can upload text for the phone to read.
      Also exciting, if I'll ever be able to afford it is the advances in automobile technology, I miss the freedom of driving, maybe I will see the new cars like those which  are being designed with sensors and can operate themselves as a reality. The thing is having made the car able to drive itseld, can we next have a fuel pump which will not require the driver to press hundreds of buttons, following instructions on scratched LCD screens! Or maybe the fuelcompanies will just pay someone to fill our cars up! Nah now that is a fantasy never to happen. LOL

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)